Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 06:56 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,409 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, does Tampa feel southern culturally? I lived in Miami for a while and it doesn't feel southern at all, it feels more like cuba or latin america, but for example Tallahassee does feel pretty southern. What do you guys think??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 08:55 AM

127 posts, read 427,379 times
Southern? No. Tampa feels more like Miami than Tallahassee

Old 03-31-2008, 09:23 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjr View Post
Thats too bad, i heard it felt pretty Southern

Old 03-31-2008, 09:52 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjr View Post
hell no it doesn't feel like Miami which is why I moved here. Certain parts of hillsborough are very "yall bess not come round here no mo".

Old 03-31-2008, 09:59 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Tampa feels mid-way between Miami and Tally. Tampa has always had a very diverse mix of ethnicities, but because this area has a lot of descendents from the European Latins, as well as many transplants from the north and midwest, you still have a feeling of being in an American city. I hear that Miami feels almost completely Latino now, Cuban, Islands etc.

What specifically are you wanting in a "southern" community - Tampa is a very friendly city. I was born here but my hubby has lived in many other places and thinks the people are great. He works in government, with many different ethnic groups represented.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Tampa feels like a cross between southern and further south in FL/transplants (not Miami, which is mostly Caribbean/Latin infulences). As a result, it feels kind of Midwestern, in a good way. People in Tampa tend to be down to earth.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:41 PM

396 posts, read 1,630,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
hell no it doesn't feel like Miami which is why I moved here. Certain parts of hillsborough are very "yall bess not come round here no mo".
Made me smile. Tampa is certainly not a city filled with "southern hospitality" if that's what you mean.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:13 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,901,337 times
I've lived on the east coast, west coast and midwest. Never in the south, but have obviously been through. I've met people from all those places in Tampa, and definitely heard the accents!

Tampa feels like a melting pot of all those places to me.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:34 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,301,824 times
I don't know if Tampa fully feels southern but it has certain elements. Hillsborough County, however, definitely has strong southern feelings as long as you're not in a development.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:40 PM

85 posts, read 334,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post
Made me smile. Tampa is certainly not a city filled with "southern hospitality" if that's what you mean.

Sorry to have to agree with this comment. There are little pockets of Tampa that every now and then give me a feeling that I'm nestled in the south as far as the accents, but other than that, not much of any southern comfort to be found so far. It was different on my first move to Florida in back in the '90s to the Kissimee area, but then I here its not so friendly in my old town anymore either.

And no I'm not going back up north, the weather makes up for most everything else. On another note, I do understand some of the resentments some people feel towards some of us transplants. You rude obnoxious northers, shame on you. : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay