U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 10:19 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,905,208 times

Advertisements

That was a wonderful rain. My garden is so happy. We got almost zero rain this month and only about 10 inches all year up until yesterday. But wow, yeah, most of that water came down in like an hour or something. Then we had an all day drizzle interspersed with some normal rains. The plants are so green today. Beautiful.

But that much rain and one time did do some damage. I think it disrupted a crow family I'd been watching and enjoying. I'm very upset today. I hadn't seen the parent crows visit the nest at all yesterday and not yet today. Though I think I just heard and quickly saw one of them. I think I saw one baby still in the tree--they were just in the last week starting to stretch their wings--but I suspect one might be on the ground in a neighbor's yard so the parents are probably working to protect it there. I assume they're feeding the one still in the tree too. They've been very attentive up until now. Super fun to watch. Crows are very smart birds. But also we have hawks here so it could get dicey for them. Nature can be so cruel. I don't know why everyone isn't vegetarian.

As to temporary flooding issues by such a deluge, we do have some very small hills aka the terracing of the Temple Terrace but generally this area has some of the highest elevations of Hillsborough County including I think the very highest point in the county. The soil here generally is well draining. I've noticed that myself, being a gardener, but also when my neighbor redid their septic system they were told by professionals that this is the stuff that they would bring into a non-draining area to correct drainage issues.

Though I did see a report of an alligator swimming on Fowler, which I think is so funny, any flooding by deluge is generally gone within 10-15 minutes of settling into the soil once the heaviest rains stop. And that was an odd rain, pretty much tropical storm conditions regarding the amount of water. Also this area through where the Hillsborough River winds is very flood controlled--generally no additional insurance required--both on the river itself (the Tampa Reservoir to our south, damming water that a storm might try to drive up from the bay, there's also a levee system to the north in Flatwoods) and of course with the Tampa Bypass, The Harney, & Thonotosassa canals which hook into the river system as flood control.

Flooding of the river is no longer an issue. Good for Temple Terrace and Tampa. Not so good for the river. Here's a write up on that. http://www.hillsborough.wateratlas.u...roughRiver.pdf

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 05-03-2014 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 10:37 AM

8,704 posts, read 9,327,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
That was a wonderful rain. My garden is so happy. We got almost zero rain this month and only about 10 inches all year up until yesterday. But wow, yeah, most of that water came down in like an hour or something. Then we had an all day drizzle interspersed with some normal rains. The plants are so green today. Beautiful.

But that much rain and one time did do some damage. I think it disrupted a crow family I'd been watching and enjoying. I'm very upset today. I hadn't seen the parent crows visit the nest at all yesterday and not yet today. Though I think I just heard and quickly saw one of them. I think I saw one baby still in the tree--they were just in the last week starting to stretch their wings--but I suspect one might be on the ground in a neighbor's yard so the parents are probably working to protect it there. I assume they're feeding the one still in the tree too. They've been very attentive up until now. Super fun to watch. Crows are very smart birds. But also we have hawks here so it could get dicey for them. Nature can be so cruel. I don't know why everyone isn't vegetarian.

As to temporary flooding issues by such a deluge, we do have some very small hills aka the terracing of the Temple Terrace but generally this area has some of the highest elevations of Hillsborough County including I think the very highest point in the county. The soil here generally is well draining. I've noticed that myself, being a gardener, but also when my neighbor redid their septic system they were told by professionals that this is the stuff that they would bring into a non-draining area to correct drainage issues.

Though I did see a report of an alligator swimming on Fowler, which I think is so funny, any flooding by deluge is generally gone within 10-15 minutes of settling into the soil once the heaviest rains stop. And that was an odd rain, pretty much tropical storm conditions regarding the amount of water. Also this area through where the Hillsborough River winds is very flood controlled--generally no additional insurance required--both on the river itself (the Tampa Reservoir to our south, damming water that a storm might try to drive up from the bay, there's also a levee system to the north in Flatwoods) and of course with the Tampa Bypass, The Harney, & Thonotosassa canals which hook into the river system as flood control.

Flooding of the river is no longer an issue. Good for Temple Terrace and Tampa. Not so good for the river. Here's a write up on that. http://www.hillsborough.wateratlas.u...roughRiver.pdf
There were a lot of questions about how the city is or is not keeping up with the drainage system, which could have contributed.

This is why I always carry flood insurance, as one never knows when that type of system is going to park itself over their house. I saw it happen in MA, where the unthinkable happened with training type rains many years ago. The ground can only hold so much. Seeing the flooding happen in TT should be a wake-up call for everyone no matter where they live to get flood insurance, if their house is of any substantial value.

I am glad the water receded quickly there. I hope today's rains can be handled better. I felt real bad seeing that business owner trying his best to get the water back out of his establishment.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
There were a lot of questions about how the city is or is not keeping up with the drainage system, which could have contributed.

This is why I always carry flood insurance, as one never knows when that type of system is going to park itself over their house. I saw it happen in MA, where the unthinkable happened with training type rains many years ago. The ground can only hold so much. Seeing the flooding happen in TT should be a wake-up call for everyone no matter where they live to get flood insurance, if their house is of any substantial value.

I am glad the water receded quickly there. I hope today's rains can be handled better. I felt real bad seeing that business owner trying his best to get the water back out of his establishment.
With regard to flooding, you simply have to watch how the water moves. If you live on a hill itself and your property is somewhat sloped, it won't collect there. But obviously if you live at the bottom of a bowl of four hills coming together in a valley, you might want to consider insurance because there is for practical purposes no system of drainage--outside of praying for a sinkhole to open and snap shut real quick--which will alleviate that situation as it occurs. Where I think there was some significant flooding here was at 56th & Fowler and to look there even when perfectly dry, well, duh! There are very obvious hills coming down from 50th at the museum plus you have to climb a decent hilled area heading south on 56th towards city hall and it inclines more gently, but actually up to where I think it is the highest point in the county up around Fletcher and 56th, up towards the wilderness areas, and there's a very slight incline on Fowler heading east towards that bend of the river. So you have all that newly poured surface water emptying onto one intersection.

That much water in that short of a period of time filling into a bowl, nothing will stop that. That's not a residential taxpayer problem. Businesses there are free to build--or insure--accordingly. For anyone who does want insurance--and you are right to note that if your property is prone to hold water, that should be considered--the rates here are low because it is a very low risk area.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
With regard to flooding, you simply have to watch how the water moves. If you live on a hill itself and your property is somewhat sloped, it won't collect there. But obviously if you live at the bottom of a bowl of four hills coming together in a valley, you might want to consider insurance because there is for practical purposes no system of drainage--outside of praying for a sinkhole to open and snap shut real quick--which will alleviate that situation as it occurs. Where I think there was some significant flooding here was at 56th & Fowler and to look there even when perfectly dry, well, duh! There are very obvious hills coming down from 50th at the museum plus you have to climb a decent hilled area heading south on 56th towards city hall and it inclines more gently, but actually up to where I think it is the highest point in the county up around Fletcher and 56th, up towards the wilderness areas, and there's a very slight incline on Fowler heading east towards that bend of the river. So you have all that newly poured surface water emptying onto one intersection.

That much water in that short of a period of time filling into a bowl, nothing will stop that. That's not a residential taxpayer problem. Businesses there are free to build--or insure--accordingly. For anyone who does want insurance--and you are right to note that if your property is prone to hold water, that should be considered--the rates here are low because it is a very low risk area.
That is great detail of the area and I agree people should pay more attention to that. That was one of the many things we looked at when buying our house. We wanted a driveway (and lot) which went uphill somewhat to the house. Some of the other house lots where simply too flat for our liking, when thinking about flooding.....even small flooding.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
That is great detail of the area and I agree people should pay more attention to that. That was one of the many things we looked at when buying our house. We wanted a driveway (and lot) which went uphill somewhat to the house. Some of the other house lots where simply too flat for our liking, when thinking about flooding.....even small flooding.
Being in Florida and on and near water for so long and involved in construction, I'm very aware of water issues. When I bought here I was aware of the slopes surrounding me and of my property itself, even digging a dry retention holding area at my lowest point which I have seen fill up.

The one curious thing about downward sloping drives is that generally you're responsible for holding water that falls on your property but sloping drives without a barrier pour it out onto the street, sometimes making your water your downhill neighbor's problem. If your drive connects to an impermeable driveway courtyard, that can produce a lot of runoff.

I just looked at some geo data on that intersection and found two surprises to me. One is that where I thought was the highest point is not, rather city hall looks higher at 70something feet. Also though three directions slope down towards the intersection as I previously described, heading east from there slopes down towards the river so normally should drain that intersection. It was just that much water that fast pouring down the other three sides.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 6,799 times
We have decided to stay in FL instead of moving to TN and now my research for affordable clean housing has centered around Temple Terrace still as I like the area, plus my church home is here and I don't want to be far from there when I plan to attend as I have to rely on someone to pick me up as due to my health I no longer drive. There is a community center in Temple Terrace that offers a program, where the driver for a very small sum will pick up those who no longer drive, but are over the age of 55 and take them to appts within the Temple Terrace area. I have also been considering another area south of Adamo Drive past IKEA, but I have not been down to that area in a long time and do not know if it is affordable or the crime rate, which is very important to me. I would love to find a nice house, with a yard for planting flowers and vegetables, plus I am entertaining a dog for companionship. I want to live among true neighbors, the kind who say hello, watch out for each other and who keep their lawns up. I hope that some of you know the areea and have some positive input.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Being in Florida and on and near water for so long and involved in construction, I'm very aware of water issues. When I bought here I was aware of the slopes surrounding me and of my property itself, even digging a dry retention holding area at my lowest point which I have seen fill up.

The one curious thing about downward sloping drives is that generally you're responsible for holding water that falls on your property but sloping drives without a barrier pour it out onto the street, sometimes making your water your downhill neighbor's problem. If your drive connects to an impermeable driveway courtyard, that can produce a lot of runoff.

I just looked at some geo data on that intersection and found two surprises to me. One is that where I thought was the highest point is not, rather city hall looks higher at 70something feet. Also though three directions slope down towards the intersection as I previously described, heading east from there slopes down towards the river so normally should drain that intersection. It was just that much water that fast pouring down the other three sides.

You always have excellent info. Our road has a gutter drainage system and the center of the road has a peak, so the water is forced back down into the gutter. We also live on a cul de sac road and the road runs downhill enoungh to run it away from our house. I have not noticed what happens when the water gets into the cul de sac though.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:21 PM

5 posts, read 6,799 times
The water drainage is a huge concern of mine even though I no longer drive. My daughter has to drive and we have a low riding car and this last heavy rainwater concerned me with her driving through the water and ruining our car, which we could not afford to repair. Our parking lot was flooded and our great maintenance team had to unplug the drains which many times all over the city of Tampa are never done. I am still looking at areas whenever we are out for a place to move when my lease is up. I am mainly moving because of the amount that I am paying, plus I want a place that has a tile floor not carpet as I want to get a dog, plus tile will allow me to get around easier. I hope that you don't have any issues with the water rolling down the slopes and draining properly as the area in Temple Terrace has a lot of up and down slopes due to the many beautiful trees that make up this wonderful area and that seems to take the pricing up because people are looking for tree lined yards and there is a lot of land around many of these houses that is driving the prices up now that younger people are selling their parent's homes. I hope that I can find a house that I can afford in this area to rent for a couple of years until I am able to buy it.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:05 PM

5,675 posts, read 5,593,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendamyday View Post
The water drainage is a huge concern of mine even though I no longer drive. My daughter has to drive and we have a low riding car and this last heavy rainwater concerned me with her driving through the water and ruining our car, which we could not afford to repair. Our parking lot was flooded and our great maintenance team had to unplug the drains which many times all over the city of Tampa are never done. I am still looking at areas whenever we are out for a place to move when my lease is up. I am mainly moving because of the amount that I am paying, plus I want a place that has a tile floor not carpet as I want to get a dog, plus tile will allow me to get around easier. I hope that you don't have any issues with the water rolling down the slopes and draining properly as the area in Temple Terrace has a lot of up and down slopes due to the many beautiful trees that make up this wonderful area and that seems to take the pricing up because people are looking for tree lined yards and there is a lot of land around many of these houses that is driving the prices up now that younger people are selling their parent's homes. I hope that I can find a house that I can afford in this area to rent for a couple of years until I am able to buy it.
brenda, best wishes and good luck to you. We need folks like you who enjoy the area and make a positive impact. I agree about the tile floors.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:11 AM

182 posts, read 186,975 times
TT is great, but like any city, there are SURROUNDING areas with more crime or negatives. I live in the old section EAST of 56th where I am located between two golf course holes. Never a break in or crime at my house since built in 1954.. We have lower crime than most of tampa. Very pretty, great police and friendly people. We don't have a lot of mcmansions, but some really good deals here. Hope it helps someone even though orig poster was a while back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay