U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:07 AM

877 posts, read 1,699,991 times

Advertisements

Don't forget The Brass Tap The Brass Tap | Tampa Bay Bar | Beer Bar Tampa | Wine and Cigar Bar

It's nice having a decent place to go to in the New Tampa/Wesley Chapel area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 12:34 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,470,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProg305 View Post
Wwanderer,
Totally agree with you on your perception of Dunedin. Dunedin's great! Every time I visit I find something else I like, and that's a lot to be said for a relatively small town. I love the compact, picturesque, well-maintained, historic downtown and all of the independent shops. Dunedin brewery is always fun and I've only gone to the House of Beer once but I loved it. I love how the Pinellas Trail cuts right through downtown Dunedin and the surrounding residential neighborhoods. I see that you also live in Toronto during less frigid months. I love Toronto. Sorry, just had to throw that in there. Great city!
Thanks JProg305, we do love Toronto, we live right downtown near U. of T., although we've escaped the heat for much of this summer in favour of the north woods. We feel blessed that we can have the best of the north, and hoping, some of the best of the south too. We're a 15 minute walk from the brewery, right on the edge of the Dunedin historic downtown. No chains in sight!

Old 08-21-2011, 12:49 PM

295 posts, read 1,344,750 times
Quote:
Wwanderer,
gumbyfly,
I know how that is too. I homebrew and have a bunch of buddies who do too. Have you been to the places I mentioned? Leon Pub is the most casual of the lot, and has the best beer list. Fermentation Lounge is a little trendier and it has a small, intimate (cramped, standing room only) vibe.
I went to Leon Pub once, and left immediately. It was kind of small, and the place absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke. I love good beer; but I am not going to sit in a smoke-filled dive just to have a drink. Ended up at Finnegan's Wake, which was a bit better, without the variety of beer.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:54 PM

244 posts, read 840,080 times
Yep, Leon Pub is definitely smokey. It helps to go earlier before the crowds get there. I always found Finnegan's Wake to be intolerable when there's a crowd. It's not smokey, but it's full of Alpha frat boy jerks. Not fun.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:35 PM

Ahem, is anybody out there? I thought this thread would generate more discussion. Surely there's more beer nerds like me in the Tampa Bay area.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:27 AM

15,862 posts, read 33,273,236 times
Quote:
Ahem, is anybody out there? I thought this thread would generate more discussion. Surely there's more beer nerds like me in the Tampa Bay area.
JProg - thought you might be interested in this. Sarasota Beer Festival this weekend:

Sarasota Beer Festival preview | Alan Shaw | Ticket Sarasota

Old 08-26-2011, 03:16 PM

1,480 posts, read 4,636,499 times
Is it me, or does it seem like Shep's sells their beer nearly at bar prices? It seems expensive to me. The Rally station on 4th St. & 22nd Ave N. actually has a nice selection. They let you mix & match, too.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:55 PM

Yeah, some of Shep's beers are pretty expensive, especially the six packs. I like to go there and buy 2 or 3 big bottles of craft beer or rare imports and leave quickly before I spend my savings. Rally's is great too. Both are walking distance from my place. One of the reasons I like Shep's is because they strike a good balance between imports and craft brews. I don't like it when places specialize in one or the other.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,052,376 times
I live near Shep's but I'll drive to Total Wine on Park if I am buying a considerable amount of beer. Shep's prices are much, much higher.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:54 AM

1,480 posts, read 4,636,499 times
Quote:
One of the reasons I like Shep's is because they strike a good balance between imports and craft brews. I don't like it when places specialize in one or the other.
That's true. Shep's is the only place I've seen Stiegl. Not only is it delicious, but it makes my wife and me nostalgic. When we were in Salzburg, Austria we could buy a pint-sized bottle of it for 1 euro out of a vending machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or