U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 06:10 PM

5 posts, read 3,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Homes View Post
Insults aside, it is a highly desirable area, a great place to live (my opinion, it all depends on the life style you would like) and great when it's time to sell again. In that case a highly rated school district is important. However, as I pointed out earlier, it all depends on the wants and needs of the particular client. Commissions are irrelevant as the price is the same regardless of where they live.

My wife and I happen to love South Tampa and would trade in a larger home to simply live in that particular area. Others may be more happy with a larger home with HOA and a commute. It's all a matter of personal preference.
Can you clarify what you mean by South Tampa, honestly I am using google maps so I see the small community names. How far south do you go before you are out of Tampa per se?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 11:23 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,550,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavezdomingo View Post
Thanks for the positive feedback so far, I appreciate the help, home value in the long run is important to my wife and I so being near quality schools is something I hadn't thought about. I think something that is also important is the ability to put up a fence. I know certain areas have zoning laws that make it difficult. I have been on Homes.com looking at a lot of homes in St. Pete neighborhoods and south Tampa and the outlying areas (Valrico, Brandon, Fish Hawk. etc..). There is a large price difference but that is to be expected when you get farther away from the heart of the show which is the base and downtown Tampa, as well as water (it is Florida, people go there for sun and water). I'm not a fan of crime, we want to feel relatively safe in our castle. We don't mind driving to water as there is plenty of it in your great state.. We are also both very active outdoors enthusiasts (triathlons, marathons, hiking, etc..).
This is a crazy price for a house in St. Petersburg on a water front community. I wish I was ready to make a move, otherwise I would not post this

4171 Whiting Dr SE, St Petersburg, FL 33705 (http://myfloridahomesmls.com/prop/U7500282 - broken link)

PS... I found that the best site. Do your own parameter search, and you don't' have to register with a realtor to get full access. They notify you by email of any new listings that match your search or searches.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:56 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,039,892 times
Coquina Key is, to put it mildly, is in the middle of a rather "challenging" area.

Just take a drive to the property and you will know why the price is so low.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:08 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,605,110 times
I'm all hung up on "decent sized lot." How big of a lot are you thinking about? That will really help guide us in good answers. You should probably know that lot sizes in newer subdivisions are going to be (MOL) 40-50 feet wide by 90-110 feet deep. A good portion of the lots in South Tampa that used to be twice that size, have been split into two and re-built. The minimum lot size in SoTa is 50 x 100.

If you're looking for a 1/2 acre or more, it will probably be located in a more rural area than has been recommended.

P.S. South Tampa is defined as the mini-peninsula just South of Kennedy Boulevard.

P.S.P.S. Homesdotcom is a marketing firm; not all the listed properties are there; nor is it up to date. You should use the site that avb3 posted above for searching local property on the internet. It's a little kludgy but all the active listings are there and it's the best public access site for the area. Here's the link again --> http://www.myfloridahomesmls.com/

Last edited by TampaKaren; 08-23-2011 at 07:39 AM..

Old 08-23-2011, 07:45 AM

15,785 posts, read 32,967,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
Coquina Key is, to put it mildly, is in the middle of a rather "challenging" area.

Just take a drive to the property and you will know why the price is so low.
I agree. And just for the heck of it I looked up the address on Google map, and the neighborhood didn't look so great. No wonder the house seems so "reasonable." Someone "overimproved" for the neighborhood, big time.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:13 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 846,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
This is a crazy price for a house in St. Petersburg on a water front community. I wish I was ready to make a move, otherwise I would not post this

4171 Whiting Dr SE, St Petersburg, FL 33705 (http://myfloridahomesmls.com/prop/U7500282 - broken link)

PS... I found that the best site. Do your own parameter search, and you don't' have to register with a realtor to get full access. They notify you by email of any new listings that match your search or searches.
That house is terribly overpriced. The house was purchased at the top of the market in 2006 for $180k. It seems like the owners put some money into it, but houses lost about 40% from the top of the market. I assume the owners are asking for $240k because taking less would put them underwater. But, subtract 40% from 2006 value of $240k, and you're talking about a $145k house. There's a reason that house has been sitting on the market at that price for over 6 months...

Also, zillow.com is a significantly better search tool than the site linked above or any other site mentioned in this thread. But anyone who's seriously searching should get a realtor to sign them up for mls update emails, too. Those updates have the most up to date info; sometimes days or even weeks ahead of zillow (or realtor.com, trulia, myfloridahomes, etc). And if something is actually priced to move -- unlike the house above -- you want to be the first person in the door. Nearly all realtors will sign you up for mls update emails without you signing anything with them.

To the OP, I think Karen asked the right question: how big is a "decent size lot"? A quarter acre is a big lot in many neighborhoods.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:01 PM

5 posts, read 3,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
To the OP, I think Karen asked the right question: how big is a "decent size lot"? A quarter acre is a big lot in many neighborhoods.
That is a very good question and I apologize for not clarifying earlier. I guess we would like something in the vicinity of 1/4 acre. We have and will always have good sized dogs and the ability to have a little bit of yard is important to both of us. It is not a go/no-go criteria, but if most other things were equal we would go with the more sizable lot. Also, are there a lot of regulations in neighborhoods on fences. In NC, you can build a 6 ft privacy fence just about anywhere you want and I understand that isn't the case in certain areas of Florida? Maybe it is just in certain neighborhoods?

So far the information I have garnered here has helped quite a lot, thanks everyone for taking the time to post up.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:20 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 846,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavezdomingo View Post
That is a very good question and I apologize for not clarifying earlier. I guess we would like something in the vicinity of 1/4 acre. We have and will always have good sized dogs and the ability to have a little bit of yard is important to both of us. It is not a go/no-go criteria, but if most other things were equal we would go with the more sizable lot. Also, are there a lot of regulations in neighborhoods on fences. In NC, you can build a 6 ft privacy fence just about anywhere you want and I understand that isn't the case in certain areas of Florida? Maybe it is just in certain neighborhoods?

So far the information I have garnered here has helped quite a lot, thanks everyone for taking the time to post up.
If 1/4 acre is enough, I'd probably start by looking in northeast St. Pete. Like another poster pointed out, you can probably get waterfront on a quarter acre for 300k (or less). You'd also be a pretty quick commute to work, and relatively convenient to fun in South Tampa and downtown St. Pete. (I'd recommend you look in South Tampa, too, except I think any decent house on a quarter acre is going to be way out of your price range.) If you're fine with a commute up to an hour long, then, as others have pointed out, your price range can get you a heck of a lot of space. We didn't look much outside of Pinellas and South Tampa, so others will have to chime in with specifics there.

Restrictions re fencing will vary on a neighborhood-by-neighborhood basis. A lot of the bay area was built by planned communities and most of those have deed restrictions. At the municipal level, all you'll find are normal zoning restrictions like setbacks; probably similar to NC. So I'd imagine that a planned community like Fishhawk probably has a bunch of restrictions you want to be aware of before you buy. Something like St. Pete generally isn't going to have them (we can do pretty much whatever we want where I live in the Old NE). So I'd say that, if you're driving through a neighborhood (or using googlemaps street view), and all the houses/yards look alike, don't expect you'll be able to have a house/yard that looks much different.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:30 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,550,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
That house is terribly overpriced. The house was purchased at the top of the market in 2006 for $180k. It seems like the owners put some money into it, but houses lost about 40% from the top of the market. I assume the owners are asking for $240k because taking less would put them underwater. But, subtract 40% from 2006 value of $240k, and you're talking about a $145k house. There's a reason that house has been sitting on the market at that price for over 6 months...
Yes, I see that it sold for 180K. It LOOKS like there has been significant upgrades. I also see neighborhood equivalents are less... still, it seems like a very nice house that would be worth making an offer on. One would have to see it in person.

Quote:
Also, zillow.com is a significantly better search tool than the site linked above or any other site mentioned in this thread. But anyone who's seriously searching should get a realtor to sign them up for mls update emails, too.
Zillow does not allow you to eliminate short sales, myforidahomesmls.com does. You can set up multiple saved searches, and I get emails on any changes immedaitly, as well as new listings that fit my parameters.

I have been registered with realtor's sites, and although I know they pull from the same data set, I can't fine tune my searches as easily. In fact, I get updates quicker from myflordahomesmls.com then I do from the realtor I am in contact with.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:40 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,980,690 times
I love S. Tampa area but I also like other areas. It is more expensive because so many folks love living there. You need to ride around to different areas and see actual houses and neighborhoods. There are some walkable areas too. Most of the homes do have larger yards. There are some planned communities that have lots of restrictions plus HOAs so you really need to do your homework.

MYfloridahome.com will show you houses listed by most realtors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or