U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:27 AM

420 posts, read 776,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Where is an area similar to Water St in Milwaukee or North Ave where you have a ton of bars in a small area or on one strip of a street.

Looking for areas like this:

water st milwaukee - Google Maps

water st milwaukee - Google Maps

Ah I see 7th ave is the main st in Ybor city.
Something like Water St. would be Ybor if Water St. is a trashy place. Ybor is fun to visit during the day and can be fun at night but it's surrounded by the ghetto and can have a lot of trashy people there. Again, it can be a good time, but it can also be a horrible time. It has improved significantly since I moved to Tampa, but I'd rather go drinking on South Howard.

As someone who has lived in Tampa for 4 years, I recommend South Howard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 09:20 PM

8,107 posts, read 20,359,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
And if you can, give us a recap of what you did afterwards. Have a great time!
Had a great time! First off my previous experience with Tampa was not good, drove all over the city and it seemed dumpy and boring and plain jane in terms of neighborhoods. Perhaps I was too harsh on Tampa. That was almost 7 years ago. Now I am huge Miami-Palm Beach fan loved Delray and Boca when I was there and Miami will always be number one in my book in Florida but I think Tampa just took the 2nd spot. I didn't like Orlando the two times I was there and PCB is okay.

When I landed I was immediately impressed with the airport and how quick and easy it was leaving from the plane and then leaving Tampa I was astonished how quickly I made it through and onto my plane. In Milwaukee I had to wait like 45min in line in security and in Tampa it was mere minutes and done! I congratulated the screener and he said he hears that a lot from travelers. Then when I get home I did a little research on Tampa airport and I find out TPA is number 2 in customer satisfaction for many years and well deserved!

I was also amazed on how much traffic is in Tampa for a city it's size. I'm not saying Tampa area is small I just wasn't expecting the jams I encountered but I don't mind traffic so it wasn't a problem. Nice to see 275 is nice and paved! last time I drove through it was like driving through a war zone of construction zones.

Weather was great could a been a little warmer but I'll take 70's and low 80's. We went to Clearwater Beach and on a Saturday around 12-3 the beach wasn't packed at all and it was nice and clean and I loved it a lot knowing it was 20 degrees in Milwaukee. We walked a little bit on Mandalay Ave, nice little town Clearwater is better than I expected perhaps clouded by my previous trip.

Upon arriving at Clearwater Beach we were looking for parking and decided well just pay for parking but just then a older guy in his 60's yelled to us from his pedal bike "there's a free spot over there!" Wow very nice of him to point it out to us especially when you have visitors making a first impression.Then from there we went to watch my beloved Miami Hurricanes at RayJay.

Nice stadium but seriously does everyone just park in the grass lots during all games even NFL games? where are the parking garages? $20 bucks to park was well worth to me. The game was cool to see my team that I have watched for so many years on TV but never in person. The actual game sucked The U won but only 6-3 in the sloppiest game I have ever seen two teams play. As we walked into the stadium some South Florida fans yelled "hey we have a few extra burgers and dogs and some beer if ya want" Well taken aback at first decided to not be bashful and enjoyed some of the free food and beer and this was an older group of people maybe 50-60's. Again more nice people, I'm starting to think that whole nice people from the midwest thing is a bit over stated.

Leaving the stadium was an absolute nightmare, I think we sat there for almost two hours trying to leave the north grass parking lot. It could have just been our spot or section. I was amazed on the amount of South Florida fans and how dedicated they are for a school that didn't have a football team in 1996 and wasn't D1 until 2001 and wasn't into a conference until 2003 then joining the Big East in 2005. Everywhere I went all over Tampa I saw Bulls gear, plate frames on cars, advertisements for Bulls fans, really impressive. However the game was not even close to a sell out even with Miami fans making the trip which there were a lot of.

For bars went to World of Beer which happen to have my Polish beers! and since they don't sell as many as they do back home I had to pay about double price. Then off to Peabody's just off of Bruce B Downs Ave and Amberly Drive. Not a dive bar but nothing fancy it fit the bill since it was very close to where my buddy lives.

Leaving on sunday, trying to find a cab from Bruce B Downs and Amberly to the Tampa airport was a task. I called about 5 different companies and got 5 different quotes anywhere from $40-$180. Called the $40 one back and the price jumped up to $65 yes same person I just talked to and was told "well now its $65" Fine deal I needed a ride asap and my buddy was too hungover to drive me to the airport so he payed for the cab ride which came out to be $75 so much for the flat rate the cabbie quoted us, he was from Dominican Republic and drove very fast like all cabbies do. I made it from apt door to airplane door in an hour including security and check in!

Overall the people that I met most from South Florida area were really nice verging on extremely nice and I saw different parts of Tampa and it looks like your ghetto is not that bad at all or at least it doesn't look bad at all. Run down but nothing that would scare the crap out of me. Maybe having spent time in Milwaukee and Chicago, New Orleans, Memphis and East New York gave me a different view of a bad hood.

I loved my trip so much I am coming down again in March, going to a Yankees spring training game, Clearwater Beach or Caladesi Island or Honeymoon Island or anclote key and my wife is running a 50 mile race in the Green Swamp in Dade City. Then who knows what else maybe the Art Museum.

So suggestions on which beach or state park to go to? or any other ideas for a late march trip to Tampa, again

Oh to the people that bad mouth Tampa and have lived there their whole life. Try visiting other cities like Memphis or Newark or New Orleans or Detroit if you want to be depressed and realize what you have. Since I once hated Milwaukee but then I traveled all over the US and realized wow we actually have it pretty darn good in Milwaukee. If Milwaukee were located in a warm climate it would be a top 10 city for sure!

Loved it, Tampa!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:56 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,085,703 times
Skippers Smokehouse

Old 02-08-2012, 03:36 AM

4,550 posts, read 6,853,365 times
Thanks for the recap, Milwaukee.

Glad to see you enjoyed Tampa! Come back and visit us!!!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:50 AM

420 posts, read 776,835 times
Great reading your recap and I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip.

The Hyde Park neighborhood is hosting a "Historic Houses Walking Tour" in late March. Hyde Park is one of the nicest neighborhoods in Tampa and as a tourist, it may be interesting to walk and get a bit of Tampa history. If not, drinking at the beach is always an option too.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:17 PM

8,107 posts, read 20,359,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
Great reading your recap and I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip.

The Hyde Park neighborhood is hosting a "Historic Houses Walking Tour" in late March. Hyde Park is one of the nicest neighborhoods in Tampa and as a tourist, it may be interesting to walk and get a bit of Tampa history. If not, drinking at the beach is always an option too.

Good stuff, does Tampa have a "doors open event" at all where buildings that normally are closed off are open for tours such as gov buildings and private buildings. Milwaukee had this for the first time last years and it was a huge success.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:35 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,917,044 times
Caladesi would be my recommendation for a visit. There is also Tarpon Springs which is a Greek community with wonderful Greek food. Go to the sponge docks there.

Also in March there is the Renaissance Festival in Tampa
Home of the Bay Area Renaissance Festival!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or