U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 02:28 PM

817 posts, read 2,010,230 times

Advertisements

There is no need to freak out right now.

IF this thing hits Florida....and that's always a big IF when it's this far away...it'll most likely come in right at the tip of Florida, in the middle keys, and make it's way up to the bay area. By the time it gets here, it'll have decreased to a tropical storm.

The only thing that MIGHT worry me is if it pushes off to the west and heads into the gulf...THEN it could turn and came around at us.

Seriously...right now, don't do anything you wouldn't normally do.

DO be generally prepared. Have a plan for storms, and stick with it.

But getting ready for a storm when it's not even at Puerto Rico yet? I've been through this too many times to get all freaked out like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 03:34 PM

4 posts, read 4,133 times
we are considering moving to palm harbor, is this area high on the radar for hurricanes? Sorry I do not know much about them as I live over here on the other side of the world in Nevada, but went to Venice Florida for a year in 93 other then that its all read and learn for me, what area's get hit the hardest or the least hardest?

Old 08-21-2011, 04:11 PM

817 posts, read 2,010,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deannainlasvegas View Post
we are considering moving to palm harbor, is this area high on the radar for hurricanes? Sorry I do not know much about them as I live over here on the other side of the world in Nevada, but went to Venice Florida for a year in 93 other then that its all read and learn for me, what area's get hit the hardest or the least hardest?
The area from the Keys northeastward to about Jupiter; and the area of the panhandle from Pensacola east to almost Panama City are probably the two biggest hurricane "targets."

Jacksonville seems to be the least hit area.

Everywhere else falls somewhere in between.

The area you ask about got whacked by Charlie a few years back.

There is no reason to fear them....just respect them, that's all.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:11 PM

16,735 posts, read 11,160,690 times
Quote:
The area is never on the radar, last real onshore bound storm to hit the Tampa area was 1921. Not saying it won't ever happen, could be this year or another 50 years. I will say we are way overdue for a CAT5.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:28 PM

4 posts, read 4,133 times
thank you for your responses. I dont really fear them so much I worry more for my children. we are in the dry desert not much rain storms here and when we do have them we do enjoy them but they are nothing compared to what you all get, so with that said, that would be my only concerns, is their reaction to them. I am not even sure yet exactly where we will reside in but i know it will be in that area of palm harbor, since I have a friend there and she recommended it along with another friend who recommended hudson county.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:33 PM

16,735 posts, read 11,160,690 times
Quote:
thank you for your responses. I dont really fear them so much I worry more for my children. we are in the dry desert not much rain storms here and when we do have them we do enjoy them but they are nothing compared to what you all get, so with that said, that would be my only concerns, is their reaction to them. I am not even sure yet exactly where we will reside in but i know it will be in that area of palm harbor, since I have a friend there and she recommended it along with another friend who recommended hudson county.
Never heard of hudson county. If you lived in my hood you would never see much rain in the summer.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:37 PM

3,667 posts, read 6,645,571 times
I'm not doing anything at all. I'm in SWFL but unless its a cat 4 or higher i'd just get some water, canned goods and lights. Other than that I don't evacuate and I don't panic.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:46 PM

295 posts, read 1,336,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
I have never read a post of yours on this site, but I can tell this isn't your first rodeo....lol...rep for you
Thanks.
I am a fairly recent transplant to Tampa (April); but have had a few years in the sunshine state - Tallahassee, Miami, and Panama City. I am going to the store tomorrow to stock up on some batteries and semi-durable food (raisins, jerky, etc.). The stores will be impossible to navigate on Thursday, as everyone waits until the absolute last second, and then wipes the stores out.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:50 PM

3,667 posts, read 6,645,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbyfly View Post
Thanks.
I am a fairly recent transplant to Tampa (April); but have had a few years in the sunshine state - Tallahassee, Miami, and Panama City. I am going to the store tomorrow to stock up on some batteries and semi-durable food (raisins, jerky, etc.). The stores will be impossible to navigate on Thursday, as everyone waits until the absolute last second, and then wipes the stores out.
Thats us "natives" we don't really care just to stock up till the last min casue we know it can change course 3 hours before it hits and miss u totally. I've been playin this game for 27 almost 28 years now. I know better than to drop $500 on supplies and have em sit for the next 3 years if we don't get another storm

Old 08-21-2011, 07:08 PM
EB2

1,927 posts, read 5,641,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
The area from the Keys northeastward to about Jupiter; and the area of the panhandle from Pensacola east to almost Panama City are probably the two biggest hurricane "targets."

Jacksonville seems to be the least hit area.

Everywhere else falls somewhere in between.

The area you ask about got whacked by Charlie a few years back.

There is no reason to fear them....just respect them, that's all.
You're thinking of Port Charlotte, not Palm Harbor. We face TS type stuff at most (knock on wood)...like another said, 1921 was the last time the area was truly hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or