Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:31 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,258,595 times

Advertisements

I know that all of FL has a lot of humidity, but I was wondering if there are areas that have less than others.

Someday I would like to move to FL, maybe start a family there. I'm not that interested in night life, but i don't want the downtown area to seem like a suburb. I realize that not many cities can match LA in FL besides Miami.

I was thinking maybe Jacksonville, Tampa, Pensacola, or Panama City areas. Home prices aren't really a big deal for me since I'm used to LA prices. How much do you think it would be to rent maybe a 1 bed apartment for about a year to see how I like each city. I would do about 1500 for a 1 bed since that is the normal in LA. Oh, and if I decide to live there, which one has better publics schools. Are there much needs for the dental or any other sciences businesses in any of those cities?

How would Sarasota or Cape Coral be?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 07:51 PM

151 posts, read 597,788 times
Not a party life in Sarasota or Cape Coral, better bet is St Petersburg or Tampa for that. Jacksonville has a military base as well as Pensacola, you'll find a different demographic there. Have you visited? Read the local on-line newspapers? That will help you out too. If you're into sports you'll enjoy Tampa. (I didn't say they had recent winning seasons) Lightning games are fun as well as the Bucs and Devil Rays the stadiums/domes are awesome!

Old 08-12-2007, 10:27 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,566,076 times
Can't comment on Jacksonville as I've never lived there. I'm in Tampa and the humidity seems higher this summer than normal. The most humid months (to me) are from about mid-June to early September. If we have our usual pattern of afternoon thunderstorms, then the humidity eases off later in the day. Lately, however, we've had the clouds & humidity build up, but no rain to relieve it. Bleah! I do think it's more bearable here than it was in Destin/Ft Walton Beach (midway between Panama City & Pensacola). It was pretty hot & humid when I lived there, but without the breeze we often get here in Tampa/St Pete. The job market up in Pensacola/Panama City isn't as good as it is here either. You can check the rents on apartmentguide.com, forrent.com, etc. for all 4 areas, and on craigslist for private rentals (not sure if Panama City has a cl site).

Old 08-13-2007, 10:19 AM

So what are some upscale neighborhoods you would recommend

I found one for 1600 in downtown Tampa. Is that a good area?

Old 08-13-2007, 11:56 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,917,116 times
I live in Hyde Park. Great area! Downtown is up and coming, with some great highrises going in, but there still isn't much life there after 5pm. Palm Ceia is more of a family neighborhood and many of Tampa's established well-to-do families live there. Beach Park is one of the highest end areas. Channelside is nice, too.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:06 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,352,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
So what are some upscale neighborhoods you would recommend

I found one for 1600 in downtown Tampa. Is that a good area?
Upscale neighborhoods around downtown Tampa would include Hyde Park, Harbour Island, Davis Islands, Golfview, Bayshore Gardens, Bayshore Beautiful.

Over near Westshore district of Tampa, upscale neighborhoods are Beach Park, Culbreath Bayou/Isles, Sunset Park.

Here is more info on Tampa's downtown: TDP Intro

Old 08-13-2007, 05:12 PM

Is there much to do in St. Petersburg?

I'm mostly attracted to the Jacksonville, Tampa, and now Miami areas. Should I just head straight to Miami since I'm so used to LA.

Last edited by jessemh431; 08-13-2007 at 05:34 PM..

Old 08-13-2007, 05:46 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,352,355 times
If your used to LA, and you like that scene, then yes, Miami/South Beach will get you as close to LA as you find than anywhere else in the State of Florida.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
If your used to LA, and you like that scene, then yes, Miami/South Beach will get you as close to LA as you find than anywhere else in the State of Florida.
Well i was reading on Miami threads and everyone says the people are very rude there and someone from LA said some bad stuff. Maybe people from Tampa could give some input on what you guys think of Miamians. Also, many people said in Miami that it's too hot to do anything outside in the summer...at all. Is that true for all of Florida or just Miami?

Old 08-13-2007, 06:54 PM

393 posts, read 1,493,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Also, many people said in Miami that it's too hot to do anything outside in the summer...at all. Is that true for all of Florida or just Miami?
I'm in the Tampa area and I believe this to be true. It really is unpleasant with the humidty; you'd know the feeling if you've ever lived a summer in the south. Someone once mentioned here that you walk twenty steps to your car and you instantly feel like a wet, used teabag. The sun's intensity is overwelming when there is no cloud cover. I suppose when it's overcast I feel much more comfortable wandering around outside longer, but even if the sun's not shining that doesn't mean you still won't feel 'icky'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay