U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:02 AM

38 posts, read 53,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
St Pete /Clearwater is on the Gulf of Mexico,i suppose you could call it an ocean but the real ocean is on the other side of Florida,If you are going to be spending any time in Orlando and you want proximity to the beach i'd look east as its an hour and a bit to drive from Orlando to the beach or it would take at least 2 hours to drive from Orlando to the west coast beaches, if you are driving in rush hour add an hour to your destination..
We veto'd the East coast due to an apparently higher risk in stronger hurricane activity. 2 hours to Orlando is fine. I basically just meant that is why we didn't look further South, like Siesta Key, etc.

The main attraction to Indian Rocks was that the rental costs for units right on the beach are less than the St. Pete's beach/DT St. Pete area overall. Same with Clearwater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 AM

35,318 posts, read 44,333,118 times
Mostly the small lizards eat most of the bugs..

http://www.floridagardener.com/img/critters/CubananoleDewlap.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-30-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Mostly the small lizards eat most of the bugs..
I'd rather have pet lizard than a pet cat! Maybe I'll have to acquire an iguana.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:35 PM

One more thing - nobody mentioned anything about the beach parking permits. Like I said earlier, my aunt in Naples gets a parking pass for the beaches. Do residents of the Tampa/St Pete's/Clearwtaer have any privileges like this?

Old 08-30-2011, 02:17 PM

Forget Tampa as theres no beaches there..
Clearwater and south are mostly parking meters except Ft Desoto where parking is free but there are 3 inexpensive tolls to get out to the beach area..
Those lizards are quite prolific and are about the size of your thumb..

Old 08-30-2011, 02:39 PM

80 posts, read 145,312 times
Good luck on your trip! We are heading down this weekend to see the area before making the big move next spring.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmama32 View Post
Good luck on your trip! We are heading down this weekend to see the area before making the big move next spring.
As so many are asking for info on the Tampa/St Pete area a recap of your experience may prove useful to others ..
Have a nice trip..

Old 08-31-2011, 05:14 PM

627 posts, read 1,220,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegirl View Post
One more thing - nobody mentioned anything about the beach parking permits. Like I said earlier, my aunt in Naples gets a parking pass for the beaches. Do residents of the Tampa/St Pete's/Clearwtaer have any privileges like this?
If you live in a beach community (Indian Rocks, Madeira Beach, Belleair Beach, etc) they typically will issue you a parking permit for being a resident. Then you get a special parking spot in the lot as long as you have that sticker/permit on your car. So besides being able to just walk from your house to the beach...you can also drive and have a special spot
OH and another poster said that the closest real shopping to Indian Rocks is Largo Mall (which is an outdoor mall-not an indoor yuppy mall)...that is basically true, but just thought Id let you know thats where the closest TARGET is too

Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 AM

24 posts, read 82,832 times
A big difference between driving in the the Twin Cities vs Tampa Bay is surface streets. There are very few limited access roads (read: lots more stoplights). In TC terms, a 30 minute commute may be 30 miles (via highway/interstate); in TB it may take 30 minutes to go 7 miles (depending on traffic). Be sure to drive around during the time of day your husband anticipates being on the road.

I'm not as familar with the beaches area of Pinellas, but I can tell you there are Target stores in the TB area - it's always nice to see that familar bullseye sign when we're visiting.

Good luck with your scouting trip and making your final decision.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:59 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,210,254 times
Also on a side note. Not many things stay open past 10pm around Indian Rocks during the weekdays and past 11pm on the weekends. This of course excludes bars. But other eats will be hard to find. FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay