Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 03:27 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times

Advertisements

section 8 housing is ruining brandon

Old 10-31-2007, 06:33 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
section 8 housing is ruining brandon
I have to agree with you here.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:40 PM

14 posts, read 69,331 times
Default Section 8 has rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I am a NYC landlord and would not rent to a section 8 tenant due to the overwhelmingly negative experiences I have had with them, neighbors have had with them, and friends have had with them. Unfortunately I am sure there are SOME good section 8 tenants, but why sift through all the garbage just to find the proverbial neddle in the haystack?

It is not worth the time, effort, or risk to take a section 8 tenant. Unfortunately, people on these programs typically have nothing at risk, i.e. assets, jobs, etc so they can tear up your apt, fill it with 10 other family members and otherwise wreck and abuse you. The only recourse you have is to throw them out after months and months of the eviction process which is costly, arduous, and draining (financially, emotionally, etc). You can't sue them for trashing you apt..they have nothing...so there really are no repurcussions for them...so why again would you take one??

I have yet to see the advantage. Some foolishly believe that you are "guaranteed" income but that is a lie that is peddled by those in the system to sucker in unsuspecting Landlords or Landlords in need of an immediate cash infusion. The fact is that the payments are NOT GUARANTEED. All it takes is the tenant missing one recertification meeting and poof....they are suspended from the program and you no longer get paid. Good luck trying to fix that horrendous mess....time will pass and maybe you will eventually get your money...but most likely not.

Then there are the constant inspections...they are always looking for a reason to suspend payments. Again...good luck getting them resinstated and petitioning for back payments. Of course...don't expect the tenants to pay their measly portion either...many will just not pay it. Fun!

Anyone that believes this is not an accurate description of the section 8 experience either has not participated or is the exception to the rule.
There is only one inspection per year, and that is to make sure the apartment is fit to live in. Imagine there exists slumlords? Once a tenent on section 8 moves out of the apartment, there is a move out inspection to make sure the tenent did not destroy the unit. If they did, the inspector makes a report, and that person is subject to be terminated from the section 8 program. Also, a landlord who is considering a section 8 tenent can check the tenent's past record with the housing authority. By the way, a family of 4, making less than $30.000 a year, can qualify for section 8. It is not only for the VERY poor, but for a families thatdo not earn enough money to rent or buy. Rents are way high now, and I know few people who can afford them alone. They have to have room mates. Most of the women I know on section 8 have been divorced, have no help raising their children, have to pay alot for childcare, and are trying to either further their education or career to get ahead. As I said before, the housing authority has an incentive program for a person on section 8 to someday become self sufficient. The person on this self suffiency program actually have to sign a contract with the housing authority, and they are given a certain amount of time to complete college or training. Then they are expected to buy their own home and are taken off section 8. HUD has tightened up to watch for fraud. If you know for sure someone is abusing the system, you are allowed to report them, and believe me, they will be investigated. With the waiting list, HUD wants to make sure anyone on section 8 is really qualified because there will be more movement for those on the waiting list. So for those of you who think you see section 8 families with brand new BMW's or for those landlords whose apartments become totalled by their section 8 families, please report them. Then perhaps when your single daughter or sister who have children and can't afford a place of their own, they won't have to wait for two years to get section 8 help.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:00 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
Agreed there is only one REQUIRED inspection per year, but Section 8 tenants, especially those that are terrible tenants, call their Section 8 representative every time there is a toilet clog or the heat is not up to 85 degrees. So here comes the inspector who will ALWAYS find SOME violation...and poof..payments are suspended.

I also agree that if you tenant moves out and tears up the apt you can report them. That's great...but you are still stuck with a torn up apt...is the city going to pay you to renovate the place? Nope...but they will certainly write up that report!

Agreed that Section 8 is not only for the very poor, it is also for the regular poor. What do both of these groups have in common? They have nothing to lose and risk nothing should they decide to make your life hell. They have no assets, so good luck recouping any money after they move...or back rent. When you have no skin in the game...you are typically not responsible, or even reasonable..why should you be...you have nothing to lose!

I don't see Section 8 tenants driving BMWs..and that is not an accurate assessment of Section 8 tenants in NYC. What I do see is a mother with 3 kids...and a "Boyfriend" that lives there but his income is not reported. So she gets rent paid, plus all other benefits and services, and her "boyfriend" has a fulltime job with possibly a high income..all to spend on frivolous items.

Unfortunately poverty in this city is synonymous with ghetto behavior and thuggery 9 times out of 10...and Section 8 is all people in poverty, whether it is extreme poverty, or just poor. Either way...why would you want to deal with this segment? Rents are NOT guaranteed, but headaches often are....I have yet to see the advantage???

Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 PM

14 posts, read 69,331 times
Default Dear Senior member

I live in Maine, but want to move to florida. I am 55. I have three daughters, one who graduated from U. of Tampa 9 years ago and has bought her own home in North Tampa. Another daughter graduated from USF, is living here with me in Maine, but wants to move back to Florida. My third daughter is attending graduate school at U. of Wisconsin in Madison. I also have a son in the Army. However, I am on section 8 because my husband died of a heart attack last year, then I became disabled. I am afraid to get into a section 8 qualified apartment that might have those "stereotypical" people you all are talking about as my neighbors. Here in Portland, it seems as though those few who dampen the section 8 program live in housing projects. I do not. When I move to Florida, perhaps around St. Petersburg or somewhere I'd be likely to avoid the "bad" neighborhoods. Please inform me if you know of any apartment complexes for those over 55, who accept section 8 for disabled folks.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 8,716 times
Default Section 8

I have heard allot of things about section 8. Since I just got my first home, I decided to rented since it is in another city, I did not felt secure that I would be able to handle it. I hired this people from CTHomes Realty in Orlando, they got this tenant for 5 years has been renting my property, never had a problem, rent always in time, is a perfect person to rent to...

Old 02-14-2008, 10:37 AM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times
Default don't worry ther's a huge waiting list

so if you move down, you will have to pay your way or live with the kids. I'm not saying that in an ugly way, just saying what is here. You can't simply transfer a Sect. 8 certificate and get a place. What's your budget? The subsidized Senior places, not Sect. 8, won't let you in until you're 62 even with a disability. I know, I'm 61 and can't get in. Those run about 460/mo. anyway for a 1 br and need an income of somewhere around 10k/yr.
I know you must be terribly traumatized but please try to get some rehabilitation and get back into the work force. 55 isn't old and right now you are on the road to desperate poverty. I would be on the streets if I didn't have a husband because now that I'm 61, no one wants to hire me with a disability to accommodate on top of my age. Even Vocational Rehab. doesn't want to invest in me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslilrose View Post
I live in Maine, but want to move to florida. I am 55. I have three daughters, one who graduated from U. of Tampa 9 years ago and has bought her own home in North Tampa. Another daughter graduated from USF, is living here with me in Maine, but wants to move back to Florida. My third daughter is attending graduate school at U. of Wisconsin in Madison. I also have a son in the Army. However, I am on section 8 because my husband died of a heart attack last year, then I became disabled. I am afraid to get into a section 8 qualified apartment that might have those "stereotypical" people you all are talking about as my neighbors. Here in Portland, it seems as though those few who dampen the section 8 program live in housing projects. I do not. When I move to Florida, perhaps around St. Petersburg or somewhere I'd be likely to avoid the "bad" neighborhoods. Please inform me if you know of any apartment complexes for those over 55, who accept section 8 for disabled folks.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:00 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Check out Rocky Creek Village.
Rock Creek Retirement Village: HHA

I can't tell you the exact age limit but I know they accept ppl with disabilites who are not 60. They keep the area nice and have a cafeteria.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:15 AM

20 posts, read 69,842 times
Unless you need it, avoid it.

It usually means the place will be poorly maintained. Likewise your neighbors will be druggies, pimps, etc . Not all poor people are lowlifes, but most lowlifes are poor, and know how to milk the system!

Old 02-20-2008, 03:32 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,912 times
As an assistant manager for an apartment community (non-tax credit) and there are a lot of tax credit properties around the area (sec. 8/low income) This is for families who are on sec. 8 or make under and over a certain amount (but don't qualify for other apt. comm.). That's pretty much the sum of it. It seems as though there are more and more being built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay