Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 04:56 PM

56 posts, read 162,187 times

Advertisements

That's exactly how it works.
Section 8 and crime go hand in hand.
Can't argue the facts
Section 8 Crime

A simple google search of "Section 8" crime will also give you thousands of results and studies.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:50 PM

561 posts, read 1,922,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha man View Post
typical white person: oh great i live in a neighborhood where no burglers can get in and i have a gate on it and i have a pool too. also i have 20 cars and im rich. black person moves in due to section 8. typical white person: ohh i better move out now there goes the neighborhood. look at all of the crime now.
In some cases crime may not go up......BUT, whether people want to admit it or not, I believe there is a stigma attached to blacks and hispanics (blacks more so I believe), in general when it comes to housing and property values declining.

How many solid middle to upper class white non hispanic families can honestly say that they would buy a home in which they knew there was a black family living next door? Or how about a hispanic family??

The truth is segregation is still around. Look at every inner city and then the suburbs that surround them. Take a look at the demographics for Hartford, Bridgeport, and New Haven Connecticut. Then take a look at Avon, Woodbridge, and Fairfield Connecticut.

Avon borders Hartford, Fairfield borders Bridgeport, and Woodbridge borders New Haven..

//www.city-data.com/city/Hartford-Connecticut.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Avon-Connecticut.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Bridge...nnecticut.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Fairfi...nnecticut.html

//www.city-data.com/city/New-Ha...nnecticut.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Woodbr...nnecticut.html

Economic segregation.

I'm sure there are similar examples in most states including Florida.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:39 PM

100 posts, read 190,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Hd View Post
That's exactly how it works.
Section 8 and crime go hand in hand.
Can't argue the facts
Section 8 Crime

A simple google search of "Section 8" crime will also give you thousands of results and studies.
As much as would like to pull something negative out of this comment the numbers do not lie,it is true.
Its not so much the renter but the free loaders that come along with them for a free place to sleep.
I once lived in a complex where they had section 8 and i am a understanding and cultural person but when my least was up i was so happy to get out of there i started doing the running man (that's a dance)in the leasing office.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:57 PM

68 posts, read 271,751 times
Unfortunately I understand Sec. 8 is closed in Pinellas county,for now. If your Mom is in need and not in Pinellas county you might want to check out whether or not she could get on a waiting list for housing. I don't know about other counties as to whether they are close now or not. I don't truly believe race has anything to do with qualifying for Sec. 8. You just have to fit the sringent guide lines. If your Mom lives on SSI and or SS she probably does qualify. You need to see if she can get food stamps also ,she should qualify for that too. Call your counties medicad or dcf office or you can even apply for her online by going to My Florida and looking for the links. It's an easy application and at least the food stamps would help her. She also will qualify I beleieve for the home heating/cooling money that is offered to people of little means. Good Luck and look into any and all programs that could give her some relieve. This is the kind of situation that welfare programs are designed to help.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:05 AM

45 posts, read 160,982 times
MANY, MANY older people who are retired or retired and disabled on Social Security and small pensions qualify for and receive Sec. 8 Housing Choice Voucher help with their rents and mortgage payments. If you need such help with inflated housing prices go to your local housing authority office for more information and get an application. Get the help you need and are entitled to. Don't listen to the ageist, sexist and racist comments posted here. Go to your local housing authority and get the help you need.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:52 PM

14 posts, read 69,342 times
Default section 8

I forgot to mention that section 8 tenants are now required to pay the landlord the whole amount of the security deposit like any other tenant. If they destroy your property, you can keep the deposit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Agreed there is only one REQUIRED inspection per year, but Section 8 tenants, especially those that are terrible tenants, call their Section 8 representative every time there is a toilet clog or the heat is not up to 85 degrees. So here comes the inspector who will ALWAYS find SOME violation...and poof..payments are suspended.

I also agree that if you tenant moves out and tears up the apt you can report them. That's great...but you are still stuck with a torn up apt...is the city going to pay you to renovate the place? Nope...but they will certainly write up that report!

Agreed that Section 8 is not only for the very poor, it is also for the regular poor. What do both of these groups have in common? They have nothing to lose and risk nothing should they decide to make your life hell. They have no assets, so good luck recouping any money after they move...or back rent. When you have no skin in the game...you are typically not responsible, or even reasonable..why should you be...you have nothing to lose!

I don't see Section 8 tenants driving BMWs..and that is not an accurate assessment of Section 8 tenants in NYC. What I do see is a mother with 3 kids...and a "Boyfriend" that lives there but his income is not reported. So she gets rent paid, plus all other benefits and services, and her "boyfriend" has a fulltime job with possibly a high income..all to spend on frivolous items.

Unfortunately poverty in this city is synonymous with ghetto behavior and thuggery 9 times out of 10...and Section 8 is all people in poverty, whether it is extreme poverty, or just poor. Either way...why would you want to deal with this segment? Rents are NOT guaranteed, but headaches often are....I have yet to see the advantage???

Old 02-07-2009, 07:26 PM

14 posts, read 69,342 times
Default section 8

I am truly sorry about your Mother, and I don't understand why she can't get assistance where you live. I live in Maine and have SSI income and get both foodstamps and medicaid. I had section 8, but I gave it up when my son turned 19. I didn't have to because I have SSI, but I am moving to Florida in March 2009 to an over 55 community instead.
Section 8 has a very long waiting list. I believe it is by a person's income, not the skin color or where he or she lives, that determine whether they can qualify for section 8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Hd View Post
I wish that was the case.

My mother had three strokes two years ago. Trying to pay the bills with her SSI which is next to nothing isn't happening. She has been denied for everything. Food Stamps, Medicaid (Before she was able to get Medicare), and disability.

It's all about skin color and demographics to get Section 8.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:39 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,929 times
As a landlord, I used to rent two of my rental homes to section 8 tenants. Both tenants were with me for over ten years. Both were white, and I share this because so many false stereotypes are being projected through this thread. The first (Carol) lost her husband after a long illness, and she did her absolute best to raise 3 children (husband's medical bills really tapped her out financially). She worked as a cleaning lady for many years, raised 3 respectful & successful boys, took care of her sickly mother, and scraped by with dignity and pride in what she did have.

My second tenant, Joan, had 4 children. Her abusive husband and she were divorced after one of his drunken tirades landed him in jail. She, too, worked as a cleaning lady, but had a much more difficult time dealing with raising her kids through their adolescent years (no father and no extended family support).

Last edited by Keeper; 02-09-2009 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: quoted post removed as it was deleted

Old 02-09-2009, 07:22 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay