Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 PM

28 posts, read 103,934 times

Advertisements

What are the most diverse neighborhoods in the Tampa Bay area? I am looking for an area with a mix of ethnicities and cultures, where I can walk to restaurants, stores, etc. and not be in a car all the time. A neighborhood near the beach would be a plus.

I am a middle-aged woman with grown children so schools are not an issue. I visited the area earlier this year and really liked it.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 06:36 PM

109 posts, read 279,950 times
I posted similar questions regarding diverse neighborhoods when we were planning our move. I received some very interesting responses/opinions! A few people were trying to "convince" me not to worry about diversity (we also have an 8 year old son and raising him in a diverse environment is critical to us). I found it comical (if not maddening) how some people did not understand my desire to live in a diverse environment.

Anyway, I'm relatively new to FL so I don't know the areas well enough to give a valid opinion. I'll be following this post to see what others suggest.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:49 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
First and foremost what is your price range? What about work? Living near the beach meaning gulf or bay? You aren't going to find a lot of diverse areas around the gulf beaches or even the bay due mainly to the high cost of housing. Most housing around the gulf are condo's or very expensive houses. S Tampa on the bay is probably more diverse due to the area but not by much.

Very few walkable areas probably due to the heat. There are a few place but not many because it is just too hot.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:32 AM

28 posts, read 103,934 times
I am talking about when I retire in a few years. I do NOT want to live in a 55 plus type of community. I am an active person and I like being around younger people. i would be living on a pension so my income would be modest, around $45,000 per year.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:57 PM

22 posts, read 37,237 times
Town and Country area is probably the most diverse..but a higher hispanic population than other areas in Tampa. I like this area, I feel safe and have never had an issue and I have lived in many areas of Tampa in the past 10 years.
Now, with Tampa..you have your middle class areas like mentioned above and a few miles away it may be more of a rough area. Personal preference..I personally can't live where it is segregated..one race only..etc. I am caucasian and my daughter is bi-racial.
My neighbors are from all ethnicities in this area.
I have noticed, more and more- most parts of Tampa are becoming more blended.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:46 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casher O'Neill View Post
What are the most diverse neighborhoods in the Tampa Bay area? I am looking for an area with a mix of ethnicities and cultures, where I can walk to restaurants, stores, etc. and not be in a car all the time. A neighborhood near the beach would be a plus. I am a middle-aged woman with grown children so schools are not an issue. I visited the area earlier this year and really liked it.
Honestly, a bigger limiting factor than diversity is finding a neighborhood that has the walkability you want. As far as I can tell (I've lived here for almost a year now), your options are (north to south): downtown Dunedin, downtown Safety Harbor, SoHo/Hyde Park in South Tampa, downtown St. Pete, downtown Gulfport, and downtown Sarasota. And the walkable areas are pretty small; in one weekend, you could check out all of them to see if any have the ethnic diversity you're looking for.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:38 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
Honestly, a bigger limiting factor than diversity is finding a neighborhood that has the walkability you want. As far as I can tell (I've lived here for almost a year now), your options are (north to south): downtown Dunedin, downtown Safety Harbor, SoHo/Hyde Park in South Tampa, downtown St. Pete, downtown Gulfport, and downtown Sarasota. And the walkable areas are pretty small; in one weekend, you could check out all of them to see if any have the ethnic diversity you're looking for.
Good list, I agree. I will also add that Sarasota's downtown is really the only one really close to a beach - from downtown one only has to cross the John Ringling Bridge to get to St. Armand's Circle (for more shops, restaurants) and Lido Beach. As BBI suggested, it's best to visit all these areas and see what has the most of what you are looking for. They are all nice places and have different things to offer.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:52 PM

61 posts, read 188,351 times
I find most of Tampa Bay to be pretty diverse! However I especially like St. Pete - lots to do downtown, beaches, arts, great culture here!

Old 09-01-2011, 01:22 PM

16 posts, read 37,400 times
I just moved to Tampa (Hyde Park/SoHo area) a little over a week ago and I have yet to see anything but white people in this neighborhood. And I walk/bike almost everywhere, so I'm actually seeing who's on the street. The most diversity I've seen is among those walking and running on Bayshore Blvd.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 8,556 times
"I just moved to Tampa (Hyde Park/SoHo area) a little over a week ago and I have yet to see anything but white people in this neighborhood. And I walk/bike almost everywhere, so I'm actually seeing who's on the street. The most diversity I've seen is among those walking and running on Bayshore Blvd."

Inkyfantastic...your post is a bit disconcerting. Thinking that diversity is based only on blatant differences of skin color can be misleading and sometimes a bit offensive. I'm often mistaken for "white" (which most people confuse with Caucasian) but I am actually simply a light-skinned Hispanic. Going out and getting to know people in one's community instead of lumping them into one category based on their skin color is probably best - one would be surprised to find much more diversity than expected.
Also, there are organizations in central Tampa that are based on ethnicity and/or profession (Hispanic, Caribbean, Asian, etc.) so getting in touch with one's heritage or ethnic group is just an internet search away. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay