Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 09:04 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

With the Senate easily passing an increase in flood insurance, it looks like the rates will double in 5 years.

How will that:

a) affect already depressed housing prices in flood areas, or will buyers just ignore it and look for the view?

b) will the opt into the flood insurance program drop, and therefore a self-fulfilling prophecy of needing increased rates because there are a lower number of owners being part of the program?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 09:16 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,489 times
Another problem we property owners have to deal with because of people elected representatives who kowtow to interest groups who fund their party coffers.
U r right we will suffer in an already stagnant market. Many will not be able tom opt out as banks will insist on it. Watch for banks to step into I surname market!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times
I'm not sure what lavender is trying to say, especially since realtors are one of the largest special interest groups in the country.

Let's put the politics aside for a moment and instead look at the numbers.

Since the rates for flood insurance are GROSSLY below the actuarial cost, anyone who drops their Federal flood insurance is a fool (and their mortgage company is not going to be happy, either).

My waterfront premium for the next year (which cost me about 0.5% of the total coverage) is an incredible bargain. Even if prices doubled, it would be far cheaper than the alternatives.

If I owned my home outright, I would cancel my wind policy before my flood policy.

The problem is when people in a flood zone who refuse to insure their property receive Federal disaster aid dollars. That sets up the moral hazard: why buy insurance if the government is going to bail you out anyway?

Last edited by chi_tino; 09-09-2011 at 09:37 AM..

Old 09-09-2011, 11:37 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
I've been purchasing FEMA $250 premium insurance for the last two years, but don't think I need it (not in flood zone, not near river, about 10 miles inland. I think they're giving me an incentive to cancel -

Old 09-09-2011, 11:52 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
With the Senate easily passing an increase in flood insurance, it looks like the rates will double in 5 years.
You should re-read the story you posted. The senate passed an re-authorization of and extension to the NFIP program. The senate did not pass an increase in flood insurance rates (and, generally, I don't think that's the senate's job; the NFIP is administered by FEMA).

Along with the extension, the new legislation would allow the feds to raise rates by 15% per year. So it's theoretically possible under the new legislation that rates double in 5 years. But, today, the feds can increase rates by 10% per year. And it's not as if rates (for most of us) are increasing 10% per year now, so there's not much reason to think they'll increase by 15% per year later.

It's certainly possible that someone will try to make the NFIP actuarially sound. But I haven't heard any politician actually state that goal.

All in, this isn't the big deal you're making it out to be.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:17 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,489 times
Ha ha auto correct goes mad on iPad. Last sentence makes no sense. But the largest special interest group are the policy holders that's you and me. Still comes down to the fact that I have paid out fifteen to twenty thousand the last ten years and have received no money back. Which i am glad about in reality Car ins oh about fifty thousand that's a lot of dollars in peace of mind.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:08 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
If I still paid a mortgage , that would bother me.

But since i'm strategically defaulting, this sort of news does not bother me at all.

good times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay