U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 05:23 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,390,909 times

Advertisements

Hello! In my imagination I'd like to have an orange tree and a lemon tree in our yard, but I know absolutely nothing about buying or growing citrus trees. Do you have a citrus tree or nursery that you would recommend? Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 AM

817 posts, read 2,002,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Hello! In my imagination I'd like to have an orange tree and a lemon tree in our yard, but I know absolutely nothing about buying or growing citrus trees. Do you have a citrus tree or nursery that you would recommend? Thank you so much!
They're actually pretty easy...just go find your nearest place that sells them. Even Home Depot trees are ok. Then find a sunny place in your yard to plant them.

My only maybe unique advice would be....don't plant them near your house. Eventually they'll get big. If you plant near your house, the branches and all of that will be near your roof. Fruit trees are famous for drawing rats, so proximity to your roof allows the rats access to that, which gives them another way in to your house.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:54 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,190,859 times
You may also want to post this in the garden forum. They will help advise you on the care. The extension office has a ton of information that you will find helpful in growing citrus trees.

I agree with Kevin from Tampa. Lowes is a decent place to buy citrus trees. I bought my Hamlin orange tree from a garden center in Land O Lakes Welcome to Duncheon's Nursery & Landscaping, LLC. It has done really well. It is probably too far for you to travel and you would probably do just as well with a garden center closer to you.

I have feed my orange tree every 3 months with a citrus fertilizer. I hear many people don't do a thing to theirs and get nice oranges anyway.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:02 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,901,614 times
I had a Myers lemon tree and it had a ton of lemons on it will very little care from me. They are really big lemons and not as acidic as small lemons.

I don't know how Home Depot or Lowe's trees are but you at least get a guarantee if you kill it. Not that you are like me but it does happen..

Old 09-13-2011, 08:41 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,390,909 times
Thank you so much for your replies. We bought a navel orange tree and a Meyers lemon tree, which looks more like a bush, and planted them last night. I'm hoping in three years we'll have homegrown citrus. I just love Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay