U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:53 PM

42 posts, read 85,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Kinda depends where you are working and what kind of rush hour commute you find tolerable. if i were thinking of moving back to Florida it would be all about the water and beach activities, i'd be looking at one of the beach communities from Clearwater and south.
I def am interested in the beach. I want to live in a big city and be close to the beach. I dont want to drive forever to get to a beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:55 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 847,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile4unc View Post
Hi, i want to move to Tampa in November. I will be working from home, so worrying about communting isnt an issue. I want to rent a townhome/house between 800-1000 month. Would you recommend moving to Tampa or the burbs? Im 31, so i want to live somewhere that has lots of things to do. I appreciate all feedback from ppl who live in the area. Also, how far away are the beaches from Tampa? ... Also, if I do decide to live in Tampa, what are some of the good areas to live in? I've looked at Brandon, Riverview, and Seffner but I feel like these places may be too far out of the way, and I want to live where the "action" is at.
You need to make a choice: in your price range, you can live in a small apartment where the action is, or you can live in a townhouse/house in the burbs. I strongly recommend you live where you play. To that end, in Tampa, there are three nightlife districts: SoHo, Channelside and Ybor. The other option in the bay area is downtown St. Pete. We picked St. Pete, and SoHo was a close second. But there are lots of posts here about all four of those areas, so read up and then visit for a weekend, which is about all you need to check out all four. Anything in Tampa is going to be at least 40 mins to the beach; downtown St. Pete is about 20 mins to the beach (though I think St. Pete uses the bay much more effectively than Tampa does).

Skip the beach communities. Clearwater Beach or St. Pete Beach (the two most crowded and touristy beaches in Pinellas) will be OK during beach season. The other half of the year, it'll be too cold for the beach and just you and the snowbirds out at bars.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:51 PM

35,318 posts, read 44,333,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post

Skip the beach communities. Clearwater Beach or St. Pete Beach (the two most crowded and touristy beaches in Pinellas) will be OK during beach season. The other half of the year, it'll be too cold for the beach and just you and the snowbirds out at bars.
If beach is a high priority for the op then note where the beaches are on this map and be aware its a 20+ miles drive to those beaches from Tampa..

Old 09-13-2011, 03:31 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 847,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If beach is a high priority for the op then note where the beaches are on this map and be aware its a 20+ miles drive to those beaches from Tampa..
Oh, I know. That's part of the reason we picked St. Pete over South Tampa. But the OP said s/he wants to live "where the action is," and the action is not at the beach. It's OK during beach season, but not the other half of the year. Unfortunately, there are no young professional beach communities in the bay area.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:00 PM

Not sure where the action is in St Pete but if living close to the beach is a high priority for our op then driving to that action what ever it may be wont be much of a problem from the beach..

Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 PM

42 posts, read 85,715 times
thanks, this is all really good advice. I think I would prefer probably to live in tampa, and just drive to wherever the beach is at.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile4unc View Post
thanks, this is all really good advice. I think I would prefer probably to live in tampa, and just drive to wherever the beach is at.
Check the map in post 13 to see where the beaches are,
There are no beaches of any consequence in Tampa....

Last edited by jambo101; 09-14-2011 at 05:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or