Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:30 PM

20 posts, read 57,051 times

Advertisements

I agree with the above post, you may always wonder if you made the right decision if you don't make the move. I'm a mom of three and I've lived here for 23 years of my 35 yrs of life. I will tell you the schools are not ranked top in any catagory. I don't know where your coming from but the FL school system in my opinion is among the worst. Most parents in my area have their children in either a charter, magnet or private. My children are in private. The FCAT standard testing has always been sad. Yes we have HOT weather and beaches but alot of coast line state do!! Keep in mind the traffic we get from our massive coast line, we get everything and anything come through here if you know what I mean...Our housing market took a very hard hit along with Arizona. You will get less for your money. I hope this helps, I hope you consider everything and not just weather cause along with our weather comes severe allergies so get your kids ready for many Drs. visits. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 01:42 PM

80 posts, read 161,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsgjt2003 View Post
I agree with the above post, you may always wonder if you made the right decision if you don't make the move. I'm a mom of three and I've lived here for 23 years of my 35 yrs of life. I will tell you the schools are not ranked top in any catagory. I don't know where your coming from but the FL school system in my opinion is among the worst. Most parents in my area have their children in either a charter, magnet or private. My children are in private. The FCAT standard testing has always been sad. Yes we have HOT weather and beaches but alot of coast line state do!! Keep in mind the traffic we get from our massive coast line, we get everything and anything come through here if you know what I mean...Our housing market took a very hard hit along with Arizona. You will get less for your money. I hope this helps, I hope you consider everything and not just weather cause along with our weather comes severe allergies so get your kids ready for many Drs. visits. Good luck!!
Michigan. My kids are in a Class A school so I know the education part will be tough. I am lucky to not have seasonal allergies and my husband is allergic to cottonwood(?) fuzzy things that float from the tree once a year. Otherwise we should be good. Hot weather isn't a problem but I am concerned about mold in such a humid climate with a house. My husband hates cold and we are starting to get in our cold season. During Nov-March it can be 40 degrees or less so I'd take hot over cold for 1/2 the year. Winter is not fun when you think of something as simple as pushing a grocery cart when it's snowing and blowing out. You have to push the cart through slush while your shoes are getting soaked, grocery bags are now soaked and once you get them in the car, you have to scrap your windows and let the defroster thaw the window before you can go anywhere. Then you get in the car and you hair is wet, coat wet from the heavy snow and your glasses fogged up on your face. This is when I dislike winter other than sitting inside a warm house 'watching' the snow.

We came down Labor day and it was over 90 (felt like 102 according to my phone) but it didn't seem too bad. We get like that here in the Summer just shorter periods of time and they call it heat waves.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:02 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmama32 View Post
Winter is not fun when you think of something as simple as pushing a grocery cart when it's snowing and blowing out. You have to push the cart through slush while your shoes are getting soaked, grocery bags are now soaked and once you get them in the car, you have to scrap your windows and let the defroster thaw the window before you can go anywhere. Then you get in the car and you hair is wet, coat wet from the heavy snow and your glasses fogged up on your face. This is when I dislike winter other than sitting inside a warm house 'watching' the snow.
'Summer' in Florida is at least 6 months long, you'll do your outdoor activities before 8 a.m. or at dusk, you'll sweat from places you didn't know could sweat, even walking with your feet in the ocean won't be cooling. Your deodorant will fail by noon time as well as everyone else's and a stale odor will whaft through Publix or Bealls or wherever you find yourself. It will rain most every afternoon, blinding rain but only for short spurts. Some people say it cools things off but it only makes things stickier. Your hair will frizz and you'll be going for twice-a-year dermo appointments. You'll look longingly out your patio windows at the panoramic tropical view and you'll begin to think of it as a mural, something to look at, because you won't be venturing out into the heat.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:09 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
'Summer' in Florida is at least 6 months long, you'll do your outdoor activities before 8 a.m. or at dusk, you'll sweat from places you didn't know could sweat, even walking with your feet in the ocean won't be cooling. Your deodorant will fail by noon time as well as everyone else's and a stale odor will whaft through Publix or Bealls or wherever you find yourself. It will rain most every afternoon, blinding rain but only for short spurts. Some people say it cools things off but it only makes things stickier. Your hair will frizz and you'll be going for twice-a-year dermo appointments. You'll look longingly out your patio windows at the panoramic tropical view and you'll begin to think of it as a mural, something to look at, because you won't be venturing out into the heat.
Heh - I would take that a million times over, over cold, wet, snowy, icy, blizzard weather. It's so easy to stay cool here, not so easy to get warm. For a good 6 months here the weather is like paradise - 70s in the day, 50's at night. The worst summer months to me are July-Aug, with the other months transitional. But glad you like your cold weather. We should all live where we are happy and comfortable. I discovered long ago that I am a person that needs bright sunny days with clear blue skies, warm weather and some humidity. That's why this native is never moving from this state.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:21 PM

8 posts, read 7,039 times
My husband and I are going through this right now! He has a job and I will be able to find one...i hope as i'm a nurse. But i've lived in GA for 25 yrs and there are alot of what if's. But for us we can rely on each other, we do research, we have some family scattered about and most important for us is that God is in control so we know He will make a way for us. My stepson wants to come live with us, he is 14 so we are checking schools and such as well. It's been our retirement plan to move to FL but we just got married 9 months ago so our moving has moved up!! We have a number of friends already making plans to visit....i'm nervous and excited all at the same time.
Good luck!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:32 PM

80 posts, read 161,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKissel View Post
My husband and I are going through this right now! He has a job and I will be able to find one...i hope as i'm a nurse. But i've lived in GA for 25 yrs and there are alot of what if's. But for us we can rely on each other, we do research, we have some family scattered about and most important for us is that God is in control so we know He will make a way for us. My stepson wants to come live with us, he is 14 so we are checking schools and such as well. It's been our retirement plan to move to FL but we just got married 9 months ago so our moving has moved up!! We have a number of friends already making plans to visit....i'm nervous and excited all at the same time.
Good luck!
Good luck to you too! It's so true when you say it's exciting and scary at the same time.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Heh - I would take that a million times over, over cold, wet, snowy, icy, blizzard weather. It's so easy to stay cool here, not so easy to get warm. For a good 6 months here the weather is like paradise - 70s in the day, 50's at night. The worst summer months to me are July-Aug, with the other months transitional. But glad you like your cold weather. We should all live where we are happy and comfortable. I discovered long ago that I am a person that needs bright sunny days with clear blue skies, warm weather and some humidity. That's why this native is never moving from this state.
Yes you stay cool here by staying indoors.

How is it in the 70s here during the day for a good six months and 50s at night, last Thanksgiving it was 86 degrees, and it had been consistently that warm and warmer through Oct and Nov.

It was over 80 degrees on Christmas.

Let's tell the truth, you get about 3 months of 70 degree weather, not 6 months.

Jan, Feb, and into March provide the temps you're talking about, that is not 6 months.

It is currently feels like 97 degrees right now in the Tampa area. There is no difference from July and August, there is no change.

Why do people lie about the weather?

Old 09-21-2011, 04:29 PM

357 posts, read 799,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It was over 80 degrees on Christmas.

Let's tell the truth, you get about 3 months of 70 degree weather, not 6 months.

Jan, Feb, and into March provide the temps you're talking about, that is not 6 months.

It is currently feels like 97 degrees right now in the Tampa area. There is no difference from July and August, there is no change.

Why do people lie about the weather?
Amen.

Our summer heat lasts more like 8-9 months, depending on the weather patterns every few years. Sometimes we'll get a Spring which consists of a month of so of "cooler" mornings with less humidity whereby you can open your windows until 11AM. In other words, it's similar to what other parts of the country would call a Summer morning. This year our "Spring" only lasted about a week before brutal heat starting bearing down in the morning.

Experiencing a few days of our normal summer heat on vacation is nothing like enduring it for months on end. It's the equivalent to going outside in shorts during a blizzard for 2 minutes and saying, "huh, not as cold as I thought it would be." then going back inside by the fireplace.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:23 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
You'll miss those crisp, blue sky, winter days when you can feel the hint of spring in the air, and once spring arrives you'll miss the faint tinge of yellow buds on the trees that slowly turn to green then full flourish. You'll miss the parade of color, first the crocus poking through the last of the snow, then the show of yellows when daffodils and forsythia set the world afire. Then it's the dance of the purples, hyacinth, rhodies, lilacs, then the plush green hostas. You'll miss the the end of summer and the way it tugs at your heart when you remember those back-to-school days of your own youth, and you'll miss fall, best season of all! You'll see commercials on TV for smart winter clothes but you'll still be putting on your crusty flip-flops, and in December when the north is aglow with lights you'll be looking at sad twinkly palm trees and the teddy bears wearing sweaters that sit on the jewelry store counters in the mall will look ridiculous and make you itch. Your friends won't visit because they work and their kids go to school and flights double during popular vacations so you'll find yourself spending the exorbitant rates to fly yourself home for the holidays.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:12 AM

623 posts, read 965,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am with you on that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay