U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2011, 07:48 AM
 
80 posts, read 144,850 times
Reputation: 42

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
You'll miss those crisp, blue sky, winter days when you can feel the hint of spring in the air, and once spring arrives you'll miss the faint tinge of yellow buds on the trees that slowly turn to green then full flourish. You'll miss the parade of color, first the crocus poking through the last of the snow, then the show of yellows when daffodils and forsythia set the world afire. Then it's the dance of the purples, hyacinth, rhodies, lilacs, then the plush green hostas. You'll miss the the end of summer and the way it tugs at your heart when you remember those back-to-school days of your own youth, and you'll miss fall, best season of all! You'll see commercials on TV for smart winter clothes but you'll still be putting on your crusty flip-flops, and in December when the north is aglow with lights you'll be looking at sad twinkly palm trees and the teddy bears wearing sweaters that sit on the jewelry store counters in the mall will look ridiculous and make you itch. Your friends won't visit because they work and their kids go to school and flights double during popular vacations so you'll find yourself spending the exorbitant rates to fly yourself home for the holidays.
I love your post as it is so detailed and describes our season here. I do love lilacs (my favorite) but other than that, I do not like spring. I hate the mud, and it's usually cold and rainy until May. So I could do w/o spring all together.

I do love fall when the colors are in bloom. The reality is it only lasts for a few weeks then usually a good rain washes all the leaves from the trees and we are left with it looking dead here. The trees have a hint of yellow right now but not much as we are still really green. As soon as the colors start popping out, I am going to keep track of how long this beautiful fall wonderland really lasts. Fall and Summer are my most favorite seasons. If we move to FL, my husband and I can always come back during October to see the colors as it is our anniversary and we always take a trip usually up north. Maybe we would try Boston or somewhere in NE instead.

Yes I think I would miss the changes but if I want a dose of it, I can always fly home to visit. ( I am very blessed to have 6 weeks vacation a year and we can build days so for instance my coworker has over 100 vacation days in her bank )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2011, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Beach
3,380 posts, read 8,185,623 times
Reputation: 2930
Oh looky. Here we go. Typical Florida forum turning into winter lovers vs. summer lovers soon. Where have I seen this before? Hmmmmm, oh I know. Just about every single thread in here turns into such.

Some people like to move. Some people do not like to move. It's venturing into the unknown and anyone who thinks they know exactly what they are getting into, doesn't. We like to move. It's an adventure. It's a challenge every time but also a joy too. We always find the positive things of the places we move to and do not dwell on the negative. You can;t change the bad stuff of a new city/state so why bother focusing on it?

Each move has been a different experience. Each move has been memorable and will always provide life long memories of our adventures. Not once have we moved somewhere wishing we had never made the move. We have moved to 4 states in 3 different region in the last 10 years. When people ask me what I thought of one of the towns I have lived in, I always more good things to say than bad.

If you are moving where you do not have friends and family your spouse needs to be your best friend, period. If you and your spouse are sort of distant, don't get along when spending huge amounts of time together and require getting out of the house to get away from one another once in awhile..... I highly suggest you do not move to where you do not know anybody. Quite likely, your spouse will be your only true friend for at least a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 08:00 AM
 
80 posts, read 144,850 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Oh looky. Here we go. Typical Florida forum turning into winter lovers vs. summer lovers soon. Where have I seen this before? Hmmmmm, oh I know. Just about every single thread in here turns into such.

Some people like to move. Some people do not like to move. It's venturing into the unknown and anyone who thinks they know exactly what they are getting into, doesn't. We like to move. It's an adventure. It's a challenge every time but also a joy too. We always find the positive things of the places we move to and do not dwell on the negative. You can;t change the bad stuff of a new city/state so why bother focusing on it?

Each move has been a different experience. Each move has been memorable and will always provide life long memories of our adventures. Not once have we moved somewhere wishing we had never made the move. We have moved to 4 states in 3 different region in the last 10 years. When people ask me what I thought of one of the towns I have lived in, I always more good things to say than bad.

If you are moving where you do not have friends and family your spouse needs to be your best friend, period. If you and your spouse are sort of distant, don't get along when spending huge amounts of time together and require getting out of the house to get away from one another once in awhile..... I highly suggest you do not move to where you do not know anybody. Quite likely, your spouse will be your only true friend for at least a year.
Hubby and I are bestfriends and that is why we know we would be ok. We spend a lot of time together and are rarely apart unless he is golfing or I am meeting up with friends for pedicures or dinner. Other than the yearly golf trip or me going to a conference we spend our weekends together. We are that sappy couple married for 13 yrs but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I notice everyone talks about the heat and how bad it is. I know going into this that it's tropical crazy heat and I will not be wearing the same clothes I do now through out the year. If people are staying inside all the time that is a bummer. I would think they would find things to do that offer cooling options like swimming, is there water parks, go out in the morning and at night... I work all day so 9-6 I am in A/C already. But I would think I could go outside after work with our dying of heat right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Beach
3,380 posts, read 8,185,623 times
Reputation: 2930
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmama32 View Post
Hubby and I are bestfriends and that is why we know we would be ok. We spend a lot of time together and are rarely apart unless he is golfing or I am meeting up with friends for pedicures or dinner. Other than the yearly golf trip or me going to a conference we spend our weekends together. We are that sappy couple married for 13 yrs but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I notice everyone talks about the heat and how bad it is. I know going into this that it's tropical crazy heat and I will not be wearing the same clothes I do now through out the year. If people are staying inside all the time that is a bummer. I would think they would find things to do that offer cooling options like swimming, is there water parks, go out in the morning and at night... I work all day so 9-6 I am in A/C already. But I would think I could go outside after work with our dying of heat right?

Sort of depends. I think 85 is the perfect outdoor temperature, regardless of humidity... for the most part.

Mornings are cooler than nights. In the peak heat of summer nights can still be quite warm., typically July early August. Adventure Island is Busch Gardens Waterpark. It's nothing amazing but its a good park IMO. You can bring food and drinks in, makes for a great day.

I have a pool, I made it a requirement. We spend a lot of time in the pool. Although the pool at our new house is significantly cooler than our old pool because it gets some shade through the day and is screened in. Our old pool was unobstructed and not screened in. Both face south. The pool that was not screened in was swimmable from May - November. Our new pool is already getting borderline on being too cold to swim in. A heater will be required.

I think people that complain the most about the heat are those that work in it. I understand, I would hate it too. I work in an A/C office and don;t work in the heat. Mowing my yard, doing yard work and even walking around in county parks will cause you to sweat quite a bit in the months Mid June - Early Sept. Other than that, you'll sweat when doign these activities, just not as much.

Here - super simple rule for anybody who it thinking about moving to Florida. If you do not like to sweat and find it extremely annoying/inconvenient... do not move here.

It's not as bad as some people make it out to be. It's also not as wonderful as others portray it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 09:08 AM
 
4,422 posts, read 6,393,453 times
Reputation: 10872
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post

If you are moving where you do not have friends and family your spouse needs to be your best friend, period. If you and your spouse are sort of distant, don't get along when spending huge amounts of time together and require getting out of the house to get away from one another once in awhile..... I highly suggest you do not move to where you do not know anybody. Quite likely, your spouse will be your only true friend for at least a year.
This is so spot on. I expected to hook up with lots of people when we moved to FL, transplants just like me, but it didn't happen. I've only been back in Massachusetts for 6 months and I have a hoard of new friends. Neighbors stop their cars to ask me if I need a ride when I'm walking and it looks like rain, they bring us tomatoes from their gardens, we've been out to dinner with new friends and we enjoy wine and conversation at each other's houses. It's the way it should be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 09:42 AM
 
80 posts, read 144,850 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
This is so spot on. I expected to hook up with lots of people when we moved to FL, transplants just like me, but it didn't happen. I've only been back in Massachusetts for 6 months and I have a hoard of new friends. Neighbors stop their cars to ask me if I need a ride when I'm walking and it looks like rain, they bring us tomatoes from their gardens, we've been out to dinner with new friends and we enjoy wine and conversation at each other's houses. It's the way it should be!
I imagine it is difficult to hook up with people when you are new to an area. I think about this for my husband as he will only have me. As for me, I will be moving down with 10-12 coworkers I already know so I won't be w/o friends. We have already talked about taking turns hosting dinner parties at each others homes because we know no one outside of each other (my coworkers).

I will miss my friends here but I know I will make new ones eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Florida and CT
638 posts, read 1,276,548 times
Reputation: 343
I think since you will be in the workforce and will already know some people, it will be a lot easier to make new friends and that won't be an issue for you.

Many who move down after retirement say they have trouble making new friends in Florida. I think work and kids provide some built-in social connections, and when you are retired you usually aren't bringing those with you. Some of the gated communities for retirees are supposed to be social, but others, I've heard, prove to be a disappointment. The "friends" thing for retirees is kind of the luck of the draw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 11:15 AM
 
10 posts, read 31,433 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
If you are moving where you do not have friends and family your spouse needs to be your best friend, period. If you and your spouse are sort of distant, don't get along when spending huge amounts of time together and require getting out of the house to get away from one another once in awhile..... I highly suggest you do not move to where you do not know anybody. Quite likely, your spouse will be your only true friend for at least a year.
I would have to agree. Fiance moved here because of his job promotion. I followed later. We still don't have any friends. and it's been 11 months. We try to talk to our neighbors but they only stay out to chat for a few minutes and then they are off. Co-workers are all into their own lives although we chat at work- we haven't hung out with co-workers after work. We did get a puppy in May and that changed our lives for the better. We haven't made any "friends" but at least other dog owners talk to us at parks and places like Petsmart.

I am really lonely here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Castle Rock, Co
1,614 posts, read 2,807,229 times
Reputation: 960
I lived my whole life here and dont have any friends, dont feel bad. My friends from school have all moved to other states and meeting new people here is like pulling teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Castle Rock, Co
1,614 posts, read 2,807,229 times
Reputation: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes you stay cool here by staying indoors.

How is it in the 70s here during the day for a good six months and 50s at night, last Thanksgiving it was 86 degrees, and it had been consistently that warm and warmer through Oct and Nov.

It was over 80 degrees on Christmas.

Let's tell the truth, you get about 3 months of 70 degree weather, not 6 months.

Jan, Feb, and into March provide the temps you're talking about, that is not 6 months.

It is currently feels like 97 degrees right now in the Tampa area. There is no difference from July and August, there is no change.

Why do people lie about the weather?

Agreed.

Also, you think it sucks doing grocerys in the snow? try it in a nice florida downpoor. When I lived in salt lake city, I was thankfull for it just being snow. Sure, the bottom of you pants may get wet and your shoes MIGHT get wet but atleast your generally dry. Here, there wont be a dry part of you. you will walk 10 feet out from cover and be SOAKED from head to toe like you just jumped in the pool. then as your running to your car in this downpoor, you hit a slick spot on the street and bust your *****.. I cant tell you how many times I have watched this happen, I still get quite a laugh from it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top