U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 04:13 PM

80 posts, read 145,871 times

Advertisements

My hubby is starting to second guess the move now. He still loves the idea of warm weather but now he is hesitant based on finding a job, kids schools, who will watch our kids, leaving all our family and friends and the change in general.

How many of you went through the same up's and down' before you took the plunge and just did it?

The reason for our move was because I was offered a transfer plus relocation money so we could afford to do it, and my husband always dreamed of living in FL. Now he is wondering if it's worth it to 'try' something new when we have a happy life here.

Ugh! Is this normal or go back and forth the closer it comes to reality?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 04:16 PM

12,135 posts, read 14,050,391 times
If it's only "warm weather" is the reason for relocating, rethink it carefully.
The lifestyle in FL is different than a lot of places. It can be very laid back
or it can be very urban depending on where you are and where you go.
Sounds like you have it pretty set there and none of that will be here for
you. You both would be on your own. It's a nice adventure, but it is also
a life changing event.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:42 PM

15,840 posts, read 33,180,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmama32 View Post
My hubby is starting to second guess the move now. He still loves the idea of warm weather but now he is hesitant based on finding a job, kids schools, who will watch our kids, leaving all our family and friends and the change in general.

How many of you went through the same up's and down' before you took the plunge and just did it?

The reason for our move was because I was offered a transfer plus relocation money so we could afford to do it, and my husband always dreamed of living in FL. Now he is wondering if it's worth it to 'try' something new when we have a happy life here.

If you have a happy and settled life there, I wouldn't do it. I honestly don't think it will work out. At least think long and hard. if you are having doubts now, that is reason enough. My philosophy is if I have to think about something too long, I don't want it.

JMO

Old 09-12-2011, 05:08 PM

149 posts, read 425,848 times
There's a saying "the grass is always greener..." and another one "you don't know what you had until it's gone".

A huge decision that's obviously exponentially more important with kids in the equation. Weather is nice, but does that offset the loss of everything else. How old are the kids?

Old 09-12-2011, 08:49 PM

110 posts, read 131,443 times
Wow... that is such a bad idea to move. You all are happy where you are and you have friends/family there but you are going to move for the warm weather? Bad bad idea. You should not uproot your family for this reason. Plan family trips to FL during the winter to get your fix. I so agree with the above posts.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:04 PM

670 posts, read 1,127,654 times
Dont do it. Your gut, mind and heart have already confirmed it for you. Oh and your eyes too! You didnt like what you saw while here. Dont come.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:10 PM

35,319 posts, read 44,590,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmama32 View Post

Pro's and cons of this move.

Pro
No snow

Cons
Walking away from happy comfortable life for dubious future.
Saying goodbye to friends and family
Uprooting kids from school and friends
All the hassle of moving all that stuff from wherever to Florida.

Think i'd rather invest in a new winter coat and a set of snow tires for the car and plan a nice family vacation to Florida for next August..

Old 09-13-2011, 04:57 AM

767 posts, read 1,653,952 times
It all depends on where you currently live and what your current financial situation is.

I just moved here and I'm never looking back. It was the best thing I did. You owe it to your family to give them the best quality of life you can. It will be tough going for the first year or two until you settle in, but you need to focus on the LONG TERM. Don't come here thinking you will have an instant life like you did in your previous location. You need to build from the ground up.

If you have children, it will be easier to make friends and get back your support system. If you love outdoor activities, water activities, amusement parks, etc. there is no better place on earth to be. With that said, you MUST have job(s) lined up BEFORE you get here. It's really that simple. Having a job will relieve SO much pressure. You can then just concentrate on the living part.

Nothing worthwhile is easy, I'd go for it!!!! Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:59 AM

80 posts, read 145,871 times
Kids are 8 yrs and 10 yrs and my oldest does not want to move. My job that I do here will be waiting for me in FL with opportunity to grow. We are opening a new location so upper management positions will be available where they aren't here.

My husband will need to start over looking for a job. He might be able to relocate into the same employer but not the same job. He works for a nationwide company but we aren't counting on him being able to transfer. He would need a job before we moved.

The dream of moving there was because of the weather and the ocean. The thing that made it a reality was me having a job guaranteed, possible opportunities to advance in salary/position, and relocation package to purchase house, moving expenses paid for, etc. What is holding us back is family, friends, living somewhere we feel safe and know our way around. People move everyday and I always wondered what it would be like to move somewhere else. But now that I have kids involved is it fair to uproot them just to 'try something different'?

As kbrk asked we are financially good here. I am afraid my husband might not make what he does in FL and being new man on the block, I am afraid of him losing his job if the company ever downsized. He is very valuable at his current job even though everyone can be replaced, I feel confident where he is now.

I am in my 30's and have never moved away from the surrounding area I grew up. I have traveled to other states for work/vacation but have always lived here. Same for my husband.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 AM

35,319 posts, read 44,590,795 times
If you decide not to go you'll always be second guessing that decision.
If you do take the plunge and make the move how viable would it be to return to where you are now if things dont work out in Florida?
Could a compromise be more vacations in Florida with the ultimate goal be retiring in Florida?
Many people have moved to Florida and had great success with the move,others not so much.
Personnally i'd be leaning in the direction of making the move if i were in your position as the main job of employment and finances arent an issue.
The kids at that age wont like the move but at that age they dont have a choice..
Friends and family can come visit or you could take vacations back to wherever you are now..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay