U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:06 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,414,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny369 View Post
Hello, all! Moving to the Tampa Bay Area in late Sept / October this year. Wondering what can I expect for weather in this area in the Fall?
You can expect what will probably seem like summer weather to you, usually until around Halloween although if we are lucky it comes a little sooner. If we are not lucky, a little later. Today is Sept. 23. The weather station nearest me (MacDill) reports a temp of 85ºF that feels like 102ºF. In the time it took me to compose this post, that has changed to a temp of 88º that feels like 108º. Humidity is at 83%. Not unusual for this time of year, and it's been like this for months with little to no variation.

Quote:
Also, I would like to stay active and meet people during the Fall.
Fall in Florida is a great time to meet other people and get out and enjoy what the Tampa Bay area has to offer. Lots of people here sort of hibernate inside during the depth of summer and start to come back out once the heat breaks.

Quote:
Do a lot of people do walks along the beach or is it too cool?
During the fall it is usually not to cool to SWIM at the beach, walking is fine. Current Gulf temps are in the mid 80's.

Quote:
Are there scenic areas to ride bikes? Good trails?
Of course. There are great bike trails in Pinellas and Hillsborough, and I'm sure other counties have them as well.

Quote:
Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks!
I'll give you the same suggestion I give every transplant (assuming you are coming from a temperate region). Time your first vacation after you move so that you go up north in fall to see the changing leaves. The lack of what people from temperate climates think of as fall seems to be the major thing that causes homesickness, and a trip in the fall seems to help most transplants through the acclimation period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 01:06 PM

155 posts, read 394,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Well it can get cold in Dec in the teens even single digits but that is not the norm. There are lots of things to do in the fall and even in Feb there is Gasparilla parade and Renaissance Festival.
Single digits is stretching it unless maybe you're talking about very far inland. The lowest temperature ever recorded in Tampa was 18 degrees, the lowest in St. Pete was 22 degrees. Both of those were in 1962.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:22 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,958,164 times
We are still stuck in a reverse west wind flow like we have been all summer. Feels just as bad as it did in July and still no rain in my area.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:23 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,958,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserable Midwest View Post
Single digits is stretching it unless maybe you're talking about very far inland. The lowest temperature ever recorded in Tampa was 18 degrees, the lowest in St. Pete was 22 degrees. Both of those were in 1962.
We also saw 19 degrees on Dec 25th 1983.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:39 PM

159 posts, read 216,999 times
Default visit end of Jan

Is there anything going on at the end of Jan, and is it warm enough to swim in Tampa than?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:53 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,424,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schil View Post
Is there anything going on at the end of Jan, and is it warm enough to swim in Tampa than?
In January? Hell no... this weather we have been having the past month is an aberration. Usually you can plan on swimming by mid April

Old 12-23-2011, 06:25 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,414,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schil View Post
Is there anything going on at the end of Jan,
How about the Gasparilla pirate fest?

Gasparilla Pirate Fest - Tampa, Florida - Pirate Invasion

Quote:
and is it warm enough to swim in Tampa than?
Depends. Only Canadians and similar polar creatures seem to enjoy swimming in the open water without a wetsuit at that time of year. I do enjoy swimming in heated pools at that time of year if the air temperature is reasonably warm, and it often is.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:27 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,393,510 times
We have been having absolutely beautiful weather. Our highs have been in the 80s with blue skies and lots of sunshine. It's been ideal for me, but others not so much. I joined an adult kickball team and have been enjoying that a great deal. I also walk daily, bike occasionally, and go to the beach every two weeks or so. I went swimming this week, but it was a heated pool. Unless you are very cold tolerant, I'd think you'd want to swim in a heated pool for the next couple of months. Best wishes and welcome!

Old 12-25-2011, 05:36 PM

1,798 posts, read 2,487,246 times
I'm not trying to nitpick, but truly beautiful weather would be about 68 degrees, less than 40% humidity, and not a single cloud in the sky. And the sky would be a deep blue too, not any milky white look to it. But I know I'm being a perfectionist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
We have been having absolutely beautiful weather. Our highs have been in the 80s with blue skies and lots of sunshine. It's been ideal for me, but others not so much. I joined an adult kickball team and have been enjoying that a great deal. I also walk daily, bike occasionally, and go to the beach every two weeks or so. I went swimming this week, but it was a heated pool. Unless you are very cold tolerant, I'd think you'd want to swim in a heated pool for the next couple of months. Best wishes and welcome!

Old 12-25-2011, 09:00 PM

8,488 posts, read 18,544,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
I'm not trying to nitpick, but truly beautiful weather would be about 68 degrees, less than 40% humidity, and not a single cloud in the sky. And the sky would be a deep blue too, not any milky white look to it. But I know I'm being a perfectionist.
What you described would be your idea of beautiful weather. Some people like it warmer than 68 degrees. Some people like a few clouds in the sky. I personally prefer 80 degrees and above.

40% humidity and lower is also not comfortable to many and is hard to find except in the desert for long periods. When relative humidity drops below 40% the risk of disease is increased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or