U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:37 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,068,367 times

Advertisements

went to a wedding back up in my hometown (dc) over the weekend.

it was humid and hot for most of the time. soon, however, it'll start getting dry, windy, and bitterly cold.

the traffic was miserable. gridlock on i-395 heading to and from dc... on a saturday.

route 1 was also backed up for no apparent reason. no accidents, no blockades due to 9/11 stuff. just a typical logjam. this was on sunday mid-afternoon.

everything, from the shopping centers to the neighborhoods felt crammed together. the population density is more apparent after having lived in tampa for a while. felt claustrophobic.

i heard more car horns in the first 12 hours than i've heard in tampa in 6+ months.

i walked along the mount vernon trail on the potomac river and was yelled at for not jumping out of the way of some arrogant cyclists (this is typical. they think they own the path.). one guy called my wife a ***** because she didn't jump into a pile of mud, allowing him to peddle without having to make a tiny course adjustment.

everything was more expensive.

elevation changes were nice, but the lack of palm trees sucked.

new construction around the corner from the condo i own. the sign out front read "condos from the $500s, townhomes from the $800s." this isn't even downtown. close, but over the river in virginia.

glad to be back.

i realize this is more of a "dc sucks" thread than a "yay tampa" thread, but going somewhere as aggravating as there makes you appreciate what we have here despite tampa's problems.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 07:15 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,240,931 times
We'll see how long this thread stays positive.

I have only visited DC once and it was in the fall. It was not hot and quite pleasant, however the traffic there was absolutely terrible. It's as a great town to visit and in the next 5 - 8 years I would really like to take my kids there to visit and see the monuments, documents and Smithsonians first hand.

This morning in Tampa was great! Nice and cool, I walked outside around 6:15 to let the dogs out and for a moment I was actually "chilly". One of the signs I drove by this morning said it was 72!

Old 09-13-2011, 07:34 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,068,367 times
absolutely visit the monuments. the washington monument is closed due to structural cracks thanks to the earthquake, but everything else is open for business.

all i'm saying (or hinting at, as it were) is that every place has its problems. folks should appreciate what we have in tampa because it's at the very least a lot less stressful to live here.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:23 PM

4,329 posts, read 6,017,133 times
I'm not surprised the traffic is worse in DC than Tampa. One is the Capitol of the most powerful nation on Earth, and the other one isn't.

I've had those two wheel jerks do the same thing to me on the Pinellas Trail. I think these "Competitive" bikers are just the same wherever you go-perhaps a broomstick in the spokes will teach them some manners.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:27 PM

13,773 posts, read 35,104,408 times
Well I think it is good that you went back and were happy you had moved to Tampa Bay. Too many ppl remember only the good things about a place and then are unhappy because the new place doesn't have those things.

Glad you are happy in Tampa

Old 09-15-2011, 05:56 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,220,486 times
I will usually jump on the "let's trash Tampa" banwagon. However, it isn't all bad. What I like about Tampa, and what I did not get in NJ is: finding a parking space easily when food shopping, or any shoppping for that matter. The isles are roomier and the stores are bigger. My kids take the school bus (the town I lived in the kids had to either walk, have their parents take them or carpool). I love the mild winters (no snow, YIPPIE). You gotta love going to beautiful beaches whenever you want. There is year round activities you can do such as kayaking/canoeing, biking, nature center walks, parks, etc. Culturally, it isn't as large as NYC, but it is there and it is usually more conveniant to get the theatre or wherever you are going.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 PM

670 posts, read 1,127,316 times
I needed that reminder NOT to go back to NOVA/DC. Even though I miss certain things about DC, I dont think i could EVER deal w that traffic again. The quality of life here is a LOT less stressful.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:30 AM

4,554 posts, read 6,905,023 times
Every time I go visit my daughters in the DC area, when I come back to the Tampa traffic, I see it is not that bad.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:53 AM

8,488 posts, read 18,658,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I'm not surprised the traffic is worse in DC than Tampa. One is the Capitol of the most powerful nation on Earth, and the other one isn't.
The reason the traffic is much worse is because the population density is 3 times higher than the Tampa area and the highway layout sucks.
There are many state capitols that the traffic is not near as bad as other more densely populated cities in that state.
Being the capitol of the U.S. does not cause more traffic.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:07 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,240,931 times
In the next few months you'll see many more people begin to talk about how they love the weather here. It's a typical City Data cycle. In the summer people complain about the heat here, talk about how terrible it is, etc. However, once winter rolls around and people in the North are complaining about shoveling themselves out of a storm, temperatures plummeting and the price of heating oil skyrocketing, people tend to say "It's not so bad here in Florida". It's borderline entertaining.

Loving that the weather seems to have finally broke around here and we're getting in the mid 70's at night. It's perfect in the evenings and the days don't seem quite as hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or