U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:33 AM

4 posts, read 19,822 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for a retirement home in the New Port Richey area but we have heard that some of the neighborhoods should be avoided. Can anyone give me a little advice on good and bad neighborhoods there? We're looking at small two bedroom two bath places with a small yard.

Thanks
Butch

Old 09-19-2011, 11:25 AM

26,764 posts, read 41,216,132 times
There are many very nice neighborhoods. At the moment in this economy there are so many communities that have lots of changes going on with new people moving in and hardly anybody has a clue who they are.

In my area some bad guys have moved out and we are very happy for that. Overall we are very happy with all the neighbors but we have some real rotten apples. Only 2 weeks ago my neighbor was arrested for child kidnapping from another State and they live in a $ 350,000.- home....so if some posters start to say that areas are bad, they might have to refer to some individuals.

Please check out the area on the www.pascosheriff.com website and put in the street or community and you can see for yourself how many calls have been placed.

Not to long ago a lady murdered her 2 kids and she lived in Tampa Palms which most people will tell you is a very nice area....things happen unfortunately.

If you move and have nice neighbors they might move and tenants move in who can be the best tenants or the worst....by the way my rotten neighbors are home owners and their other adult child is also awaiting trial for theft and the father also has a criminal past.....we hope they won't be able to pay their mortgage so they will have to move out!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:58 PM

35,316 posts, read 44,258,999 times
The neighbor from hell The video is hilarious..

Quadriplegic says violent neighbor assaulted him with fish | wtsp.com

Old 09-19-2011, 04:24 PM

OMG...I guess my neighbors are angels compared to this man...only 3 prior arrests with 7 charges for one person and 1 arrested as being a futive from CA and charged with child kidnapping....I guess we should be happy.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:01 PM

832 posts, read 2,627,304 times
Butch, here's the rule of thumb when it comes to NPR: Stay south of SR54 and east of Little Rd...lol.
That essentially limits you to the following (with a couple exceptions of the north of 54 rule): Longleaf, Trinity, River Crossing, River Ridge, Thousand Oaks, Fairway Springs.
Areas to avoid: ANYTHING in Holiday, which is along 19 south of Moog Rd. all the way down to Pinellas County line and west. This area is drug infested and crime is a regular occurrence. Stay out of Veteran's Village (where the fish incident occurred). Be wary, a lot of the 2br homes are in the Vet's Village and Holiday area- don't make the mistake of being lured to those places just on the 2br premise.
With the market the way it is, you should be able to pick up a smaller 3br as a foreclosure or on a short sale for a good deal and forego the 2 br idea. There are a lot of 2br villas, but those would be in some of the more affluent areas like Heritage Springs in Trinity. Those are actually really nice.
I can go into more details, but that should give you a starting point.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM

16,454 posts, read 11,068,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Butch, here's the rule of thumb when it comes to NPR: Stay south of SR54 and east of Little Rd...lol.
That essentially limits you to the following (with a couple exceptions of the north of 54 rule): Longleaf, Trinity, River Crossing, River Ridge, Thousand Oaks, Fairway Springs.
Areas to avoid: ANYTHING in Holiday, which is along 19 south of Moog Rd. all the way down to Pinellas County line and west. This area is drug infested and crime is a regular occurrence. Stay out of Veteran's Village (where the fish incident occurred). Be wary, a lot of the 2br homes are in the Vet's Village and Holiday area- don't make the mistake of being lured to those places just on the 2br premise.
With the market the way it is, you should be able to pick up a smaller 3br as a foreclosure or on a short sale for a good deal and forego the 2 br idea. There are a lot of 2br villas, but those would be in some of the more affluent areas like Heritage Springs in Trinity. Those are actually really nice.
Well said.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:27 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,961,738 times
If you find a place of interest you can always ask the good folks here.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:27 AM

Thank you. I'll use that advice. I'm seeing kind of the same things and I had already ruled out Holiday!! WOW what a bad area. Now to see if I can find a good realtor.

Thanks Again

Old 09-20-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
I disagree with many of your areas. The incident with the horrible "fish guy" is just one sick person who is nasty to have in the neighborhood but most of that street looked very nice...what if tomorrow this guy moves to a different area....?

On top of that I know of many happy home owners and tenants in Veterans Villas. To label "Holiday" as a complete bad area is not making sense either...that is similar to a person in NJ/NY or any where else stating that Florida is bad place to live....

I never take a post serious if they point a finger to an entire area...

BtW Pasco County is going to buy up more homes in the area in Colonial Manor and fix them up and sell them under the Pasco County affordable homes deal. This due to many foreclosures.

As I stated, my neighbors are scumbags and although they finally after 4 years started to maintain their property, you don't want them next to you....but I have to deal with that and our community is overal a very nice community...one bad apple is not taken that away from me...sorry we have more rotten apples and also ...unfortunately a few sex offenders as I noticed on the sheriffs website, but almost every area has them....In reality I have never seen them walk around but do know where they live, and that is "nice" to know so we have that info, but nobody knows who the person is who is abusing other minors and not has been caught yet. Some abuse 7 x before they get caught....Don't be ignorant and blame an entire area...that is wrong.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 AM

I didn't mean to offend anybody by labeling an area but I've looked at 10 or 12 homes in Holiday already and I wouldn't live in any of the neighborhoods. I think a lot of it is that it was one of the areas that took a big hit in the economy and there are a lot of run down houses in forclosure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay