Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:25 PM

7 posts, read 6,920 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We already booked a trip to tampa this coming May. I've been looking at houses online, but would like to actually explore the different neighborhoods. We are a family of four (two girls one 5 months old and a three years old). Schools are my priority. We also want a safe, family friendly neighborhood. Our budget for a house is $350K and we need at least four bedrooms, three baths and an office. Ofcourse a pool.
We have narrowed it down to Safety Harbor, Palm Harbor, and Oldsmar. I would love to be close to a harbor to go for walks.This May will be our first time looking to those towns. What should I be looking for when choosing the town? Any advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 05:17 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,078,831 times
As of now you are probably at the edge of your budget for a good home with all those requirements in a good school zone.
All of them are nice areas and close to water fronts and have nice parks with lakes for walking too.
Beaches are not as near as if you were in Seminole which is also good school zones, very safe, and very close to beaches.
Homes are zipping up in price in certain zones, and of a type that you will probably want - if you are looking after young ones and dont want to spend all your time fixing upping. If you are moving though and have a date to move, then renting might be an idea for the time being til you are comfortable with where you want to be. Everyone here has their own favourites, usually, like me, where they live LOL. Good luck to you.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:22 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
I think it is also important where you will end up working so you don't end up with a nasty commute.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
350K is not at the edge of your buget in those areas at all. You should be able to buy a nice place with that much money. Not sure what Lavender is looking at. May be with access to water body?

If I were you, out of the three, I would first look at Safety Harbor and perhaps rent first.

What should you be looking? Check the schools and perhaps go to the school and talk to them. Check communte times at different time and you should be good to go.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:46 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
I can only say this- in Pinellas there are some kid friendly areas but mostly it's full of retirees,,, 3 different places my grands could NOT find neighbor kids to play with,,, 90% of the homes occupied by seniors,,, and many leave 6 months out of the year,,, so see if they have kids so your children can make freinds before you buy anything.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:54 PM

Thank you for your replies. I will be working from home (telecommute). But my husband will be buying a business over there (convenience store/Gas station). We own both a house and a convenience store in Massachusetts. He has offers for the store already. I've never thought about renting, but it is a good idea while we get ourselves acclimated to the new environment. I think this will take away from my stress and anxiety right now; leaving everything we know (store, house, family and friends) is a big decision. Thank you for the great idea MeInDenudinFL.

PS: I don't need a house with access to water body. I'm afraid my crazy 3 years old will just jump in!

PhotoProIP, maybe we should look where my husband gets the store and then look for houses around that area. I heard commute is horrible over there. His commute is five minutes right now.

tinytrump: having kids around is very important. I want my kids to have neighborhood friends. Where in Tampa do you live?

Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM

296 posts, read 658,248 times
Add Westchase to your list. Its close to those neighborhoods and in a perfect location. I use to live there and would love to go back.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaculada View Post
I heard commute is horrible over there.
Never thought I would see the day that a resident of Massachusetts would refer to another locations commute as horrible.

When you sift through all the opinions of the traffic in Tampa/St Pete I think from a Northeastern perspective you will find the commute to be a dream.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:50 PM

You are right BavarianTransplant, I work from home and if I need to go to the office it is a 10 minutes ride. So, I'm very spoiled but in previous jobs, I remember been stock in traffic for one hour just to get home and TWO when snowed. I don't want to go back to long commutes if I don't have to.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:28 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaculada View Post
You are right BavarianTransplant, I work from home and if I need to go to the office it is a 10 minutes ride. So, I'm very spoiled but in previous jobs, I remember been stock in traffic for one hour just to get home and TWO when snowed. I don't want to go back to long commutes if I don't have to.
Exactly!

You are smart to value your time. I always shake my head when people say "commute is not a problem I have an hour or two now in -- (fill in your notheast big city here).". Why would one want to spend a lot of time on the road when you can have that time to do something else, you know, like enjoying the palce, the very reason that they moved in the first place? Just becasue you are used to long commute, you don't have to do it here. The average commuter spends 30minute over here. If you are spending much more than that, you are in select few group who are stressed up in the road and it shows by their driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay