Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 04:25 PM

97 posts, read 353,065 times

Advertisements

Why didn't they just repave the entire thing? If you cruise down Bayshore past Bay To Bay Blvd, they paved long stretches on either side, randomly. It looks awful because the new tar is pitch black and the old stuff is cement gray/white. What were they thinking? I can't be the only person annoyed with this?

It literally took them a few days to do all of that work, they could have easily paved the entire thing!

Bayshore Boulevard is one of Tampa's attractions and gems. It should have been fully repaved (at least where the work was done).

Old 09-24-2011, 09:29 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,087 times
I was thinking the same.. Terrible planing

Old 09-24-2011, 02:52 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
maybe the project isn't completed and the city has plans to do more resurfacing.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:23 PM

yeah, one would hope that but its not likely. Why would they tear up the road, completely re pave and finish chunks of the road to just come re do it all?

Old 09-25-2011, 07:32 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
They've been working on Bayshore in little pieces for over a year now. There are a few reasons I could think of for recently repaving only a few portions, the most obvious seems to be the significant flooding on Bayshore every time it rains a lot. Maybe those areas need to be higher so rain will shed? After the new work cures, then perhaps they will pave over it all? Maybe the rest doesn't need to be repaved and so to save money they only did areas with big potholes that kept coming back after a patch? Maybe they are trying to minimize the effect on traffic so they never need to close the road entirely?

As far as the aesthetics of fresh blacktop versus old bleached blacktop - fresh blacktop doesn't stay fresh and black very long in the FL sun.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:28 AM

100 posts, read 367,084 times
I am guessing monetary issue is playing a critical factor here. With state and local govs reeling under budget cuts, they're trying to save spending on anything. Perhaps the repaved areas were in real dire straits.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
They've been working on Bayshore in little pieces for over a year now. There are a few reasons I could think of for recently repaving only a few portions, the most obvious seems to be the significant flooding on Bayshore every time it rains a lot. Maybe those areas need to be higher so rain will shed? After the new work cures, then perhaps they will pave over it all? Maybe the rest doesn't need to be repaved and so to save money they only did areas with big potholes that kept coming back after a patch? Maybe they are trying to minimize the effect on traffic so they never need to close the road entirely?

As far as the aesthetics of fresh blacktop versus old bleached blacktop - fresh blacktop doesn't stay fresh and black very long in the FL sun.
Have you driven by there recently?

they didnt raise anything up, they used that big maching that eats up the old road and then just filled what they took out with new asphault.

They had HUGE chunks of the road closed for several days. With the speed of paving now days, they could have closed one lane at a time (which they pretty much did anyways) and just pave the whole thing.

The only reason I can think of is money. There are much worse roads in the area that could have used it. now, istead of just a rough patch of road ( no major pot holes I was aware of) its black, white, black, white bump to get on black, bump to get off black over and over again.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:51 AM

I drive Bayshore Blvd quite often and I will admit that it is a much smoother ride now... there were a lot of divots and bumps going southbound. I'm assuming it was a financial thing as well, but I suppose they know what they are doing, right?

As tilli mentioned, I'm sure it will fade in color over time, but for the next couple of years it's going to be look pretty awkward.

This kind of raises questions about repaving in general... there are so many places that should be repaved in South Tampa. Westshore Blvd comes to mind. But I guess we all have to live within our means, including the city.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:55 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
Have you driven by there recently?
Nope, was just throwing out some ideas for why they didn't repave the entire thing. Next time I am out I will check it out.
Quote:
they didnt raise anything up, they used that big maching that eats up the old road and then just filled what they took out with new asphault.
If I understand correctly, the machine that eats up the old road really helps the new asphalt to stick to the old road surface better so the first strong rain doesn't wash it away (like what happened to Waters Ave. a few years back during that freak winter storm). They still may come back and smooth over the entire thing, especially if it is not a smooth ride yet or the lanes are uneven.

Quote:
They had HUGE chunks of the road closed for several days. With the speed of paving now days, they could have closed one lane at a time (which they pretty much did anyways) and just pave the whole thing.
Maybe they could, maybe they couldn't. I'd assume there was some reason they did it this way rather than assuming general incompetency.

Quote:
The only reason I can think of is money. There are much worse roads in the area that could have used it. now, istead of just a rough patch of road ( no major pot holes I was aware of) its black, white, black, white bump to get on black, bump to get off black over and over again.
I doubt they will leave it like that, sounds like a temporary fix. There was a pretty bad section southbound not far from Gandy, sounds like they fixed that. The potholes in that spot had been patched over and over and over - thus the rough ride.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:02 PM

And I was right:

Officials bemoan bumpy Bayshore Boulevard | TBO.com - January 07, 2012

And here is my response to this news article:
Quote:
I complained about this when they first started patching. It looks pretty terrible with having only some parts with new pavement and some parts old. There is too big of a contrast. Sure, it will fade a little bit over time, but just compare Gandy Blvd. to Bayshore Blvd. Wouldn't it be great if Tampa's most beautiful, legendary road was paved consistently? I think this is a no brainer. Let's start doing things to show off this city's assets. Like a chick and a Victoria Secret's bombshell bra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay