Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,675 times

Advertisements

I am from Las Vegas and I'm thinking of buying a business in New port richey. Which is a small town North of Tampa. About 30 minutes or so. Since Its a very small town, I don't think we can ever live their, we will be living in tampa. and I will be traveling to work everyday. What's the best place to live in tampa? I have a wife and 2 year old. We are in our early 30's. Were looking to move in to safe neighbourhood , family oriented place, since were from vegas, we would like to enjoy a city life as well. How are the schools in tampa? I'm big sports fan and I know Tampa seems to be a sports city with some professional teams. Our nationality is Indian and would also like to know if their is a small or big indian community?(from India). We like attending culture program and some functions. How's the life in Tampa over all? fast, laidback, friendly??? Any suggestions will help! Thank you all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 04:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I'd seriously consider an extensive exploratory trip ( at least 2 weeks)to the area before committing as NPR may not be what you had in mind when imagining Florida, its also quite a commute from NPR to Tampa every day.
Indian culture? sparce..As some one who often likes to cook Indian food i find that most of the west coast Floridas knowledge of the cuisine is limited to a bottle of curry powder at Walmart, in other words most have no clue about Indians and their culture and its reflected in the availability of restaurants and or food stores..
Tampa as big city? As there is basically just office buildings downtown it kinda closes up after business hours as no one lives in the downtown area and i imagine it would be a total disappointment to anyone comparing it to downtown Vegas...

Last edited by jambo101; 09-28-2011 at 05:06 AM..

Old 09-28-2011, 05:49 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
You're going to experience a culture shock from Vegas to Tampa, that's for sure. Not so much in a negative way. The weather is very different as well.

You definitely need to visit for a few weeks to get a feel for the area - you'll also want to see what the traffic patterns are for the work commute. There are areas that can get very congested and frustrating if you have to drive a certain route everyday.

Regarding being a sports town - we could use any help w/ attendance - so happy to have you here. We have a couple of teams that are on the rise (Bucs, Bolts) and one that has been relatively successful over the last couple of seasons (Rays). Our major university USF has a football team that also fun to watch and offers pretty inexpensive tickets to games.

You might find cultural resources from the University community - might have to research the area via internet or maybe one of our posters has more information.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,054 times
NPR is very down on businesses right now. Analize very well what you will be getting into. Most businesses are not doing well.
On the other hand, Oldsmar has a very large Indian community at the Abbey apts, which is in Forest Lakes road. Most of the ppl living there are Indian and they work at various jobs throughout Tampa.
A new Indian restaurant opened near there recently, and it seems to be doing very well.I can't remember the name right now , wish I did.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:45 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,517 times
NPR is like the armpit of this part of florida.

that said, if your business with thrive their then go for it but your commute might be a bit long to get into something you may enjoy. Its certainly nothing like vegas though

Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,675 times
Thank you all very much for your reply This really make me want to go their and spent some time and look into the business, area, and commute. I went their for about an hour and had to drive back to palm beach for a reason, so did not get a chance to do any research. We were looking into buying a pharmacy. Only thing that makes me want to move their was the numbers I saw from this business. Our business is targeting more older folks and nursing homes. Since business and unemployment has been bad to this town, I will have to do some more research on this.
Once again thank you all, and more comments are always welcome!!!!

Old 09-28-2011, 02:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Is this going to be a stand alone pharmacy or one of the super pharmacies that sell a lot more than just pharmaceuticals?

Your competition will be giants like Walgrens and CVS and they are all over the area ,heres 5 pages of your competition in New Port Richey.
Drug Stores & Pharmacies (Results 1 - 6 of 57)*~* Pharmacies New Port Richey FL*~* Simple Search ~ Superpages.com: Yellow Pages

This place you are thinking of buying would have to be very special if it has a hope of competing with the big boys..

Old 09-28-2011, 06:22 PM

329 posts, read 775,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
NPR is very down on businesses right now. Analize very well what you will be getting into. Most businesses are not doing well.
On the other hand, Oldsmar has a very large Indian community at the Abbey apts, which is in Forest Lakes road. Most of the ppl living there are Indian and they work at various jobs throughout Tampa.
A new Indian restaurant opened near there recently, and it seems to be doing very well.I can't remember the name right now , wish I did.
i think it is named "fifth element" wife and i have the lunch there sometimes.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:49 PM

389 posts, read 804,584 times
We just moved to Tampa 6 weeks ago.

We live in "New Tampa" which is northeast Tampa. I did extensive checking before we moved. In my opinion, New Tampa and Wesley Chapel just to the North are the premier areas of Tampa if you are accustomed to living in an area with a lot of new/modern home construction, schools that rank very highly, lots of shopping etc..

My wife commutes every day from New Tampa to New Port Richie, about a 40-45 minute drive depending on traffic. It's a state route, not a highway, but speeds average about 55 mph.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 PM

32 posts, read 49,377 times
I like the houses I'm seeing in New Tampa and definitely the prices, however, the taxes seem way higher there (CDDs?) and GreatSchools.Org doesn't seem to think highly of the schools. What are your experiences?

You mention your wife's commute, but are you commuting somewhere downtown? How is that? I've wondered how doable the commute would be to MacDill by shooting down one of the freeways, then cutting across the Expressway toll road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay