U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:54 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,341,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Registered a New(used) Car and here is the breakdown of the fees.

The car did not come with an existing license plate.

FL State Sales Tax = 6% of the purchase(sale) price.
County Tax = 1%

You can avoid the Initial Registration Fee if you can transfer an existing license plate(from your old car - that you no longer use or have sold)

• Purchase price = $15,000
  • Sales Tax: $900.00
  • County Tax: $150.00
  • Title Fees: $83.50
  • Agency Fee: $4.75
  • Total #1: $1138.25
  • Intial Registration Fee: $225.00
  • Registration Fees(based on vehicle weight): $57.00
  • Annual plate fee: $28
  • Total #2: $310.00
  • Grand Total: $1448.25
After paying the fees(almost 10% of the vehicle cost), am like damn its expensive living in FL
Maybe it's time to change the fees? Get a petition going for the next election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 06:19 PM

387 posts, read 702,563 times
I found this on their website, this sheds some light on the sales tax.

You bought it more than six months ago
If the motor vehicle was purchased six months or more before being brought into Florida, Florida sales or use tax or local discretionary sales surtax do not apply. You'll need to show proof that you used it for six months or more in another state or jurisdiction.
You bought it less than six months ago
If the motor vehicle was purchased and used less than six months in another state, territory of the United States or the District of Columbia, the full amount of the six percent Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax is required. However, that is offset by the sales tax you paid in the prior jurisdiction. For example, if you owe 6% to Florida, but you paid 4% to another state, you will only owe 2% to Florida.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:21 AM

686 posts, read 1,500,191 times
Tom, that is good news. I couldn't find anything. Guess I wasn't digging too much. Regardless, we are going to have to do whatever they say. Hopefully it is the same as what you found
Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom11011 View Post

If the motor vehicle was purchased six months or more before being brought into Florida, Florida sales or use tax or local discretionary sales surtax do not apply. You'll need to show proof that you used it for six months or more in another state or jurisdiction.
If the motor vehicle was purchased and used less than six months in another state, territory of the United States or the District of Columbia, the full amount of the six percent Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax is required. However, that is offset by the sales tax you paid in the prior jurisdiction. For example, if you owe 6% to Florida, but you paid 4% to another state, you will only owe 2% to Florida.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:24 AM

Here is the link, this might be helpful.
Florida DHSMV - New Residents

Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 AM

686 posts, read 1,500,191 times
Thanks Tom! I was on that page and it was so blatant, I didn't see it. I do now.
Thx!!!

Old 10-12-2011, 11:27 PM

144 posts, read 314,194 times
I know that some of my neighbors here in NY are "snow birds" and had their NY cars registered in Fl. Now I'm wondering why since it appears to be really expensive to do so, unless car insurance is cheaper in Fl in order to offset the difference.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:24 AM

I think you only pay the large fee once if you have never had FL license plates. I don't know that anyone would flip flop between the two, I would just keep one plate or the other especially if you have a home in NY.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:29 PM

534 posts, read 853,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom11011 View Post

I just bought a new truck and paid 7% in RI does that mean I'll get 1% back when I reg. it in Fl. (LMAO)

Old 10-28-2011, 06:55 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,419,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Registered a New(used) Car and here is the breakdown of the fees.

The car did not come with an existing license plate.
That's your problem. It's called impact fees in addition to sales tax. If you itemize your federal income tax, you can deduct the sales tax, but not the impact fee.

Quote:
You can avoid the Initial Registration Fee if you can transfer an existing license plate(from your old car - that you no longer use or have sold)
Yep, it's been that way for decades here. If you dont have an existing tag, they get you for the impact fee. It's a one time cost...

Quote:
After paying the fees(almost 10% of the vehicle cost), am like damn its expensive living in FL
Most states have this... you also pay the impact fee if you move to Florida with an existing tag from another state. Like I said, pretty much every state does this...

Old 10-29-2011, 02:51 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,820,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Most states have this... you also pay the impact fee if you move to Florida with an existing tag from another state. Like I said, pretty much every state does this...
http://www.fiada.com/upload_documents/WhitePaperIncreasedFees.pdf (broken link)

In 2009, Florida Legislature approved increases of 125% for new residents and new license plates, and 54% for all other registrations.

In Florida, the impact fee is $225.

Not every state does this. Texas DOES have a new resident fee but it's only $90. Tennessee and Louisiana do NOT have new resident fees. I've registered in all 4 states in my life.

Florida also charges what ? $68 for a drivers license ? $20 in Tennessee, $22 in Louisiana, and $25 in Texas.

Florida is just trying to charge everyone for things they HAVE to have to live/work in the state to make up financial losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay