U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:10 AM

27,798 posts, read 27,802,254 times

Advertisements

I was there last night - my ears are still ringing. I've attended Rays games from March's Spring Training games to the last game of the regular season. I admit I was skeptical and predicted a 70-80 win season at best after losing key players because of a salary dump.

Well they gave us some memories for a lifetime - especially last night's game.

And for the Floridian Red Sox fans in the Tampa Bay area - no intention to rub things in, but isn't it finally time to adopt your home team. The same goes for you Floridian Yankee fans and Florida Philly fans (I know you're all out there). If this is now your hometown, wouldn't it be the right thing to do?

Good luck to the Rays the rest of the way, whatever happens.

Last edited by BucFan; 09-29-2011 at 06:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:12 AM

1,480 posts, read 4,609,759 times
How can you not love the Rays? Last night was absolutely epic... unbelievable. Those guys could make a baseball fan out of anyone.

Once in a while, sports transcend mere entertainment and teaches us deep life lessons. Last night was one of those moments. The game and the whole season thus far is inspiring.

IT'S NOT OVER 'TILL IT'S OVER! NEVER GIVE UP!! GO RAYS!!!!

Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 AM

305 posts, read 544,622 times
I was watching Bay News 9 this morning and it was the first time I ever heard the term "The America League Wildcard Champions"

Old 09-29-2011, 07:48 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,605,771 times
I'm saddened (and a wee bit embarrassed) to say I fell asleep last night when the Rays were down 7-0. I thought it was over. So when I awoke this morning, I was elated to hear they had made a come-back and won the game. The following video of Dan Johnson's 9th inning homerun that tied the game is awesome. I'll bet the crowd went wild with Longoria's homerun to win in the 12th inning.

Dan Johnson Home Run: Rays Pinch-Hitter Ties Game In Bottom Of The Ninth (VIDEO)

Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 AM

27,798 posts, read 27,802,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post

Once in a while, sports transcend mere entertainment and teaches us deep life lessons.
I agree. Recently I wondered why I spent so much time watching sports (Bucs, Bulls, Rays, Bolts) and what was the value.

It dawned on me the other day that watching sports takes me away from irritants in the world that I have no control over. I find when there's a break in sports, I follow national politics and get irritated/anxious over the issues that our politicians can't seem to resolve.

So for me, being a sports fan is good therapy, one way or another.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:04 AM

4,586 posts, read 3,595,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I was there last night - my ears are still ringing. I've attended Rays games from March's Spring Training games to the last game of the regular season. I admit I was skeptical and predicted a 70-80 win season at best after losing key players because of a salary dump.

Well they gave us some memories for a lifetime - especially last night's game.

And for the Floridian Red Sox fans in the Tampa Bay area - no intention to rub things in, but isn't it finally time to adopt your home team. The same goes for you Floridian Yankee fans and Florida Philly fans (I know you're all out there). If this is now your hometown, wouldn't it be the right thing to do?

Good luck to the Rays the rest of the way, whatever happens.
I'm a diehard Red Sox fan in the Orlando area and send my congrats to the Rays. The Red Sox have no one to blame but themselves ... although I will never forgive the Yankees for not pitching Rivera in the 9th up 7-6.

Since I don't live in Tampa, I guess I can keep my allegiance to the Sox. With the good comes the bad ... 2004 to 2011.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I'm saddened (and a wee bit embarrassed) to say I fell asleep last night when the Rays were down 7-0. I thought it was over.
Think of how many people were at the game and went home in the 7th or 8th inning!

Old 09-29-2011, 09:27 AM

I really appreciate irony, so I enjoyed reading this:

Here's one that will impress the guy on the next barstool:
You may know that Robert Andino's game-winning hit in Baltimore preceded Longoria's blast by only a few minutes. And you may know that Andino's line drive single went in and out of the glove of a sliding Carl Crawford in leftfield. And you certainly know Longoria's walkoff homer went slicing down the leftfield line at Tropicana.
But did you know the reason Longoria's shot had a chance to leave the park was because the Rays lowered the wall in the leftfield corner from nine feet to five feet in 2007?
They did it to give Crawford a chance to make home run-robbing catches.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseb...cle1194297.ece

Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 AM

305 posts, read 544,622 times
Bucfan, with the history the Yankees have you can never give them up and adopt another team. Now the Redsox on the other hand.......

Old 09-29-2011, 10:16 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,207,599 times
Maybe if the Rays moved into a different division they would have more people adopt them as their home team... Yankees and BoSox fans are typically some of the most loyal fans... hard to get them to root for an opposing team in the same division, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay