U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 01:43 PM

53 posts, read 86,640 times

Advertisements

Well... retirement is here, finally, and we have been talking about retiring to FL for a while. We are in our early 40s, with three children- 1 elementary, 2 middle school.

Where is your employment and the hours you will be working.

We will have a solid pension. No jobs lined up but I am a nurse, so eventually I can do that. No rush.

What is your budget for housing. Do you want to rent or buy?

We would like to buy, but would rent first if necessary. We definitely want waterfront, gulf access. Budget under 400. Low 3's would be great.

I just need to know WHERE I'm going! Trying to settle on an area.

Are schools a concern?

YES! And yes, I do know that Florida schools are overall poor. But I refuse to believe that its impossible to get a good education anywhere here! We originally looked at Longboat Key. Visited in July- LOVED it. But even with lower house prices, it's just too much. I don't want to be in a cardboard box.

Next I looked into Cape Coral. Affordable waterfront properties for sure, seems like a nice community. Schools are pretty scary, according the forums, and have my stomach churning, literally. With School Choice in Lee County- it's is a gamble. (Is this a FL thing or a Lee Cty thing?)

Back when we investigated Sarasota Schools, we were pleased.

How are Tampa schools??? This is the input I am really looking for.

What else is important to you?

My husband and I are best friends and are on the same page (good point brought up here.) We are looking forward to a change in lifestyle- more relaxed but very active. Very involved with our kids. Family-type activities important (but I do believe that's up to the famil y to create...)
Not looking forward to oppressive heat but I also dread the winters here as well- they are awful. Hoping that being waterfront will help a little with the heat.

I have been so excited about this move but I am nervous, of course.

I would love to have some great advice about locations. Is Tampa a great place for families? Waterfront available in our price range? Schools decent?

I look forward to hearing all (most ) of your replies...

THANK YOU!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 03:21 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,832,989 times
Geez, I have nothing to offer but I hope im in position to retire at 40!!! lol

Old 10-04-2011, 04:03 PM

53 posts, read 86,640 times
He started young... Lots of things we hated about his job, but we are now about to enjoy the one reason he hung in there!

I'm sure we will do something. We would love to start a business but just don't know exactly what yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or