Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 AM

80 posts, read 161,777 times

Advertisements

Coming from Michigan, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas are definitely different here than in FL. On Halloween, it is usually crisp air and the kids generally have to wear their coats or a raincoat while T or T'ing. November is cold with or w/o a dusting of snow and Christmas is usually full blown winter.

How was your first fall/winter holiday in Florida?

Did you miss your traditional holiday weather or embrace what FL has to offer? How about now?

Did people come visit you or did you go home for the holidays?

Do people decorate for Christmas with snowmen, penguins and blow up lawn santas or do they take a more tropical santa scene with a light up palm tree?

I think our first holiday (2012) could be hard being away from home as our kids are so young and use to what we do here. We are hoping to be back for Christmas but the other holidays will be spent in FL. I have spent Easter in FL many times and it wasn't any different than here just warmer and we hit the beach!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 11:16 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
People decorate with snowment and all still lol. You will see palm trees lit up too though!!

Personally, I cant say my first holidays here since I was born here but I will say that my one set of holidays up north were MUCH more enjoyable for me. It was awesome seeing all of the colorfull trees in the fall instead of just buying fake ones for here. Also, the snow on christmas just set the mood right. The last few christmases I remember here I was wearing shorts and a tshirt which to me, is kind of lame.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:08 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
How was your first fall/winter holiday in Florida? Our first fall/winter holiday in Florida was Halloween. we enjoyed trick or treating on a nice warm evening. Nobody complaining about being cold or slipping on ice. The kids scored quite the bounty.

Thanksgiving and Christmas people came and visited us. It was nice.

Did you miss your traditional holiday weather or embrace what FL has to offer? How about now? Yeah, I miss the snow on Thanksgiving. For some reason I do not miss it on Christmas. I miss the LOOK of snow. Not the labor or cold associated with it though. Yes, we embraced the weather here in FL for the holidays. On Thanksgiving day last year (very warm) we swam in the pool and sunned on the pool deck (MIL who was visiting was loving it).

Did people come visit you or did you go home for the holidays? People visit us. It gives them an excuse to go somewhere warm in the winter. In fact we have so many visitors in the winter we have had scheduling conflicts before and have had to have people change their schedules.

Do people decorate for Christmas with snowmen, penguins and blow up lawn santas or do they take a more tropical santa scene with a light up palm tree? This deepends greatly on neighborhoods and individuals. We went Christmas light looking using the light guide in the paper and just driving around. You'll see both themes. There are definitely some impressive displays. Our house is going to look great this year. Purchased a lot of stuff after xmas last year and it's so nice hanging lights without freezing.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:07 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,526 times
Ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmama32 View Post
Coming from Michigan, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas are definitely different here than in FL. On Halloween, it is usually crisp air and the kids generally have to wear their coats or a raincoat while T or T'ing. November is cold with or w/o a dusting of snow and Christmas is usually full blown winter.

How was your first fall/winter holiday in Florida? Lonely, Depressing and odd due to the warm weather. My family was not here.

Did you miss your traditional holiday weather or embrace what FL has to offer? How about now? I miss traditional COLD holiday weather. Have a hard time getting in the Christmas spirit here when its hot

Did people come visit you or did you go home for the holidays? I try to go visit others up north....it helps

Do people decorate for Christmas with snowmen, penguins and blow up lawn santas or do they take a more tropical santa scene with a light up palm tree? People do both here but FL has some AWESOME holiday displays. Remember there are people here from all over the US and they bring their traditions with them. I personally think the lit palm trees are beautiful!

I think our first holiday (2012) could be hard being away from home as our kids are so young and use to what we do here. We are hoping to be back for Christmas but the other holidays will be spent in FL. I have spent Easter in FL many times and it wasn't any different than here just warmer and we hit the beach!

Old 10-08-2011, 04:53 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmama32 View Post

How was your first fall/winter holiday in Florida? It was great after living for 5 years in Central America it was nice to have some colder weather

Did you miss your traditional holiday weather or embrace what FL has to offer? How about now? You learn to embrace it, It can be really cold or really warm. Every year is different. I have seen it in the teens one year and in the 80s another. Like Florida Kash stated you can spend Thanksgiving by or in the pool. We use to smoke our turkey on the grill.

Do people decorate for Christmas with snowmen, penguins and blow up lawn santas or do they take a more tropical santa scene with a light up palm tree? You will find many ppl decorate their houses and leave the lights up all year long.. Yes a pet peeve of mine

I think our first holiday (2012) will be spent in FL. I have spent Easter in FL many times and it wasn't any different than here just warmer and we hit the beach!
Just enjoy it for what it is because next year will be different

Old 10-08-2011, 05:17 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,892,327 times
How was your first fall/winter holiday in Florida?Quite an experience , I loved the Xmas boat parade in Anna Maria Island. It was just amazing!

Did you miss your traditional holiday weather or embrace what FL has to offer? How about now?Every place I live I adapt to what the ppl in that place do. It is not different here.

This is home for me....Sometimes I go and see the grandkids, and then I hurry back.
Do people decorate for Christmas with snowmen, penguins and blow up lawn santas or do they take a more tropical santa scene with a light up palm tree?

I have seen a little of every type of decoration, but I love the Santa or the flamingo at the beach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay