Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:37 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,210,241 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I just moved from Chicago to Tampa Palms and am in desperate need of restaurant suggestions that aren't chains! The closer to Tampa Palms the better, but if we need to travel, then that's fine. What are the best of the following, in your opinion:
Indian
Greek
Italian
Pizza
BBQ
Mexican
Thanks!
Jessica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 08:34 AM

612 posts, read 2,770,048 times
I used to love the little Mexican place on the corner of 56th Street and Busch Blvd. We ate there every week. I think it's called Vallarta's or something close to that.

There was an awesome Thai restaurant on North Dale Mabry about 143rd Street on the left side as you are headed north. Can't remember the name but it's across from the Sprint store. Best Thai food of anywhere I have had!

Wings would be from Firehouse in Temple Terrace.

I know I gave you some you didn't ask for but those were some of my favorites and worth a try.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:31 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,348,672 times
My opinions in Tampa:

Indian - dont eat much Indian
Greek - Acropolis in Ybor City
Italian - Laughing Cat in Ybor City
Pizza - Eddie and Sam's downtown Tampa/Cappy's in Seminole Heights and South Tampa
BBQ - Jimbo's on Kennedy Blvd in South Tampa
Mexican - Algusto's on Kenedy Blvd near downtown Tampa

You may also get some suggestions for your particular area on chowhounds.com - Florida section

Old 08-22-2007, 06:34 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,559,889 times
Mexican - Miguels on Kennedy just east of Dale Mabry (downtown); Vallartas on N Dale Mabry between Erlich & Fletcher; Don Pablos on Waters just east of the toll road (yeah, I know, it's a chain, but it's awesome TexMex). The rest of the "Mexican" places I've tried around the area were more Spanish/Cuban (NOT the same thing).

Pizza - ABC and Olympic Pizza (owned by same people I believe). I've never had Chicago style pizza, but according to some clients from up north who live here, Windy City Pizza in Carrollwood is supposed to be as close to Chicago style as you can get around here. It's on Dale Mabry @ Fletcher/Village Dr.

BBQ - Hungry Harry's on Land O Lakes Blvd/Hwy 41 just north of Hwy 54; also Alex BBQ in Carrollwood (on W Village Drive in the Sweet Bay shopping center @ Erlich).

Totally unrelated - I tried BD's Mongolian BBQ in Oldsmar this past weekend - I do NOT recommend it, expensive and not that great.

Also totally unrelated but worth mentioning - The Tampa Pitcher Show on N Dale Mabry is a fun spot to catch movies. Food is so-so (pizza is decent), we usually eat at the sports bar next door (GOOD food) and then catch the movie with beer and popcorn.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:06 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,348,672 times
Found this link for ya:

Tampa Near USF - HELP!!!! - Florida - Chowhound

Old 08-22-2007, 11:40 PM

133 posts, read 536,281 times
BBQ - Hungry Harry's on Land O Lakes Blvd

Old 08-23-2007, 11:42 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,853,640 times
Greek Food- Marathon Grille on Highlands Lakes Plaza, Hwy 19 North. Best Greek I have had.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:08 PM

Thanks! Keep the suggestions coming! (making a list of places to try)

Old 08-23-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Thanks for finding this!

Old 08-23-2007, 07:26 PM

1,479 posts, read 5,064,887 times
There's not much in Tampa Palms, but if you make into downtown there is plenty.
Mexican: Estella's. There's one on David Island and one on Dale Mabry across from Britton Plaza.
Middle Easter: Byblos is great Lebanese food and ambience - on the corner of MacDill and Bay-to-Bay.
Pizza: Sally O'Neil's has gormet stuff like BBQ pizza and white pizza with ricotta. THE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay