Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:45 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
Remember that ERH's experience is in Polk county. I've never been to Polk county, but I live in St. Pete, and people here make fun of Polk county for being backwards.
Pasco isn't much different than Polk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 01:31 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravin4rv View Post
Thank you for the feedback.

I've visited Lakeland a few times over the last couple of years because one of my siblings lives there, but my wife and I did not care for it. It is still much like the Raleigh area and we would like to be closer to a city like Miami, Tampa, Orlanda which is closer to beaches although a 30-45 minute drive is not bad, night life, shopping, cultural diversity, corporate office parks, etc.

Because our kids are planning to go to FullSail we may be settling for the Winter Park area until they are completed with schooling and then we'll decide whether that is the place for us or move on.

We are not interested in purchasing real estate so renting is what we'll be looking for.
There is nothing about Lakeland that reminds me of Raleigh. Raleigh is slightly larger than Tampa, but cleaner and with a lot fewer trashy people. Also less crime.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:24 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
I think Florida is the perfect place for you and your family. You should move down.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:25 AM

371 posts, read 1,259,289 times
I love moving and trying new areas. I went from SoCal to Cary, NC ( suburb of Raleigh) and now to a suburb of Tampa. First, SoCal was by far my favorite...the weather, the lifestyle, the spiritual feel ( but not a lot of churches), accepting of various lifestyles. With that said, my view of NC- it was, well, fine. Nothing great, nothing horrible, but also nothing to write home to. I found the weather mediocre since it was either too hot, too chilly, or too buggy to enjoy my deck- ever! Fl- overall I will say it's just to hicky for me. Of course, like anywhere, there are pockets that feel trendy and professional, but overall I definitely feel that Fl stereotype. Especially on everyday things like shopping- seems like 90% have to finish that cigarette before going in to shop. And the dress and hairstyles, etc.- eeesh. Not the most attractive bunch. Certain areas are, as I said, but all too often I'm shocked here. And church is relatively important here, so if you're into that it's a fit. Lastly, the weather here- I love it. It is hot ( as if you don't know when u consider Fl)- but it's wonderful to live almost year round w/out the bulky winter clothes and sit out almost every night. Plus, I don't nearly have as many mosquitoes here- maybe b/c they spray? So the 'bug' factor was way worse in NC. And don't let people fool you into the 'change of season' thing. The trees do change slightly and the feel of your neighborhood and friends, shops, etc remind you the holidays are coming! I'm hoping to get back to San Diego - the best fit for me. However, there's nothing like trying a city for yourself!

Old 11-16-2011, 12:05 PM

42 posts, read 98,584 times
My family just moved from Winston-Salem NC to St. Pete a few weeks ago. I had been in W-S a long time and liked it. Loved the mountains nearby, so I do miss that already. We haven't been here long, but St. Pete seems like a decent place. We live near the downtown area and there is plenty to keep us entertained (myself, hubby, three-year old and dogs). We live in a neighborhood with older homes near a park, very walkable and family friendly, and the neighbors seem great. The area seems very friendly for cyclists also. There is a good farmers market nearby, access to local food if you are interested in that sort of thing. We have been pleased with the restaurant selection for our vegan diet, which was a plasant surprise. Love the Gulf beaches; very different than NC coast.

Bottom line-I wasn't thrilled about our move to FL (for hubby's job), but I think we chose a good place here and that we will be happy in St. Pete. And in the end, I do think home is where you make it!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:00 PM

6 posts, read 8,638 times
I've been following this thread as we may be moving from Raleigh to the Tampa area. Thanks to everyone for the feedback. BTW, born and raised in Winston, so hearing these comparisons is very helpful!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:54 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
I noticed that you posted about "rednecks" in one of the NC threads. All I can say is that if you think there are rednecks in Raleigh, don't expect to be "escaping" them in FL. You will be just around the corner from the Redneck Riviera, after all.

You have to understand that the redneck riviera is a very rual area as oppose to Tampa/St pete area. I have no clue about your rednecks in North Carolina, but the ones down here do not tend to be in the city.The redneck riviera is a very rural area nothing like the more popular beaches in the southern portion of the state. Also about the polk county thing the county it self is a huge county so opinions do vary and i agree that it is alot more conservative,ad closed minded then the tampa area, bit at the same time Polk county has had tremendous growth in the last 20 years almost 200,000 new resident. who come from mostly up north so it has changed alot from the pre 1990s era so you cant conclude that it is all like that anymore.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:45 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I noticed that you posted about "rednecks" in one of the NC threads. All I can say is that if you think there are rednecks in Raleigh, don't expect to be "escaping" them in FL. You will be just around the corner from the Redneck Riviera, after all.

You have to understand that the redneck riviera is a very rual area as oppose to Tampa/St pete area. I have no clue about your rednecks in North Carolina, but the ones down here do not tend to be in the city.The redneck riviera is a very rural area nothing like the more popular beaches in the southern portion of the state. Also about the polk county thing the county it self is a huge county so opinions do vary and i agree that it is alot more conservative,ad closed minded then the tampa area, bit at the same time Polk county has had tremendous growth in the last 20 years almost 200,000 new resident. who come from mostly up north so it has changed alot from the pre 1990s era so you cant conclude that it is all like that anymore.
St. Pete is not redneck at all, gtfo...

Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 AM

71 posts, read 131,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtytwopaws View Post
My family just moved from Winston-Salem NC to St. Pete a few weeks ago. I had been in W-S a long time and liked it. Loved the mountains nearby, so I do miss that already. We haven't been here long, but St. Pete seems like a decent place. We live near the downtown area and there is plenty to keep us entertained (myself, hubby, three-year old and dogs). We live in a neighborhood with older homes near a park, very walkable and family friendly, and the neighbors seem great. The area seems very friendly for cyclists also. There is a good farmers market nearby, access to local food if you are interested in that sort of thing. We have been pleased with the restaurant selection for our vegan diet, which was a plasant surprise. Love the Gulf beaches; very different than NC coast.

Bottom line-I wasn't thrilled about our move to FL (for hubby's job), but I think we chose a good place here and that we will be happy in St. Pete. And in the end, I do think home is where you make it!
Interesting. I live in South Tampa and may have the opportunity to move to W-S for work. Can you tell me a bit more about the comparison? There are plenty of things that bug me about Tampa, but I'm afraid that W-S would feel too dreary and isolated for me (2hrs to a decent airport!!). On the other hand, W-S seemed relatively friendly, social, and walkable in parts. Even might have more cultural/intellectual life than the Bay Area despite being a fraction of the size. What other major differences to you notice?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:15 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnichols2 View Post
Interesting. I live in South Tampa and may have the opportunity to move to W-S for work. Can you tell me a bit more about the comparison? There are plenty of things that bug me about Tampa, but I'm afraid that W-S would feel too dreary and isolated for me (2hrs to a decent airport!!). On the other hand, W-S seemed relatively friendly, social, and walkable in parts. Even might have more cultural/intellectual life than the Bay Area despite being a fraction of the size. What other major differences to you notice?
It's different...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay