U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:27 AM

15 posts, read 15,030 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering moving to Florida, particularly central area most likely Tampa / Clearwater / St. Petersburg area.

I'd like to hear from those that were either from Florida, moved to NC and then moved back to Florida OR anyone who has lived in NC and moved to Florida.

I'm interested in hearing their likes and dislikes, advantages/disadvantages, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 01:33 AM
ERH

1,310 posts, read 1,839,128 times
I was born/raised in Central FL, moved to NC in 1986, moved BACK to FL in 1990, then moved BACK to NC in 2003. What, specifically, do you want to know?

Old 10-09-2011, 07:58 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,112,203 times
I lived most of my life in south and north central Florida before moving to NC. Friends and parents still live in FL, but I'll likely never go back.

What are you looking for in a place to live, what don't you like about NC?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:17 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,009,641 times
I moved from NC to Tampa and would like to move back at some point. The beaches are nice in the bay area and it takes me 1/2 hour instead of 2-3 hours to reach them. If I can think of anything else I like about the area I'll let you know. Where do you live in NC?

Old 10-09-2011, 10:47 AM

268 posts, read 996,240 times
I grew up in NC and now that I am retired, I am moving to Sarasota County. I spent most of this year and part of 2010 down there to make sure it is where I want to be. It is.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:13 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,475,180 times
I have family and friends in WNC (Highlands/Franklin) and visit all the time. Although I have never lived there, I have spent plenty of time there.

Most people you will find moving the opposite direction.

Where in NC do you live?

Old 10-09-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I lived most of my life in south and north central Florida before moving to NC. Friends and parents still live in FL, but I'll likely never go back.

What are you looking for in a place to live, what don't you like about NC?
I for one am a hot weather person so Florida does not bother me at all. We have family and friends there whom we visit often and have spent considerable amount of time. We are considering the Clearwater / St. Petersburg area.

Not interested in purchasing a home at least not for a good long time so not concerned about taxes or property insurance.

We like being close to the coast, have general shopping area with pretty much everything in a 10 minute ride, medical, night life, bike riding along the coast, great restaurants especially seafood, etc. Florida is much more attractive to us as it has many metro areas throughout the state than NC does. Beaches are 1.5-2hrs from RTP area and they are overrated.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
I was born/raised in Central FL, moved to NC in 1986, moved BACK to FL in 1990, then moved BACK to NC in 2003. What, specifically, do you want to know?
Would like to know what the likes and dislike about both locations.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I have family and friends in WNC (Highlands/Franklin) and visit all the time. Although I have never lived there, I have spent plenty of time there.

Most people you will find moving the opposite direction.

Where in NC do you live?
I live in Wake County, Raleigh area.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:38 PM
ERH

1,310 posts, read 1,839,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnot4me View Post
Would like to know what the likes and dislike about both locations.
I used to complain mightily about the heat, but it gets pretty darn hot up here, too, so I don't think that's a valid excuse anymore. Raleigh-Durham has seen too many of those 100+ days-long heatwaves for my liking.

For me, frankly, it comes down to the people. I grew up in Polk County, which is "in between" the metro areas of Tampa and Orlando, so I can't compare apples to apples for you. Polk is a blue-collar county, to be sure, with no significantly large pockets (at least to my mind) of wealth or diversity.

When I go home to visit, I see that there is still very much a backwoods, closed-minded, non-collegial, undereducated, uncompromising mentality. The thread of racism and a general aversion to the "they're not from here" view towards outsiders (even visitors from the North, the dreaded "yankee") is very palpable. I see much more bleedover of this type of mindset towards the Gulf side (Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater) than I have seen as you move west into Orange and Seminole counties (Orlando and its many bedroom communities), where there tends to be more of a globally diverse (albeit transient) demographic.

It's not a folksy, genteel Southern type of environment, either...where you could almost forgive the natives for their long-bred beliefs because they're just too saccharinely southern to know better) -- it's just ignorance and an unwillingness to accept what's different, whether that be skin color or a broader view of the world (and tolerance) as a global community.

I would never, ever, ever raise a kid there. Both my kids were born there, but we brought them here for their upbringing. Not only because the higher education options are severely limited, but also because I did not want them growing up in a community where the degree of intolerance and racism is so prevalent. There's also no strong sense of charity or giving back to the community, or of neighborhoods rallying to help their own and complete strangers coming to someone's aid just because it's the right thing to do. If my child was diagnosed with a terminal illness, for example, I would only be able to rely on my immediate circle of family/friends for support; never would I expect (or even hope for) word of my plight to spread beyond that circle and cause people to be stirred to action. I guess it's just a whole "what's in it for me?" type of mentality.

There is so much more I could say, but hopefully you are getting the picture. As I said, the metro areas of Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater may be different when you're properly entrenched in them, but I have never witnessed that firsthand in my own interactions. I watch daily newscasts and read the newspapers for both RDU and Tampa/St. Pete/Orlando, so I feel I do a pretty good job (better than most?) of staying connected to what's going on in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay