U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 7,459 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived in both Tampa and Memphis and can tell me which they prefer?

I am currently in Memphis, Tn. I am unhappy with it and wish to raise my daughter elsewhere. About the only thing I like is the size of Memphis and believe Tampa is about the same. In Memphis there are drive bys, rapes, murders, robberies every night. There have been kids bringing guns to school- in one instance a student killed his principle.
Are happenings like this common in Tampa as well?

Are sexual predators common in Tampa? Should I be concerned for my daughter to walk to school?

Are alligators common? Again should I be concerned for my daughter to walk to school

How is the ocean in the Tampa bay compared to that of the gulf of Mexico?

Also, race is a major issue in Memphis. How is the racial tension between Hispanics and whites in Tampa and surrounding suburb cities?

Thanks for any help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 01:40 PM

I was looking over in Clearwater or citrus park. so I was wondering if there was any difference between the ocean in Tampa bay or on the gulf. I've only been to the ocean in California, and I know some beaches were orange, some had bigger wakes, some were prettier than others- didn't know if someone might differ the two sides for me. Again I am not talking about the Atlantic. I'm talking about living in the actual bay vs the gulf.
Thanks

Old 10-12-2011, 01:57 PM

Algia- I'm just askin questions about a place I am moving and have never been. I've only started researching. All I know is Ive heard of alligator attacks in past years and didn't know how common they actually were. And heard rumors that many sexual predators migrate there. I'm sorry I'm not a know-it-all like you. I don't appreciate your sarcasm and attitude. I would rather you not even bother posting thank you. And you can assume all you want, but I like to think I live in the nicest area of Memphis, however Memphis city schools are merging with the county schools, and that is my concern about staying here. Stats show Tampa is 30% family and the rest singles. Maybe it's not the best place to raise little kids, especially when the first person to respond to the first post Ive ever made is disrepectful and has nothing better to do but disgruntle and shoot down people on the Internet.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:59 PM

35,319 posts, read 44,607,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelee12-2-10 View Post
I was looking over in Clearwater or citrus park. so I was wondering if there was any difference between the ocean in Tampa bay or on the gulf. I've only been to the ocean in California, and I know some beaches were orange, some had bigger wakes, some were prettier than others- didn't know if someone might differ the two sides for me. Again I am not talking about the Atlantic. I'm talking about living in the actual bay vs the gulf.
Thanks
If you want miles of beaches they are all on the Gulf.
Tampa bay has a few tiny beaches but as a whole the bay is virtually beachless.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:06 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,190,253 times
There are no beaches on the Bay. Just canals with million dollar homes on the St Pete side, and Bay Shore Blvd on the Tampa side with another set of million dollar homes. No actual beach.

Clearwater beaches were voted #1 for several years. There is no orange sand here anywhere.

All the beaches on the Gulf coast are GORGEOUS.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Tampa from Memphis- Tampa questions!-_mg_8880.jpg  

Last edited by algia; 10-12-2011 at 02:20 PM..

Old 10-12-2011, 02:35 PM

4,555 posts, read 6,910,499 times
LeeLee, There is no racial tension in this area. There are persons of all races, all nationalities and they live by each other. Tampa has very old Cuban roots, so the influence of Hispanics is very large. And they are all very nice people.

Alligators are found in various water areas, but they mostly stay in their areas, and ppl are just careful when walking around this areas with their pets or children. It's not like you find alligators everywhere.

Living around any area that is waterfront, is more expensive than any other area. The areas around the bay have very nice houses as do the area around the beaches.

Some of the other regulars in this forum will, probably give you more polite,sound information.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:56 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,190,253 times
If you do a search just on this forum, you will find other posts related to "alligators".

Citrus Park is inland, and there is no water around it. Clearwater is no place for kids. It is VERY touristy and not in a good way IMO. Lots if snow birds and retirees. Schools are questionable.

Now please keep in mind that there is about a 40 minute drive from Citrus Park to Clearwater, and traffic is crazy that way. Whatever you do, keep the commute short.

Sorry for being sarcastic earlier. I live with the assumption that Americans know quite a bit considering all the tools available for finding information on the web or otherwise.

Quote:
Thanks

Old 10-13-2011, 11:33 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 850,910 times
Quote:
Thanks
Like someone else pointed out, there aren't many beaches on the bay. My favorite is at the end of 12th Ave NE in St. Pete. I've also noticed that, on nice beach days, it gets packed on the little strip of beach along Gandy just south/west of the bridge. I'm sure there are other popular beaches on the bay (and probably posts here about them). The bay beaches next to cities can be a little scuzzy, as you'd expect, but lots of people swim even there. The bay beaches are small, though, and the gulf beaches are the real prize -- miles of white powder beaches up and down the coast and generally warm, clear, calm water.

In terms of the the water itself, the bay is generally calmer and warmer than the gulf. But, unless there's a storm, there are no significant waves in either. If you're used to the Pacific Ocean along California, the gulf will seem more like a big swimming pool than the ocean. There's really no point bringing a boogie board or anything like that (though I do see lots of people bring them to the beach, look at the non-waves, and set them down...). Bring something to float on and your favorite cold beverage...

Also, bear in mind when you're asking neighborhood questions that Clearwater Beach (which is on the gulf) is not the same as Clearwater (which stretches from the intracoastal, near downtown Clearwater, to the bay, where it's called the "Countryside" portion of Clearwater). A lot of people mix up the names, like the poster who told you that Clearwater is "VERY touristy." Clearwater is not touristy, and most of it is not on the bay or the gulf. I do think Clearwater has some crappy spots, but most of it seems fine. Clearwater Beach is the most touristy beach community in Pinellas and comes with all the good and bad you'd expect in a super-touristy beach community. Not really sure which of those two you were considering.

Anyway, if you're in Citrus Park or Clearwater, and you want a beach day, you'll very likely pick a gulf beach over any bay beach. Citrus Park is out there, though; probably a good 45 minutes to Clearwater Beach or Honeymoon Island (which is the not-so-touristy beach just north of Clearwater Beach and probably where you'll go if you live in Citrus Park). But I'm not sure that Citrus Park is closer to a decent beach on the bay. If you wanted to go kayaking or fishing or do some other watersports, the bay would probably be your closest option. Lots of places to put in.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:46 PM

13,772 posts, read 35,125,012 times
There are alligators all over if there is water, even in Citrus Park. If you don't live on a retention pond or lake the chances of you seeing one is very unlikely.
I agree with others there are places on the bay where you can swim or launch a boat but the gulf is much prettier. You can live in Oldsmar and be close to the bay or you can live on Bayshore in Tampa and be right on the Bay. It is a huge body of water.
There are always ppl who are not happy with an area and are very vocal about it but they are not the norm around here.
Clearwater has some great little areas and as was stated above it is not touristy if you do not live on Clearwater Beach.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,658 times
Thank you for all the information. I too am leaving this racist city of Memphis for the Tampa Bay Area. Unfortunately I cant live on the gulf side of Tampa due to job location. I will be on the other side, around Valrico or Riverview. It is hard to move somewhere that you have never been! Does anyone have suggestions for a good place to live with three kids and average income? I am checking out brentwood hills, Panther Trace, and South Fork. Thanks for any help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or