Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 08:05 AM

78 posts, read 125,099 times

Advertisements

Ok so me and my gf are considering a move to Florida around March/April time frame. We are considering between Orland area or Tampa area (more so St Pete or Clearwater). She has a job where she can transfer to either area and I will be working at the airport so I am flexible on this decision as well. My question is what are some positives and negatives in the differences between the two areas when comparing? We will be coming from Northern VA right outside of DC so the traffic jams and winter's will not be missed at all. Any and all info helps and is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 09:16 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,677 times
Have lived in both, grew up in Clearwater. A job opportunity that I couldn't pass up had me in Orlando - but only for a year. They both have their good and bad features. I prefer being close to the Gulf, but that's just me. Both have good airports and good flight connections. Personally, I loved shopping in Winter Park and enjoyed some great restaurants in Orlando but again, I'm more of a beach/fishing person.

So, it really comes down to finding what feels good to you. You can't do that without making several trips. And if you picked one and didn't like it, it sounds like you'd have the ability to transfer to the other area.

I vote beach! I am not amused by amusement parks but some people are.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:01 AM

78 posts, read 125,099 times
Well we live not far outside of DC in Virginia so i think the biggest appeal to Florida is the weather. Plus the cost of living. Were tired of the cold and snow. So our first preference right now would be in the Tampa area closer to the beaches and fishing. But we figured if we broaden our area for work the better chance we have to make that transfer and we chose Orlando as a second option. We just feel that Tampa is a better fit for us overall for us but willing to sacrifice a year in Orlando (Oh how terrible it is to have to catch some Florida sunshine somewhere else in the state lol) to get to Tampa if need be. We were just curious of the pro's and con's of both, outside the obvious with Orlando (heavy tourism).

Old 10-15-2011, 10:37 PM

156 posts, read 434,022 times
I find the heat in the summer to be far worse in Orlando (no sea breezes) than in the Bay area and the winters are a little colder.

Orlando is a nice city, but it's the one large city in Florida that isn't on the water.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:04 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,979 times
I personally like Tampa better as Tampa seems more established and less "cookie cutter" than Orlando. Orlando is only Orlando because of Disney World, if something were to happen to DW, Orlando would fall apart. So Tampa has more of a diverse economy.

Another plus with Tampa for me is the city is closer to the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay