Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 AM

19 posts, read 40,897 times

Advertisements

hey everyone, moving back home to lakeland with wife and daughter to be closer to my dad. currently in south florida. i am looking at 2 different jobs right one. one in tampa and one is in wesley chapel. thats about 35-50 min from lakeland for either one. i dont want to spend too much on gas money driving my V8 dodge ram every day.. but friends and family is in lakeland where i think our support would be for baby sitters and family / friends dinners.

i know plant city is close but still a ways from lakeland for people to drive or us to drive for baby sitters or dinners, etc etc.

what should i do!!???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 10:30 AM

420 posts, read 864,057 times
If you want to stay in Lakeland, trade the V8 in for something that supports a daily drive to either Tampa or Wesley Chapel. That'll give you more money and make the drive a bit better.

Whynot move to Tampa or Wesley Chapel and make friends in the area? Of course it won't happen right away, but it shouldn't be too hard especially of the wife works or daughter is in school. Lakeland is easily within a "visiting" driving distance.

I wouldn't move to Plant City. There just isn't much there. Downtown Plant City is very quaint and "cozy", but for quality-of-life purposes for a family, it just doesn't seem all that appealing. Of course I've only visited a few times and maybe a current Plant City resident can fill you in more on that.

Have you looked at living in Valrico? It's a growing community with plenty of families out there. It's still a drive into Tampa or Wesley Chapel and the traffic can become problematic, but at least it's close to Lakeland and a family-oriented community.

I've heard that Lakeland is a nice place for a family and if you get a more economical car, it shouldn't be too bad there either. Either decision you make seems like you'll be putting in a lot of road miles and I hate taking my V-6 out of S. Tampa; can't imagine what I would feel like if I increased my gas expenses.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Ok, got a job in Tampa starting in 3 weeks. we are looking in Plant City and Lakeland. the problem will be the drive to and from work. depending on location i could drive 30 min to an hour each way. we are looking to move to Lakeland but if we find something in Plant City cutting the drive time in half, this may be the way to go.

looking for some feedback about Plant City

Old 11-01-2011, 10:24 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tha5150 View Post
Ok, got a job in Tampa starting in 3 weeks. we are looking in Plant City and Lakeland. the problem will be the drive to and from work. depending on location i could drive 30 min to an hour each way. we are looking to move to Lakeland but if we find something in Plant City cutting the drive time in half, this may be the way to go.

looking for some feedback about Plant City
Where in Tampa is your job? We used to live in Lakeland (south of downtown) and my hubby commuted to downtown Tampa for work. This was anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. Plant City will be a lot closer, and will probably be within your commute time, but it is kind of small and rural, you will have to pretty much commute to Tampa or Lakeland for fun and shopping.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:54 AM

chic, thanks for the response.

job is i4 / 295 so thats pretty much on track with what you said. and your right about the commute to "hang out" and not too sure i want that but the longer i think of it, i get more and more confused.

short story is that my father isnt doing so well and i want to be there for him if he needs things. cheaper to live vs Boca Raton where i am now and more family oriented for raising kids (central florida as a whole). living in Lakeland for my wife to meet some of my friends and more of her own and easier for my dad vs Plant City to save 20 min of driving time each way for work.. i am SO CONFUSED

Old 11-01-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
chic, thanks for the response.

job is i4 / 295 so thats pretty much on track with what you said. and your right about the commute to "hang out" and not too sure i want that but the longer i think of it, i get more and more confused.

short story is that my father isnt doing so well and i want to be there for him if he needs things. cheaper to live vs Boca Raton where i am now and more family oriented for raising kids (central florida as a whole). living in Lakeland for my wife to meet some of my friends and more of her own and easier for my dad vs Plant City to save 20 min of driving time each way for work.. i am SO CONFUSED
Well, for what it's worth, sounds like you would be better off to commute a bit further and just live in Lakeland, since this is better for your whole family. The commute to Lakeland won't be that bad, it's just a tradeoff you will have to make. We thought Lakeland was a pretty nice little city, lots of nice neighborhoods, especially on the south side. Good luck!

Old 11-01-2011, 12:17 PM

anything bad to say about Plant City though? yes i want to move to Lakeland but if we find a nice place for good price out there to rent, it might be the decision. just dont want to move to a place i "might not fit in" if you know what i mean.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
anything bad to say about Plant City though? yes i want to move to Lakeland but if we find a nice place for good price out there to rent, it might be the decision. just dont want to move to a place i "might not fit in" if you know what i mean.
I really don't know what you mean. Plant City is small and rural, and I personally don't care for it, but that doesn't mean you won't. You will probably have to visit for yourself and see if you like it.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:40 PM

my thoughts are that you cant "drive through somewhere and get lunch" to find out if you want to move there.

i guess i am asking that would a 30-35 married couple with a kid or 2 enjoy the town.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:00 AM

420 posts, read 864,057 times
It sounds like you want someone to say, "Hey! Plant City is great! You'll love it here" when no one really wants to say that. There is nothing in Plant City aside from their nice and quaint downtown. Move to Lakeland and deal with the drive. It'll be better for your family and for quality-of-life. Trade in your gas guzzler for an economical car and the differences will become negligable.

I wouldn't move to Plant City at all. Visit for the Strawberry festival? Sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay