Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 02:12 PM

83 posts, read 141,393 times

Advertisements

Please help...
We recently bought a townhome on Harbour island, and I am having some regrets. My big concern is this Horrible smell.... It is most pronounced in the morning, this diesel, acrid smell... Is this something from the port? The cruise ships going past? The smokestacks? It has been so strong, sometimes it makes me cough, and I am young with no lung problems... I can't imagine it's healthy. It's not there all day, and not even every morning, maybe 60-70% of early mornings, often gone by 9 or 10. Occasionally I do smell it durin the day. But it really makes my toes curl when I smell it, an I worry about the lung health of my kids. Anyone know this smell? What should I do? Has the EPA ever been notified?

This is NOT a rotten egg, low tide smell, that doesn't bug me. This is a very industrial engine smell.

I haven't been able to find anything on line about this.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 03:08 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,087 times
I havent ever smelled it although I dont go to harbour island muc, usually davis islands. I usually just smell the terrible low tide smell, GROSS.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:11 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,548 times
well it's right next to a major shipping port, so i'm sure the countless diesel engines coming and going through there play a part in the stench.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:59 PM

26 posts, read 65,004 times
I live on Harbour Island and haven't noticed any distinct diesel smells. I guess if you're right off the channel near the port it's possible. I have some friends that live in Island Walk/Island Place and never heard them say anything about it. I could ask them.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:24 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Look to the East. You see that big port? That's what it is... didnt you see that before you bought your place? Shame on you if you didnt think that living next to the second largest port in the state would not have drawbacks...

Also, in case you didnt know, harbor island itself was once a phosphate terminal, the entire island was. Another smell is the flour mill just to the North by the Ice Palace and Channelside. It was once a toxic wasteland, and if I was a betting man, I bet that stuff is still down there.

I work downtown and smell it. It's not bad all the time, but I wouldnt live there...

Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 PM

272 posts, read 606,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Shame on you if you didnt think that living next to the second largest port in the state would not have drawbacks...

Is this type of post really useful?

I've never smelled what the OP is describing down there however.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Homes View Post
Is this type of post really useful?

I've never smelled what the OP is describing down there however.
Might be a heads up to potential buyers in the op's specific area.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:48 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Might be a heads up to potential buyers in the op's specific area.
I think the poster meant the general nastiness of "Shame on you" comment. The OP is obviously upset after buying in a nice area and being subject to the possible smell of fuel. There really isn't any reason to lecture anybody who is already upset or in a predicament, it's childish and unproductive. It's like lecturing somebody on their diet after they ask advice on health issues they may be having.

This is the first complaint I've ever heard about that area in regards to odors though. Sorry to hear the OP is having a difficult time.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:23 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,212 times
You are lucky that you weren't around when TECO would infrequently fire up the (now dismantled) Hookers Point power plant right across the channel. It would belch soot onto your car.

I used to live on Harbour Island and I definitely agree that the air can get a bit funky when the big ships are coming through the channel. You are not imagining it.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:29 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,087 times
Those things are burning so much fuel, im not surprised you can smell it. Its really a pretty industrial area thats all around the island there. Kind of dumb to have such a nice, high end place there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay