U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,834 times

Advertisements

We have a 7 year old girl and might be relocating to Tampa. I am looking to go to grad school at Southern Univ in Tampa. I would be getting a stipend as a TA and also using my G.I. bill from the military, pretty much around $35k per year total and also some student loans, can't get around student loans We currently own a house here in WV and will sell it.
We would like to rent in Tampa as close to the Univ as possible and use public transportation, like a 25-40 min commute. Renting would be hard because we have a large dog and two cats. Are there reasonable rental homes near the Univ area, we would tolerate being near students? We pay $860 for mortgage, so the rent close to that would be nice even if it is smaller footage, it's just temporary until I'm done in two years. Our main priority is location, public transportation, and a decent public K-12 school. If we can't afford to be within the 25-40 min commute then it will be on to California instead, the trend is we want warm weather.
Don't know if the rental market is good for the renters or landlords with the devastating housing market. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 05:29 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,482,012 times
Southern University? Never heard of it... you sure you got the right city?

Old 10-31-2011, 07:41 PM

420 posts, read 781,337 times
I think you're talking about South University. I'd be hesitant about moving with a family for a graduate program at a for-profit university. I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think that school is reputable at all. For an out-of-state student, I would look at University of Tampa for graduate programs in my opinion.

As far as the area where the South University "campus" is located, it''s not the best location but if you're trying to stay in the $900 ballpark, your options are severely limited for a family the size that you have. Is your partner working?

Let me give you some advice- do not make huge decisions for these scam-schools. Have you done your due diligence on the institutions? You're talking about the livelihood of your family and your future. Don't make tempting decisions to be in the warm weather.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:53 PM

Oh, THAT place. Yea, I would not spend a dime on education there. The "school" has gone though several name changes, and the "campus" is an old office building. The neighborhood around it (west tampa) isnt the best. I would look at other education options if you want to move here like the University of Tampa or University of South Florida, both are accredited and actually well respected schools.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,834 times
Sorry all, I meant University of South Florida. Keep forgetting to be specific, like in Ohio there is "The Ohio State University" and "Ohio University", they are both different and the residents get offended easily if you mix it up .
My wife doesn't work so we can raise our daughter and the weird kicker is that if she worked I wouldn't qualify for the financial aid, basically I'm going into public health for the gov't and they offer loan forgiveness too.
Thanks for the inputs.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:56 AM

420 posts, read 781,337 times
Well, USF and South University are huge differences. I sure hope you know what you're doing because I've never heard of Ohio State being referred to as "Northern University."

As for the area around USF, that budget will put you a bad neighborhood. If you search the posts here, you'll see a lot about the area surrounding USF about it being the ghetto. Some of is true, some isn't, but you may want to do your research. Maybe an apartment complex in Brandon will meet your driving requirements as well as provide a better family-atmosphere. Still un-doable with that price range and don't even think about CA unless you're wanting to significantly break that range.

Either take out more aid for living purposes or think about the wife working. It's hard to live comfortably on a 1 person student-income; can't imagine what it'd be like with a family.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:06 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,980,251 times
New Tampa or Lutz for USF. I'd hesitate to buy if you plan on being here for short term - sellers are having a hard time unloading their homes right now in this market. Interesting program you're studying, as an ex-career Army nurse, that sounds like a challenging program to dive into - kind of jealous. Thanks for your service.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:51 AM

13,772 posts, read 35,138,069 times
You can find an apt in that range however public transportation is going to be the biggest challenge. I don't know if there are buses in this area, but these apts are very nice and the schools are good. I know my stepson rides a bus from Lutz to S. Tampa so it is available at least in some parts.
Lake Carlton Arms Apartments, 17701 Lake Carlton Drive Lutz, FL - Apartments for Rent on ApartmentGuide.com | Lutz Florida | 11356

Old 11-04-2011, 07:01 AM

108 posts, read 280,842 times
Call me crazy, but what's wrong with the area just north of the campus, i.e. north of Fletcher, zip code 33613? I was driving around there the other day and saw some nice new condo buildings. Looks pretty safe. A lot of students seem to be living there. Now the area just south of the campus is quite another story...

Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 AM

Oh, USF, thats fine... that's a respected, accredited school.

The area all around the campus is known as "Suitcase City". It's full of vagrants, drug addicts, ghettoes, pain clinics section 8 housing, etc. My company HAD a couple offices in the area and we closed them because we were tired of them being broken into and robbed. It's definetly not an area to live with a family.

Depending how far North you go, it gets better, becomes part of New Tampa. Some of those condos you see are retiree condos or you cant live in or student dorms, do you want to live in a DORM with a family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or