Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 12:14 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

You've covered pretty much everything! next time go to Miami, and then Key West...

Florida is great in small increments! If you're used to "STUFF"...it gets boring pretty fast. BTW last year temps in Tampa were in the 28th's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I don't care what anybody says, the greater Tampa Bay area is fabulous.

We just finished a three week stay, enjoyed a number of wonderful restaurants, watched the sun set over the gulf about 15 times, swam every day, ran up to Orlando for a fun weekend...and the weather was near ideal.

Part way home tonight, it will get to 32 degrees at Atlanta and who knows what when we get all the way North.

Last edited by Keeper; 11-14-2011 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: chat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 12:36 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
I don't care what anybody says, the greater Tampa Bay area is fabulous.

We just finished a three week stay, enjoyed a number of wonderful restaurants, watched the sun set over the gulf about 15 times, swam every day, ran up to Orlando for a fun weekend...and the weather was near ideal.

Part way home tonight, it will get to 32 degrees at Atlanta and who knows what when we get all the way North.
I'm glad you enjoyed your time here marco. Yes, I agree, THE GREATER TAMPA BAY AREA is great! Folks, did you notice he said TAMPA BAY AREA not Tampa? He is including a lot of places. It's weird how people will post such a great positive post, only to be followed by a bunch of sourpuss ones.

Marco, hope you keep enjoying yourself here. My husband and I tell each other every day how lucky we are to live here in beautiful Sarasota.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:39 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
For the OP, I am happy that you like it..

I will say this. Living here is a paradise if you like Florida-like and can afford it. Many people have a bad taste in their mouth because really you get to be paid crappy salary and still have expense like north. I don't blame them.

Personally, I love it here and I could go anywhere in the world if you pay me what I get here. For a change I wanted to go to D.C. and they couldn't pay me what I get here adjusted for the cost of living. So, yeah it is paradise for me...still.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:48 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I agree. I think a lot of people relocated expecting to find the higher salaries they were paid else where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
For the OP, I am happy that you like it..

I will say this. Living here is a paradise if you like Florida-like and can afford it. Many people have a bad taste in their mouth because really you get to be paid crappy salary and still have expense like north. I don't blame them.

Personally, I love it here and I could go anywhere in the world if you pay me what I get here. For a change I wanted to go to D.C. and they couldn't pay me what I get here adjusted for the cost of living. So, yeah it is paradise for me...still.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:36 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
When you don't have to work, clean up after yourself, eat out all the time, drink like a fool, and are able to spend far more money per day than you usually do, anyplace can be paradise. You won't be living like that if you move here, unless you're wealthy. That's why it's called a vacation. Tampa was your best choice?
Alf, User8 and others: I WAS working during this three week trip, every business day, 8 hours. I have to work, but for weeks at a time I can work from anywhere. I clean up after myself, or the condo would turn into a pit. I spend about the same money when we are in the Tampa Bay area as back home. For the past two years we have spent 15-18 weeks per year in FLA, aiming for 21-25 weeks in 2012. And yes, those August and September stretches with highs in the 90's every day--we were in FLA and LOVED IT.

Tilli, SpringHillian, Gorays, kbrkr, thanks for understanding what I'm talking about. Gypsychic, you picked up on the diff between Tampa Bay area and Tampa--kudos to you.

When I can have morning coffee before work by the water, watching the crabs work the beach, the fish jump and the birds fish; swim laps in the pool at noon; work all afternoon and then watch the sunset over the gulf...to each his own, but this is as close to perfect as I can get right now.

I understand some people face ugly commutes, or have trouble paying their bills, or can't find time to enjoy the amenities due to life's pressures...none of those apply to me at this point in my life. For where I am and who I am, my spot in FLA might as well be paradise. If it isn't for you, I'm sorry.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:28 PM

149 posts, read 259,742 times
Quote:
When I can have morning coffee before work by the water, watching the crabs work the beach, the fish jump and the birds fish; swim laps in the pool at noon; work all afternoon and then watch the sunset over the gulf...to each his own, but this is as close to perfect as I can get right now.
Exactly, my thought too!

Old 11-13-2011, 09:04 AM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times
To the OP.....glad you loved it. I do too. I've lived all over Florida (Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Jupiter, Orlando, Tallahassee) and Tampa Bay is my favorite area...especially right now...perfect weather and the snowbirds aren't here yet (snowbirds, I love you all, but when you come, the traffic doubles and the restaurants are full....).

Old 11-13-2011, 10:56 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
This is perfect weather now...
One more reason to love TB area!

Old 11-14-2011, 06:47 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
There is good and bad about every place. What is wonderful for one person may not be so for you. It is HOT in Tampa but the fall/winter are very nice. Don't come expecting it to be like where you use to live because it won't be.

There was one member who suffered with depression from too much sun. FL definitely was not the place for them.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Glad you enjoyed your visit Marco. We have been here for 16 months now and are still enjoying it.

This weekend we setup the fire pit and enjoyed a fire into the wee hours of the night and the kids made "tents" with blankets and towels in the pool enclosure and slept for a few hour before we dragged them in. Enjoyed my neighbor's daughter's birthday party across the street. They had a big jumper, crafts and food. All outside.... in November... in the sun.... without snow... I was in shorts. Not bad for November.

MIL is coming for Thanksgiving from Alaska. Although now we have lived here for awhile and find anything below 80's as a bit chilly I'm positive she'll be out in the hammock getting a tan as long as the temps are above 75.

I just need a dang pool heater and I'll be set. Until then, I'll just have to make due with the hot tub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay