Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 19,391 times

Advertisements

There are some great home in my sub Lakes of Cristina, not a huge sub nice quiet close to schools, if you have kids check out he Hillsborough Schools web site also! The sub is at Boyette and Balm Riverview several other subs close to here are nice such s Rivercrest easy to get to 75 and the Crosstown and shopping!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 09:25 AM

74 posts, read 374,158 times
I'm former military myself, will echo the comments about Brandon/Riverview/Varico area - you get the impression that most of the bases population resides around here. I did actually see some stats a while ago from the base admin, and I think it is truly the case. Big reason for it is the easy access access to the base via the Crosstown Expressway - dumps you right off at Gandy blvd then you are not long to the base at all. If you work military hours (as I remember them)! - Chances are you might start a bit early, finish a bit early - so you can often beat out the rush hour and without traffic the Xtown is easy and quick. You will rack up tolls though.

The trouble with the mentioned Fish Hawk is that it's a long way out of Riverview. The road is being widened at the minute, but it'll take a long time and the traffic crawls along it. But, there are plenty of neighborhoods other than Fish Hawk, many new ones and have all recently dropped in price. Definately a good time to be buying. Some rental bargains too left by the investors who are struggling to sell.

Although its a nice and upcoming area, the only trouble with Brandon/Riverview is that it is definately anywheresville USA. Bigbox stores and chain restaurants rule. It's following the nationwide pattern where there is room to build - throw up houses, throw up stores, throw up restaurants......repeat. Still, good value for money and a quick hop into Tampa. You are also well placed for trips to Orlando and Sarasota/Bradenton.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,610 times
Default New Community -15 Minute Commute Drive to MacDill

I would suggest living in St Petersburg in the Portofino and Venetian Bay area. This is a new community with 3, 4 and 5 bedroom homes with a community pool and jacuzzi. There are approximately 125 homes in this single family and town home community. The neighborhood is great and the neighboring schools are rated very high. The drive to MacDill AFB is a short 15 minute commute and picturesque. It is also close to Interstate 75, and 15 minutes from the Airport, downtown St Pete and even downtown Tampa. I will be happy to assist you infinding your home. There are homes for rent or sale from $1700 to $4000 monthly rent. Email: stpetevj@tampabay.rr.com. I love St Petersburg!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:23 PM

76 posts, read 330,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchiners View Post
Hey everyone ~
My family will be moving to the Tampa area (he'll be stationed at MacDill) .. and we're trying to figure out the best place for our family to live. We're moving to Tampa from Hawaii - and won't be able to make a trip out there before the move in December. I've looked into Fishhawk - but heard the commute to MacDill is long. Anyone do the commute? I'm also interested in Westchase, but would like to find more info on the community. Would love something comparable to Fishhawk, but a little closer. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Hey, for a 12-pack of what used to be Pacific Golden Ale, by the Kona Brewing Company, I'll find you exactly what you want. I wish they sold that stuff stateside. Love beer from the company!! Mmmmm. Beer.

P.S. I live in Westchase and can fill you in. Moderator cut: ..

Last edited by Keeper; 04-29-2008 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: no DM messages allowed

Old 06-10-2008, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 5,559 times
Default Brandon/Riverview area

The Brandon and Riverview area are terrific for commuting to MacDill Air Force base due to the close proximity to the Expressway that ends at MacDill. There are some terrific new home communities in both areas that are very affordable. Now is a terrific time to buy!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:28 PM

126 posts, read 536,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchiners View Post
Hey everyone ~
My family will be moving to the Tampa area (he'll be stationed at MacDill) .. and we're trying to figure out the best place for our family to live. We're moving to Tampa from Hawaii - and won't be able to make a trip out there before the move in December. I've looked into Fishhawk - but heard the commute to MacDill is long. Anyone do the commute? I'm also interested in Westchase, but would like to find more info on the community. Would love something comparable to Fishhawk, but a little closer. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Mitchiners - My husband was also stationed at MacDill, and we moved to Valrico 12 years ago. (zips 33596/33594) When we moved to our street, just about every third house was a military family, so we felt right at home. He has since retired, but we're still very happy here. He still drives to MacDill every day, and his commute is 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the time of day. There are several buses that go to MacDill as well, which might make the trip easier. The fare is free for active duty military and take them right to CENTCOM and SOCOM headquarters.

FishHawk is another beautiful area with many military and professional families. Their CCD/homeowner fees are high, so make sure you look into that. But they also have a lot of amenities for families. I would say the commute from FishHawk is about 45 minutes to an hour. Once construction is complete on the main road out of the area it might get quicker.

We live in a neighborhood that has good schools and low CCD/homeowner fees. The Brandon/Valrico area would be a great fit since so many (I think more than 50%) of military families live in this area. There is a lot of support in this area for military families - MacDill has a family resource center and clinic in Brandon. The churches have a lot of military families, so this is another strong center of support.

Have you contacted the Family Resource Center at MacDill? They usually have a long list of homes for rent or sale.

If you have any questions about this area, feel free to send me a private message or ask in the forum.

Good luck!!

Old 10-11-2013, 12:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,869 times
Default house hunting

My husband will be at MacDill as well. Moving from GA, but he is a civilian personnel. Any suggestions on nice areas and neighborhoods. We are also looking for a short commute.Have not been in this location since the late 80's. Guess we are in for a shock. Thanks everyone!

Old 10-11-2013, 07:40 AM

76 posts, read 330,421 times
Smile Help is here

Hi Laura,

Having lived in GA myself before moving to Tampa, I can offer you some valuable insight on locations.

I'm also a Realtor and my services are free to you as a Buyer. Contact me offline at Casey@TBhousehunters.com for help.

Thanks,
Casey

Old 10-11-2013, 09:05 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,728,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organization View Post
My husband will be at MacDill as well. Moving from GA, but he is a civilian personnel. Any suggestions on nice areas and neighborhoods. We are also looking for a short commute.Have not been in this location since the late 80's. Guess we are in for a shock. Thanks everyone!
You might want to start your own thread and post your price range and things you're looking for in a neighborhood. Its hard to just say what's good without any sort of helpful info.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:41 AM

25 posts, read 89,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
There are military living in FishHawk that make the commute. I think that there is a bus that picks up in FishHawk and goes directly to the base. You might also want to look in the Valrico area - River Hills, Twin Lakes and Bloomingdale. Those areas aren't quite so far out. Tons of military and families there. Try militarybyowner dot com - for rentals. You'll pay more for a house in FishHawk and have CDD fees.

The drive will be 35-45 minutes and you'll want to use the Selmon toll road. There is a MacDill clinic by the mall in Brandon. If you get impaneled there, you won't have to drive out to the base hospital. The reality is that you'll have to commute unless you have the money to live in south Tampa.
Hi!

We're getting ready to move FROM tampa, and while I was researching our new area, I thought I'd stop by and maybe answer some of the same questions I had when we were PCSing here.

We stayed away from Fishhawk. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but the HOA is really out of control with what they expect you to do. Everything has to be approved... Down to the color of the mulch you put in your flower beds. We moved to Valrico, where my kids go to the same schools and we're 10 minutes from there if you really need to go there for something. But be prepared, a lot of the residents have a "you're either one of us, or you're NOT" attitude in Fishhawk. I'm glad we chose not to live there, as I'm far removed from high school. We chose Twin Lakes, but River Hills or Lithia Ridge are very nice and normal too.

In Bloomingdale, or at Fishhawk, you can take the express bus straight to macdill. It's not that much quicker, but it's not having to deal with traffic. In mapquest before we got here, it said 25 miles or so, but it does take every bit of the hour to get to, or from the base. You don't have to take the Selman, but it's quicker. It also costs about $5 per day round trip. And base parking is a nightmare, so my husband would rather take the bus instead of deal with the parking there.

We really like it here... would it be nice to be closer sure... But my kids have done well here and my family has thrived, so it's fine. And other posters are right, about 1/2 the neighborhoods do seem about 1/2 military.

Hope this helps!
Shawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay