Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 07:16 PM

10 posts, read 56,860 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I are new to the Tampa Bay area and know virtually nothing about the area. We're finding things out as we go along. A family member that helped move us down here has dropped us like a sack of potatoes and we're left to figure things out on our own.

In general, we're looking for programs that will help out single and disabled moms. We're also looking for things such as:

*Angel trees (or something similar) for my siblings to go onto,

*Affordable, safe, clean housing that accepts Section 8 or is a sliding scale (the house that the relative has us staying at is dirty, had a roach infestation at some point and it was not cleaned up, smells of urine in most rooms, and definitely was NOT move-in ready) My family and I are also not "typical Section 8" renters.

*Food pantries (we have tried to call 2 of them several times, but no one is answering), and

*Programs to help with various bills

Any kind of information anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Take care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 07:13 PM

239 posts, read 669,037 times
Sorry to hear about your situation. My husband works for an organization that does employment assistance for people with disabilites. I dont think they can help but he works closely with the State VR agency. Here in Florida it is run by the Departmetn of Education. The website is rehabworks.org. I would contact them for information.

Good luck

Old 11-23-2011, 02:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,023,267 times
With all those needs for you and your family was a move to Florida really a wise choice?, were you not some how set up in the place you came from?
As Florida is already tough enough,i couldnt imagine coming here with all your needs and thinking its going to be better than where you came from.

Best of luck..

Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 AM

17,466 posts, read 38,872,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With all those needs for you and your family was a move to Florida really a wise choice?, were you not some how set up in the place you came from?
As Florida is already tough enough,i couldnt imagine coming here with all your needs and thinking its going to be better than where you came from.

Best of luck..
I agree. That said, here are a few links:

Florida Low-Income Energy Programs - LIHEAP Clearinghouse

Florida Assistance Programs

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:05 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,637,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOnewplace View Post
Sorry to hear about your situation. My husband works for an organization that does employment assistance for people with disabilites. I dont think they can help but he works closely with the State VR agency. Here in Florida it is run by the Departmetn of Education. The website is rehabworks.org. I would contact them for information.

Good luck
I just went through the VR program. They run like molasses, but they are a good resource. They will help you find work and may even get you clothes and necessities for job interviews. I believe, though not certain, they may help you get on SSI. I did not need that part, so I did not pay attention to what they were saying about it too closely.

I live in Tampa Palms in New Tampa area (Bruce B. Downs Blvd and south of I-75). There is an apartment complex that has some section 8 housing. Compton Place off of Compton Dr. They don't have elevators, but you may be okay with the ground floor apartments.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,415 times
I'm 8 months pregnant single mother . I live with some friends until my son is old enough to move out. I have recently went on maternity leave but unfortunately won't be able to get maternity leave income . and won't go back to work until may .till then I won't have any income coming in and I have no support from my baby dad. can anyone help find information about any single mother program .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: