Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 13,441 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating a move to Tampa at the end of December/early January to attend USF. I'd be transferring from UNC Asheville and my semester doesn't end until the 15th of December, so I won't be able to get down and look for a place to live until then. So I'd like to go armed with as much information as possible.

I'd like to be no more than 20 minutes from USF or downtown. Near(ish) to the beach would be a bonus, and being close to golf courses would be a great bonus.

I'll be moving with my girlfriend, who is a nurse, so near hospitals would be good (she does not have a job lined up yet so no specific hospital).

We're in our mid-20s, no kids. We do have a dog, so somewhere dog friendly is good. Both have cars so parking is a must.

We'd like to spend around $1,000 a month for rent but we're a little flexible. Ideally we'd get a single family home, but I realize that's not likely. Prefer to stay out of apartment buildings but it's not out of the question.

I'm happy to answer any other questions if you think it would help narrowing down some suggestions. Neither of us have ever visited Tampa before, so we're going in completely blind! Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 06:26 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
There are no good neighborhoods within 20 minutes of USF. Around the University is one of the "Red Zones".

Old 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
There are no good neighborhoods within 20 minutes of USF. Around the University is one of the "Red Zones".
How far would I need to get from the school to be in a good neighborhood? Can you recommend anything that fits the rest of our requirements?

Also, I should add I'm not looking to live in a "college neighborhood". We're well past that stage of life.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:35 PM

House, condo or Apartment?

Old 11-28-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
House, condo or Apartment?
In order of preference:

1) House
2) Condo
3) Apartment

But an apartment is fine.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncabulldog View Post
In order of preference:

1) House
2) Condo
3) Apartment

But an apartment is fine.
The Tampa Palms and New Tampa area isnt that far away (North), but traffic between it and USF is a nighmare in the morning. It's your geographically closest option.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:59 PM

71 posts, read 131,936 times
Quote:
There are no good neighborhoods within 20 minutes of USF.
well that's just wrong.

i make the commute from palma ceia to USF every day in 20-25 minutes each way, at 8:30am and 6pm.

hyde park would be a few minutes less.

downtown and channelside would be 15 minutes.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:04 PM

885 posts, read 1,552,205 times
How about Brandon?

Old 11-28-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
Why Tampa? Just curious.
A number of reasons. I narrowed it down to USF after considering a lot of schools. In no particular reason.

- I am Canadian. Year round warm/hot weather is a huge draw for me.
- USF has both a good undergrad and graduate program for my field. (my current school doesn't have a grad program which would necessitate another move anyway)
- Tampa and the surrounding area have a large number of hospitals (good career options for my girlfriend)
- Lots of good golf (i play about 150 rounds a year)
- Bucs, Lightning, Rays... lots of entertainment options
- Beaches
- Tampa seems to have all the things I'd look for in a city-- entertainment, food, sports, beaches, etc.
- It's a shortish drive from a lot of good destinations.
- It's within a day's drive of my girlfriend's family in Charlotte
- there's more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnichols2
well that's just wrong.

i make the commute from palma ceia to USF every day in 20-25 minutes each way, at 8:30am and 6pm.

hyde park would be a few minutes less.

downtown and channelside would be 15 minutes.
Thanks. How are rents in the areas you mentioned? How about demographics or type of neighborhoods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010
How about Brandon?
Honestly, I'm open to anywhere that's a reasonable commute to school and downtown.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:25 PM

885 posts, read 1,552,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncabulldog View Post

Honestly, I'm open to anywhere that's a reasonable commute to school and downtown.
You can rent a small single house with a yard and stuff for under $1,000 in Brandon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay