Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 09:07 AM

644 posts, read 1,484,082 times

Advertisements

Agree. A move is rated as one of life's major stressors, along with divorce or changing jobs. Some people will be elated with the change, and others will be miserable. Some dissatisfaction may be based on external factors which you didn't foresee or can't control, but in other cases it is more a state of mind and how well the individual handles change.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:16 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
^^that's so redneck. I mean it's great you're having a good time and all but it's just so...I don't know what other word to use but redneck.
That is what a large portion of us here do.

I got a big Ford truck, play loud country music, drink beer, hunt and fish, etc. And guess what, that is a big part of the culture where I live.

You should probably move out of the Southeast, or if you're planning on moving here, please don't.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:57 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
Quote:
^^that's so redneck. I mean it's great you're having a good time and all but it's just so...I don't know what other word to use but redneck.

I guess then it would be OK in your world if 6 or 7 men gathered in the clubhouse of their country club, drank martini's instead of beer, didnt smoke, only spoke about their wealth or status, ordered Hors d'oeuvre from the waiter and were talking about their college reunion. That wouldnt be redneck now would it?

Check and see what the definition of a redneck is. Or even go further and check out the origins of the word.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:23 AM

New Horizons, please tell me that you're a teenager, surely you're not an adult. I mean, I say silly and childish stuff too, but to say that drinking beer, going to the beach, and cookin up some steaks on the grill is "redneck"... I dont get it... thats just un-American of you to say that it's "redneck" to enjoy those things.

I enjoy these things, as does my wife. Are we lower than ppl from the Northeast or whatever it is you feel is so much better than the South?

Old 06-22-2014, 11:46 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
I'm from the northeast...we drank beer,went to the beach and grilled steaks...in the Hamptons...were we "rednecks"???

Old 06-22-2014, 12:36 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,141 times
What I thought it was a compliment to you people. The redneck lifestyle is something to be proud of I thought, just like this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI7Ghu1FpnQ

Old 06-22-2014, 12:42 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
Quote:
What I thought it was a compliment to you people. The redneck lifestyle is something to be proud of I thought, just like this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI7Ghu1FpnQ

You really should find out what it means as well as its origin.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,654 times
Default what issue was the mens health magazine covering story

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Sigh! Men's Health magazine says St. Petersburg is the country's saddest city. The sunshine city inched out Detroit — second on the dubious list — followed by Memphis, with Tampa just behind.

The magazine based its rankings on suicide rates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and unemployment rates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It also compiled information from a website called SimplyMap to determine the percentage of households using antidepressants and the number of people who say they feel sad all or most of the time.

"We put America on the therapist's couch and discovered that not only is St. Petersburg our Saddest City, but Florida in general seems to be a depressing place to live,'' the magazine said.

Happiest city on the list: Honolulu.

Magazine says St. Petersburg is country's saddest city; Tampa not far behind - St. Petersburg Times
I think saint Petersburg needs some improvement in areas of Employment, health, social services, education, security and technology

Old 06-22-2014, 01:24 PM

NewHorizons, please respond to post #125.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:08 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Exactly. You could say this about any city. I can't tell you how many of my friends moved to NYC expecting wealth and a glamor lifestyle. A lot of them have "shrinks" that they talk about on a regular basis, kind of like talking about your weekend plans. A lot of them are miserable and can't wait to get out because it didn't live up to their expectations. Then I have the friends who took it for what it was, and they are for the most part doing just fine.

I love St. Pete. I have lived by several major metro areas (DC, Boston, Philly) and I have to say this area is a tie with Northern VA as my favorite area. I didn't move to FL to get paradise, I moved here because the surrounding areas looked pleasant enough and I had a decent job. I decided to give myself 6 months - year to give the place a fair shot (I really believe you need at least 6 months to see if an area is a fit for you), and I love it here.

It has it's pros and cons, and unfortunately this isn't paradise. I have to work! Lol

However, I enjoy the things FL has to offer. Sure, I miss a lot about other areas, however, like ANY move I have made, the pros and cons and research were done.

Also, the "bad" areas of St. Pete are pretty easy to avoid. I have never been here, and knew nobody from the area. I researched websites (much like this one) before I chose my neighborhood. It's not that hard to do. I don't buy this excuse when the internet exists. The areas I frequent aren't in bad neighborhoods anyways, and common sense is required here. I don't jog at night. I didn't do that in most places I lived though. I lived in the suburbs of central NY, and that is the only place I might still run at night. Always tell someone my route and where I am.
What an excellent post - too bad everyone doesn't take the same approach as you do. You moved here for the right reasons, you had a decent job, and figured things looked pleasant enough. And you knew you have to give a place up to a year to see if it is a fit. Also, you did not have an unrealistic expectations, so at the end of the day it worked out probably better than you were expecting.

EVERYONE SHOULD READ AND FOLLOW THIS ADVICE ^^^!

And to the poster who said RoscoConkling was "redneck" for having a BBQ after the beach and drinking beer and wine, grilling burgers and prawns, etc all I got to say is WTF, dude? Nothing redneck about it. And even it if were, so what? I hate prissy attitudes like that. He is having a good time, enjoying and appreciating all the great things about living here. You should try it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay