Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,902 times

Advertisements

Just mean.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:50 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Idiotic article...

Yea, the Tampa metro area sucks so bad that these morons from up Nawth have stopped moving here, right. Oh wait...

Old 12-04-2011, 10:11 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Idiotic article...

Yea, the Tampa metro area sucks so bad that these morons from up Nawth have stopped moving here, right. Oh wait...
Moronic behavior is not confined to Northeners ...

Old 12-05-2011, 09:08 PM

272 posts, read 607,047 times
I read this a couple of days ago.

I'm going fishing out on the Bay this Saturday and I expect it to be downright dreadful! Stay away at all costs!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
It's a shame that a beautiful city like St. Petersburg gets so much (undeserved) bad press, but in a way it's kind of good because I like that this gem flies "under the radar" so to speak. It has retained a lot of it's vintage old Florida goodness that has long ago been demolished in other more "promoted" Florida cities. Even though we don't live there, it is one of our favorite cities, and one of the few other cities we would consider moving to if we wanted a change from Sarasota.

Anyone who would make a life change based on some worthless publication's arbitrary list deserves what they get, anyway. People need to learn to think for themselves. It's good to do research, but one needs to remember that just because they read something in print, it doesn't necessarily make it true.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:36 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
It gets bad press because crack towns all around downtown are eating it up. In order to get to the nicer areas you have to be closer to the water towards Tierra Verde, or Big Bayou...It is also a small town size wise, so when your bad demographics overpower your land mass, you will get bad press!

St. Pete's downtown is nice, but with a little area you can't get good statistics.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:09 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Frankly, I am glad the area is not being rated well. Any city that has been on Money Magazine's Top 10 to live have gone downhill in a hurry because of the number of people that move in. It changes the entire town and these town's end up falling off the list or at least lose the top spot.

I lived in Seattle at the turn of the century. Seattle had been on the top places to live for several years. More and more people moved in which put a strain on resources, infrastructure and employment. All the bad things of a city increased while the good parts decreased (traffic, crime, good jobs, taxes, etc).

The same thing happened to Ausitn. It was on top of this list for years and I believe it still is. It has become a concrete jungle and has lost much of it's appeal from 7 years ago.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:52 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Frankly, I am glad the area is not being rated well. Any city that has been on Money Magazine's Top 10 to live have gone downhill in a hurry because of the number of people that move in. It changes the entire town and these town's end up falling off the list or at least lose the top spot.

I lived in Seattle at the turn of the century. Seattle had been on the top places to live for several years. More and more people moved in which put a strain on resources, infrastructure and employment. All the bad things of a city increased while the good parts decreased (traffic, crime, good jobs, taxes, etc).

The same thing happened to Ausitn. It was on top of this list for years and I believe it still is. It has become a concrete jungle and has lost much of it's appeal from 7 years ago.
Yup, agreed. Exactly like what I was saying!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:35 PM

272 posts, read 607,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It's a shame that a beautiful city like St. Petersburg gets so much (undeserved) bad press, but in a way it's kind of good because I like that this gem flies "under the radar" so to speak. It has retained a lot of it's vintage old Florida goodness that has long ago been demolished in other more "promoted" Florida cities. Even though we don't live there, it is one of our favorite cities, and one of the few other cities we would consider moving to if we wanted a change from Sarasota.

Anyone who would make a life change based on some worthless publication's arbitrary list deserves what they get, anyway. People need to learn to think for themselves. It's good to do research, but one needs to remember that just because they read something in print, it doesn't necessarily make it true.
To be honest I don't think many people would take an article like that to heart. They collect different sets of data, and then draw a "conclusion" from it, which is silly. It would be different if they were simply doing a study on the odds of sitting in traffic, the odds of committing suicide, or the odds of a sunny day. That would would make more sense to me. To create some misery index based on all a variety of information gathered seems pretty thin at best.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:28 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
It gets bad press because crack towns all around downtown are eating it up. In order to get to the nicer areas you have to be closer to the water towards Tierra Verde, or Big Bayou...It is also a small town size wise, so when your bad demographics overpower your land mass, you will get bad press!

St. Pete's downtown is nice, but with a little area you can't get good statistics.
You and your cracktown paranoia. It's just not true. St. Pete isn't that small, either. It's the fourth-largest city in the state (population-wise) and bigger than Miami, Hialeah, Tallahassee, Port St. Lucie, Cape Coral, and Fort Lauderdale (area-wise). Those five cities are five of the state's ten largest cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay