Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 6,666 times

Advertisements

Does it take into consideration military families, and the men who come back with ptsd, and women who are depressed when their men are gone? That wouldn't be a fair standard, since there isn't a military base in Detroit. I live in Toledo, 45 minutes south of Detroit, and will be moving to Tampa. The only way I can see them knowing who's on anti-depressants is by doing a sample survey and asking people, thanks to the HMLA law. Which then, to me, usually invalidates the results that they find because either people may not answer those questions honestly. And, having been through Detroit many times, I find it difficult to believe that most of the residents would be willing to even take the survey or admit that they may have depression issues.

Pretty much, it's bad everywhere, right? I mean, you're not going to find a perfect city these days, and just because alot of depressed people are living in Tampa isn't a good reason to stay away. If you don't have depression as is, simply living in the city isn't going to give you it, there would be many other factors involved.

I researched crime rates for Toledo a few weeks ago. On a scale of 1 - 10 for violent crimes, the national average is 4. Toledo is rated at a 9. There are shootings atleast 5 days a week, and several weekends last year where there were a dozen or more. And it's only a medium-sized city. I grew up in an upper-middle class suburb, and from what I've read, I'm not scared of *most* of Tampa. There's always going to be crime. There's always going to be murder or rape, and there's always going to be many crimes that aren't reported. It's just all perspective I suppose. From my side of things, I think people should appreciate more about their cities in general, find the good things, and work to preserve it. Not simply let the economy control how we feel about our city and our neighborhoods. But, that's just my thoughts.

If I repeated something that was already discussed, I apologize. I read the first couple pages of comments and got impatient about giving my own opinion

Old 02-04-2012, 04:33 AM

450 posts, read 1,059,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Sigh! Men's Health magazine says St. Petersburg is the country's saddest city. The sunshine city inched out Detroit — second on the dubious list — followed by Memphis, with Tampa just behind.

The magazine based its rankings on suicide rates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and unemployment rates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It also compiled information from a website called SimplyMap to determine the percentage of households using antidepressants and the number of people who say they feel sad all or most of the time.

"We put America on the therapist's couch and discovered that not only is St. Petersburg our Saddest City, but Florida in general seems to be a depressing place to live,'' the magazine said.

Happiest city on the list: Honolulu.

Magazine says St. Petersburg is country's saddest city; Tampa not far behind - St. Petersburg Times
First, Forbes lists, now Men's Health, whatever, whoever, ad nauseum, another list based on questionable sources, conclusions, etc. How better to stimulate sales of magazines than to provoke meaningless controversies by ridiculous comparisons.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:37 AM

450 posts, read 1,059,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
LOL - totally agree! These lists are incredibly stupid. Maybe the list-makers have been reading city-data too much?
Agreed, a lot of whiners on city-data!

Old 04-11-2012, 05:51 PM

6 posts, read 18,094 times
to all of the residents that live in st pete. currently i bought a place down in cape coral fl 2 yrs ago. i love my 2004 home that i only paid 98,000 for and its on a double corner lot. the only thing i hate about cape coral is to me it is to boring nothing here compared to st pete at least there it doesnt take you 30-60 minutes to get to the beaches like down to fort myers beach. up there alot closer to busch gardens walt disney world.to me everytime i drive over the I275 bridge it puts a wow/ a smile on my face
also another thing i dislike about cape coral and lee cty is that if your a snow bird like i am you still have to pay for water and garbage regardless if your down here or not. and to me st pete is less congested for driving even in the rush hour in tampa is nothing like it is in fort myers or naples. i want to sell my house in cape coral and buy a place in st pete. i am a single 42 yr old man who is a snow bird from wis. if anyone could tell me if st pete is more for the younger more active adventurous person more than for a retired person. cape coral fort myers is all mainly retired people, theres no social life down here for single people, it took me 2 yrs to find that out. i dont think the taxes up there n st pete are as bad/ as high as they are here in lee cty. i thought my small town of 2,000 ppl in wisconsin was depressing living in cape coral is alot more. 1 thing about cape coral is that it made me realize how lucky i am to have a place on 10 acres out in the country in wis.ppl are 100% alot friendlier etc than down here. if anyone can give me any pointers about st pete.i appreciate it. but i just cant see myself not being alot happier up there than down here. i love having any kind of fun theme parks jet skiing beaches SHOPPING yes a man who loves shopping, travel sight seeing anything on the water trying out new great seafood restaurants playing bingo concerts and i have been a member of the moose lodge for 17 yrs. and i wont miss at all to have to drive 3 hrs to go to a concert in miami no way. are the utilty rates high in st pete?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 PM

6 posts, read 18,094 times
Default this is a crazy weird state

hi there am from wis.and thank god am still a snow bird cause i couldn't handle living down here full time being just single. the only way i would live down here full time would be if i could ever found a keeper down here to marry. its a very big culture shock down here compared to the much easier friendlier midwest living

Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 PM

794 posts, read 1,860,464 times
That's funny, because I find people from Wis, Oh, and the mid-west the most conservative, mis-trusting, and unfriendly people who live in the Tampa area.

This state is what you make of it. If you project friendliness, you will attract friendliness. It's really just that simple.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:58 PM

457 posts, read 693,757 times
It can't be any worse than Richmond,VA. I'm planning on making my move to Tampa in June! I'm so excited.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:02 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
It can't be any worse than Richmond,VA. I'm planning on making my move to Tampa in June! I'm so excited.
Anywhere (except maybe Detroit proper or Baltimore's west side) is better than Richmond.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:16 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Do People From Wisconsin Have Capital Letters On Their Computers?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:32 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
This state is what you make of it. If you project friendliness, you will attract friendliness. It's really just that simple.
You're correct about that. Just talking to people and opening up a conversation brings out friendly people around here-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay