Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:54 AM

181 posts, read 508,882 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in NW FL and am looking to relocate to the Tampa area to be near family. My work would be downtown in the E. Kennedy Blvd. area. I would be working in the area of 8-5:30 weekdays.

I would be looking for a 2+/2 townhome with an approx 30 minute commute time. I am open to renting or buying. Probably would rent to start so I can get an idea of the area I want to live in. I'

I am seeking a pretty, safe and professional neighborhood. Safety is VIP to me. I hate, hate, hate bumper to bumper traffic, so I'd like to be able to take different routes to get to work that would enable me to avoid too much traffic. I love good restaurants and shopping, but don't care about nightlife. Schools are also irrelevant to me.

I am willing to be north or south of Tampa - probably not west because I don't want to be too far from the ocean (I don't care about the beach but do want to be near enough to the bay). My family lives in Venice so I'd probably prefer south of Tampa to north, so I could visit on the weekends, but if north has better neighborhoods, that's fine.

Last edited by scarlett68; 12-04-2011 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Additions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 AM

420 posts, read 864,057 times
There are some gated townhome communities in south Tampa, specifically south of Gandy. The townhome communities are nice, but the surrounding areas are hit or miss. Not bad by any standard, just older and ran down. There are townhomes in other areas of S. Tampa but they tend to be a few buildings rather than entire communities.

Good luck in your search. Hopefully someone else has more information on townhome communities.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:58 AM

70 posts, read 177,547 times
The closest gated townhome communities to where you'll be working that are in nice areas are on Harbour Island although it doesn't give you multiple ways to work (but is fairly close).

Some of the communities there are The Plaza Harbour Island, Townhouses @ Harbour Bay, Harbor Homes (on Shipwatch Cir), Island Walk A and Island Place A.

The community that would probably give you most everything you'd want except it would probably be at the high end of the 30 minute commute would be Westchase. Very nice area with nice stores, etc. but is in the west part of Tampa close to the border with Pinellas County.

Sincerely,
Ron

Old 12-05-2011, 09:16 AM

How could I have forgotten about Harbour Island? You may find what you're looking for there. You could probably even walk to work.

Have you considered a high-rise downtown? Perhaps rent for a year while you consider buying options?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:40 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. I have thought of renting. That's probably what I would do. So harbour island is safe? What kind of prices are there for rent and to own?

Old 12-05-2011, 12:38 PM

Currently I only see 3 townhouses for rent on Harbour Island, 2 of them in the complexes I mentioned. The prices range from $1650 for a 2 bed 2 bath with 1183 sq. ft. to $2495 for a 3 bed 2 1/2 bath with 1653 sq. ft.

There are 6 for sale with prices from $175,000 for a 3 bed 2 bath 1481 sq. ft. townhouse in Island Walk to $685,000 for a 2 bed 2 1/2 bath 2450 sq. ft. townhouse in The Plaza Harbour Island. Least expensive complexes are Island Walk and Island Place but they are also the smallest units.

Sincerely,
Ron

Old 12-05-2011, 02:54 PM

Thanks for your help. Is it safe on Harbour Island? Are some of those communities safer than others? Are some nice than others? Do any have views?

Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 AM

Harbour Island is as safe as you're going to get.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:39 AM

Harbour Island is considered one of the safer areas of Tampa. Of the different communities, the ones in the lower price range will not be as nice as the others nor have as many amenities. I would say that the Plaza, Townhouses @ Harbour Bay and Harbor Homes would be the nicest with the Plaza being the best - highrise built in 2006 with valet and concierge services, pool, fitness center, etc. but then that is the most expensive one too.

Sincerely,
Ron

Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
I used to recommend Harbour Island for downtown living, before I read the following experience from a recent buyer. It's still a safe place, however you might want to make sure you choose down-wind if that's even an option. It's a darned shame that the $$ brought into Port Tampa trumps the quality of life for those living there. Maybe something is being done; IDK. Thought you'd want to know in advance of moving there --> //www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...own-smell.html

Last edited by TampaKaren; 12-06-2011 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay