U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:17 PM

72 posts, read 167,744 times

Advertisements

I am going to be in Tampa december 16-18 staying at the hyatt regency downtown. My question is what is there to do as far as nightlife goes within walking distance of the hotel. Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,731,968 times
Check out The Hub. It's a dive bar and full of women . If not, the channelside district is nearby, you can walk it...

Last edited by Keeper; 12-06-2011 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: please that comment is not necessary

Old 12-05-2011, 08:54 PM

817 posts, read 2,094,615 times
Channelside.

You can also get to Ybor City via the trolley car.

There are some bars on Harbour Island as well that you could get to.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:55 PM

272 posts, read 563,379 times
I don't know about these days, but it used to be that if you ordered a glass of water at "The Hub" it was to put your teeth in.

Strong drinks though, think "jet fuel."

Old 12-05-2011, 09:05 PM

272 posts, read 563,379 times
All I recall (vaguely) was that the drinks were insanely strong and the place was nasty (especially the bathroom.) But the Hub has since moved I believe.

Last edited by Sunscape; 12-06-2011 at 04:49 AM..

Old 12-06-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Homes View Post
All I recall (vaguely) was that the drinks were insanely strong and the place was nasty (especially the bathroom.) But the Hub has since moved I believe.
The "new" hub is just as bad as the old one. Except costs went up and they charge more for their nasty drinks.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 AM

420 posts, read 804,683 times
The Hyatt downtown is great! As for stuff around the hotel, I recommend Fly Bar on Franklin St. Close to it is also TAPS which is a nice lounge. Tampa's downtown is growing, but the nightlife is still about two years away. These two establishments have done well and are a good time on a good night. Channelside can be fun but it's relatively mild now. If you're looking for a club, there isn't one there but Howl at the Moon and Stumps can be fun. Ybor is easy access from downtown and have many clubs and bars but I prefer S. Howard Ave (a quick cab ride away) where the quality of clubs and bars are much better. Hope this helps.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:55 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,123,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
Tampa's downtown is growing, but the nightlife is still about two years away.
I heard this same quote in 2001 when I moved to Tampa.

A great sports bar one block south of the Hyatt is Hattricks (107 S Franklin). Good food and beer selection, dozens of TVs (mostly hockey) and attractive waitstaff. Don't bother with the sports bar at the Marriott or Gilligan's, also nearby. Jackson's (601 S. Harbour Island Blvd -- same street as Franklin) is a waterfront restaurant a couple blocks south of that and aspires to be a "high-end club" on the weekends: cover charge, DJs, bottle service, etc. If that's your scene it is a very good example of it.

The St Pete Times Forum is dark that weekend, so there will be very little going on at the bars around there (if they bother to open at all). The walk from the Hyatt to Channelside is about 6 blocks, but will be a very desolate one - nothing but abandoned buildings and parking lots.

As for the recommendation of taking the trolley to Ybor: walking to the nearest stop, waiting for the next trolley, and taking it to Ybor is a minimum of a 45-60 minute excursion and a $2.50 cost. A cab ride is about $6-7 and will take 5 minutes from the front door of the Hyatt. If I was on a business trip/vacation to Tampa, I would not want to waste 2 hours of my evening traveling at 5 miles an hour on an empty streetcar. This was not good advice.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
I heard this same quote in 2001 when I moved to Tampa.
Well, not quite that long, but at least since 2003. In 2001, there was virtually no one living in downtown AT ALL. The only thing resembling living downtown was One Laurel Place which is pretty much on the North side of downtown. Then around 2003 things blew up and the building boom hit. All these suckers that paid inflated prices for places like Skypoint really got killed in the process. There was zero restaurant infrastructure open past 2pm except Channelside, which was mostly a ghost town and a couple places like Hattricks and Newks.

But yea, downtown has been "up and coming" for a long time, and here it's 2011 and there is no supermarket or even a bodega type place.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:33 PM

72 posts, read 167,744 times
Thanks guys... Sounds like there will be plenty to do for the weekend on top of meetings and a bucks game!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay