Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 03:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
There absolutely is a difference, like 80 degrees in FL can suck, and 80 degrees in vegas is awesome. But when you are up over 110, there is no hiding from it... its hot, dry or not
There certainly is a difference between dry heat and humidity. Out west it always cools down at night, here it is hot and sticky with no relief.

In fact it seems get worse here at night with the humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
It is two completely different climates. One is called "the desert" and the other is called "sub tropical".

We are in a sub tropical zone.

I've been to Vegas in the summer. July. Crazynip is right, hot is hot.
But that heat is serious heat. It is dry which keeps you awful thirsty.
Just like being in the desert.

I was quite happy to get back to my sticky, humid, fragrant air here in FL after being there a few days.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:05 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
This is hilarious, but I will play along...

FACT: It's been 100 degrees F exactly ONCE in Tampa, and that was years ago, never in Pinellas county.

FACT: I have a 2300 square foot 2 story house with 2 AC units, I have NEVER paid more than $300/month in the dead of Summer, and from October to March, my power bill averages $60/mo

Pest control is real hard, pay a pest control company like $150 per year.

FACT: A hurricane has not hit the Tampa bay area since the 1920's...
Tampa never gets any action from troipcal weather let alone much of any rain my part of Tampa.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It is two completely different climates. One is called "the desert" and the other is called "sub tropical".

We are in a sub tropical zone.

I've been to Vegas in the summer. July. Crazynip is right, hot is hot.
But that heat is serious heat. It is dry which keeps you awful thirsty.
Just like being in the desert.

I was quite happy to get back to my sticky, humid, fragrant air here in FL after being there a few days.
That's right there is a difference, as I pointed out.

And Nevada has beautiful scenery. Something besides flat land.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:46 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
I've been out west and dont believe that "dry heat" bull****, it's hot as ****, and there is no escaping it. I go to vegas regularly and it's miserable in the summer. You can literally DIE from the heat out there, you cant here.
Oh believe it. When I was a kid I lived in the Mojave Desert in CA. It was hot but it WAS a dry heat. It could be miserable but it was nothing, not even close, not even in the same fricken galaxy as the horrifying humidity in South Florida. Only place hotter was Houston, TX. I knew what it felt like to be a turkey baking in the oven on Thanksgiving...and basted while baking!

Old 12-13-2011, 05:51 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
I don't like Miami either! Too hot for me, even when on days that you get a break here. People undersestimate the difference in weather between Miami and the rest of Florida, but it is for real..
I was very aware of the weather in other parts of the state because I was researching other parts for two years before I decided to move out of state, completely.

The point is, she is in for a shock. Not only weather wise but a culture shock.

All I'm telling her is to be prepared. As I said, FL sounds like a paradise and it can be....but it is NOT for everyone even if some places are nicer than others, as far as people. It IS different than up here in Maine and I hope that she spends a little more time in person in FL before they make up their minds.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:16 PM

Certainly it is different than Maine. I would have to say FL is a lot different than many places. I would hope the weather is different 3,000 miles south of Maine.

What "culture" do you refer to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I was very aware of the weather in other parts of the state because I was researching other parts for two years before I decided to move out of state, completely.

The point is, she is in for a shock. Not only weather wise but a culture shock.

All I'm telling her is to be prepared. As I said, FL sounds like a paradise and it can be....but it is NOT for everyone even if some places are nicer than others, as far as people. It IS different than up here in Maine and I hope that she spends a little more time in person in FL before they make up their minds.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:17 PM

The have mountains or desert. Neither of which appeal much to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's right there is a difference, as I pointed out.

And Nevada has beautiful scenery. Something besides flat land.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:27 PM

31 posts, read 49,659 times
Tampa has a lot to offer if you do your research and set expectations. Much of the negativity is over the top.

Crime and traffic are low, housing is affordable if you have lived in a big city (Chi, NY, DC etc)- depends on perspective. Hurricane risk is lower for a subtropical city

Old 12-13-2011, 07:39 PM

31 posts, read 49,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
The Tampa area was recently voted one of the saddest places to live.

Enjoy Tampa !
Crying all the way to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay