Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:36 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
I hear repeatedly from the malcontents on this site (and the St Pete Times) about how everything is "ruined". I just don't know what that means.

Can you be more specific? I am having trouble even wrapping my head around the concept that the area is ruined, broken, gone to hell in a handbasket, etc.
Apparently they long for the days when this was in uninhabited swamp with no air conditioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 04:42 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Everyone is welcome to post as long as you do not come here only to bash the area or to try and start an argument with other members.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:03 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,009 times
I'm just trying to figure out what is so bad about Tampa Bay compared to other locales. It is a recurrent theme in many postings, usually from a small set of very angry and vocal contributors.

I moved here a decade ago because I think that it is a great place, so I'm confused when people are telling me that it is the worst place on earth (Men's Health included) without giving any concrete explanations.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:07 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
I'm just trying to figure out what is so bad about Tampa Bay compared to other locales. It is a recurrent theme in many postings, usually from a small set of very angry and vocal contributors.

I moved here a decade ago because I think that it is a great place, so I'm confused when people are telling me that it is the worst place on earth (Men's Health included) without giving any concrete explanations.
It's a great place. The only people saying bad things about it are people who cant afford to live outside a ghetto apartment, or people who cant afford to move here and are bitter (like the Ohio people)

Old 12-16-2011, 06:00 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
You live in a place many Americans would love to and where many millions of people come to visit every year from all over the world.
The sun shines.
The beaches are fantastic.
There are nice bars and restaurants.
There's plenty to see and do.
Yet when you read most of the posts on here people seem to hate their lives, hate where they live, hate themselves.
Count your blessings people.
Thank you for the reminder. I'm not sure why people feel compelled to spew negativity, but I feel sorry for them. If you can't find something to be happy about here, you are making the choice to be miserable. This place is beautiful and the weather is phenomenal. I am so lucky that I finally get to live here.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:27 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Thank you for the reminder. I'm not sure why people feel compelled to spew negativity, but I feel sorry for them. If you can't find something to be happy about here, you are making the choice to be miserable. This place is beautiful and the weather is phenomenal. I am so lucky that I finally get to live here.
You are so right, Sunnydee. It is my belief that some people enjoy being miserable, and maybe feel they don't deserve to be happy. So they try to justify it by convincing others to be the same. But rest assured, MOST people who live in Florida are like you and me; they appreciate it and love it, they just don't post on city-data.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:27 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
In my 5 years of being on CD.. I have found that most ppl who 'hate' an area are usually ones that did not want to move to Tampa or FL in the first place. I don't understand how you can hate everything but I guess it is the only way they can vent their frustration.

Life is what you make it and it is too short to be so unhappy. JMO

Old 12-17-2011, 09:02 AM

5,019 posts, read 7,224,561 times
I don't hate everything about Florida-quite the contrary. I hate the weather and politics of Florida. The weather is a constant and nothing to do about it so I'll be relocating soon. The demographics of Florida have changed-there's more and more people who were either born here or spent virtually their entire life here and that's a good thing. I think one of the reasons Tallahassee was allowed to get so corrupt was the old "What do I care? I'm retired and don't care what they do as long as the early bird specials are in effect and I can play golf " attitude. People are paying more attention, they actually analyze issues instead of voting exclusively by party line (eg. Amendments 5 & 6 passed by large majorities of voters from both parties ). While the election of Reek Scoot befuddles me (and makes me question it's validity) he's shown the citizens who REALLY runs Florida, and the citizens aren't happy about it.

I'm hopeful for the people of Florida-they seem to be slowly awakening from their "cheap living/tropical weather" induced coma and realizing that the future DOES matter, that just because YOUR kids went to school up north, Florida schools are still important, too. People are demanding some accountability from Tallahassee. Not there yet (anyone want to bet against Progress Energy getting everything they want from the PSC over the Crystal River fiasco?), but many times better than it was.

I still hate the weather, though.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:02 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
This could be part of the problem, no? Im a Pinellas county native and based on my own personal experience, I have watched this area be ruined by those that visit and those that THINK they want to live here but then realize its not what they expected. This area does still have some great perks but they are becoming severely limited as time goes on.
I'm one of those dang part-timers in Pinellas County. I'm sorry for what you lost, but the dolphins playing, the fish jumping, the birds fishing, the crabs working the beach, the sunsets over the gulf, year-round pool swimming, sunshine, etc. probably are a lot like they were 20 or 40 years ago. And the number of amenities like restaurants and bars have probably increased quite a bit due to the visitors.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:12 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
This could be part of the problem, no? Im a Pinellas county native and based on my own personal experience, I have watched this area be ruined by those that visit and those that THINK they want to live here but then realize its not what they expected. This area does still have some great perks but they are becoming severely limited as time goes on.
I think a lot of native floridians feel the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay