U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2012, 10:34 AM
 
80 posts, read 145,888 times
Reputation: 42

Advertisements

I read an article that people are renting houses that are in forecloser and some are renting houses from people that do not even own them!

I have rented my last 3 homes and other than finding out my 2nd home the landlord wasn't paying the taxes, I have had good experience. I have never had to pay an application fee or have my credit checked.

Those who are renting houses, did you go through an agency or take a gamble with Craigslist?

Any companies you would suggest?


Right now I am not 100% sure where we will live but the options right now are Brandon, Riverview, Parrish, our a burb of Tampa. I'll be working in Riverview across from the Brandon Mall near Bright House.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2012, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Beach
3,380 posts, read 8,244,340 times
Reputation: 2930
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmama32 View Post
I read an article that people are renting houses that are in forecloser and some are renting houses from people that do not even own them!

I have rented my last 3 homes and other than finding out my 2nd home the landlord wasn't paying the taxes, I have had good experience. I have never had to pay an application fee or have my credit checked.

Those who are renting houses, did you go through an agency or take a gamble with Craigslist?

Any companies you would suggest?


Right now I am not 100% sure where we will live but the options right now are Brandon, Riverview, Parrish, our a burb of Tampa. I'll be working in Riverview across from the Brandon Mall near Bright House.

I gambled with Craigslist. You can search property tax records at Hillsborough County Property Appraiser. This will show you the name of the owner. If the person you are working with does not have the same name... that's a red flag. You'll also be able to see if the taxes have been paid. Search the owner's name in google with the word foreclosure, do it again with trial and court. See if anything turns up.

This will greatly reduce your odds of being scammed but will not eliminate it.

You will also want to check for Chinese Drywall if renting a home built between 2004 - 2008.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 12:25 PM
 
1,106 posts, read 2,048,839 times
Reputation: 954
When I rented my own properties out, I added a clause to my rental contracts for the benefit of my lessees that stated something along the lines of "if the lessor is delinquent with property taxes or loan payments, rent will be reduced to $0.00/month retroactively to the date that the payment was due and will continue to be $0.00/month until the date that the payments are made current."

Since there was a 0% chance of this happening, I felt confident enough to make that offer.

In this case, if the landlord tries to stop their tax or mortgage payments, you can halt rent payments and personally sue them for the rent that you have already paid while keeping the lease in force (they cannot evict you if they fail to perform on the lease agreement).

I suggest renters demand a clause like this on their leases. If a landlord refuses, they are probably a crook.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 12:25 PM
 
80 posts, read 145,888 times
Reputation: 42
Are there certain areas that are more prone to the Chinese Drywall?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
3,237 posts, read 5,477,092 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmama32 View Post
Are there certain areas that are more prone to the Chinese Drywall?
Yea, pretty much all the houses built 2005-2007.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 PM
 
1,106 posts, read 2,048,839 times
Reputation: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Yea, pretty much all the houses built 2005-2007.
Why you are still allowed to post on this forum is beyond me.

Like many of his wacky rants, crazynip's statement is a complete falsehood.

Between 2006 and 2008 (the years of the drywall issues), there were about 4.5 million residential units completed. The latest estimates are that about 60-100,000 of these may be affected by the defective drywall. If you want to add 2005, add another 2 million units to the total.

That is a rate of about 1-2%, not "pretty much all of them".

If you are going to continue to post flat-out lies to people that are seeking information about the area, don't lie about data which is easily obtainable. It makes you look even more uneducated than your posts usually suggest.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
3,237 posts, read 5,477,092 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
Why you are still allowed to post on this forum is beyond me.

Like many of his wacky rants, crazynip's statement is a complete falsehood.

Between 2006 and 2008 (the years of the drywall issues), there were about 4.5 million residential units completed. The latest estimates are that about 60-100,000 of these may be affected by the defective drywall. If you want to add 2005, add another 2 million units to the total.

That is a rate of about 1-2%, not "pretty much all of them".

If you are going to continue to post flat-out lies to people that are seeking information about the area, don't lie about data which is easily obtainable. It makes you look even more uneducated than your posts usually suggest.
Where did you get the 1-2% thing? I dont think ANYONE knows how many are affected. I would be very hesitant to buy a home made during that time. I dont know if there is any effective test for it either.

It's obviously not all of them, but it's more than 2%. It was all over the news for quite a while...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 11:08 PM
 
Location: FL
1,711 posts, read 2,781,513 times
Reputation: 1866
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I gambled with Craigslist. You can search property tax records at Hillsborough County Property Appraiser. This will show you the name of the owner. If the person you are working with does not have the same name... that's a red flag. You'll also be able to see if the taxes have been paid. Search the owner's name in google with the word foreclosure, do it again with trial and court. See if anything turns up.

This will greatly reduce your odds of being scammed but will not eliminate it.

You will also want to check for Chinese Drywall if renting a home built between 2004 - 2008.
Now in Citrus County it will show what the tax bill is but it doesn't say wheteher they've been paid or not. The final column is Direct Sales Est. and it shows on the particular property I'm looking at 0$ for 5 consecutive years. What do suppose this means? condemned or possibly the owner just owes 5 years back taxes and the lot could possibly be put on a tax deed auction?

I think the owner (it's still in his name) took a beating on it as he bought roughly a 1/2 acre with well and septic for 24k around 2005. I notice a lot of tax deed properties (vacant lots) being picked up for a song and dance around here, $1500-$2000, heck with a well and septic and electric drop already in place they're plug and play ready for a mobile or manufactured, makes one think about becoming a slumlord.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Wake County, NC
2,983 posts, read 4,010,986 times
Reputation: 3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
When I rented my own properties out, I added a clause to my rental contracts for the benefit of my lessees that stated something along the lines of "if the lessor is delinquent with property taxes or loan payments, rent will be reduced to $0.00/month retroactively to the date that the payment was due and will continue to be $0.00/month until the date that the payments are made current."

Since there was a 0% chance of this happening, I felt confident enough to make that offer.

In this case, if the landlord tries to stop their tax or mortgage payments, you can halt rent payments and personally sue them for the rent that you have already paid while keeping the lease in force (they cannot evict you if they fail to perform on the lease agreement).

I suggest renters demand a clause like this on their leases. If a landlord refuses, they are probably a crook.
I wouldn't let prospective tenants make "demands" on my lease agreements. I'm also not a crook.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 04:53 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
3,237 posts, read 5,477,092 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I wouldn't let prospective tenants make "demands" on my lease agreements. I'm also not a crook.
Yea, that's not something I would allow either as a landlord. As said tax collector website is the best way. You may not always be able to see if the home is in foreclosure though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:31 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top