Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times

Advertisements

Isn't this paper one of the only ones left not owned by a Big Corporation? I thought Warren Buffet owned a ton of newspapers. I seem to recall reading a couple weeks ago how the Trib was still 'locally' owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 12:05 AM

451 posts, read 933,826 times
What's in a name? What newspaper is more openly hated than the St. Pete / Tampa Bay Times by the "church" of Scientology? I'm personally quite proud that the leading voice of dissent against this modern cult is a local newspaper. The name change has no bearing on its journalistic value or its public reach. I respect this local organization for the questions it asks despite the cult-style defense.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
For us who have no monetary stake in the paper, what does it matter what the name is?
The gist of the topic was more than just the newspaper name change,Its about growing up in St Pete and now watching Tampa dominate the entire area where everything is no longer Tampa /St Pete but just Tampa, even the beaches and ball park are considered Tampa.
Not really a big deal to any one but me, but remembering how most people i grew up with thought Tampa to be an irrelevant place to the east with few bars no beaches and not much point in going to whereas St Pete at the time was the place with a vibrant downtown and miles of beaches with restaurants and bars aplenty.Maybe if you remember the Webb City era you might get where i'm coming from.. ..

Last edited by jambo101; 08-23-2012 at 01:32 AM..

Old 08-23-2012, 09:13 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times
I just subscribed to the Tampa Tribune (I've also been a subscriber of the St Pete/Tampa Bay Times for a decade) after they offered me a year of weekends for a whopping 25 cents a week. After reading a couple issues, I'm not sure I'm getting my money's worth.

The Trib will be gone within 3-5 years. I'm not even sure how they operate with their tiny subscriber base, and now they are selling papers to people like me at a loss.

The TBT name change was brilliant, and they won't have to change it again when the Trib finally vanishes.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:15 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
The Times was always an extreme left wing mullet wrapper. I don't read it and I don't miss it.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:35 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
I have a subscription to the Times newspaper. I think it's a great source of local news.

As for the Tribune, I think they are about to close their doors. Media General, which owns the Tribune, recently sold all their newspaper holdings(except the Tribune) to Warren Buffet. He didn't want to buy it and apparently they can't find anyone else who is interested in it either. It's supposedly losing millions.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:23 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
I just subscribed to the Tampa Tribune (I've also been a subscriber of the St Pete/Tampa Bay Times for a decade) after they offered me a year of weekends for a whopping 25 cents a week. After reading a couple issues, I'm not sure I'm getting my money's worth.

The Trib will be gone within 3-5 years. I'm not even sure how they operate with their tiny subscriber base, and now they are selling papers to people like me at a loss.

The TBT name change was brilliant, and they won't have to change it again when the Trib finally vanishes.
I can't guarantee that they will even be delivering a product by the end of your subscription, but if anyone is interested, they've dropped their prices even further.

LivingSocial is now offering the Tampa Tribune for Thu-Sun delivery for 8 cents an issue. That's not a typo.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:34 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
I can't guarantee that they will even be delivering a product by the end of your subscription, but if anyone is interested, they've dropped their prices even further.

LivingSocial is now offering the Tampa Tribune for Thu-Sun delivery for 8 cents an issue. That's not a typo.
I have paid about $60 a year for the Times for the last few years, about 16 cents an issue, actually closer to about 14 cents when you figure in they keep delivering for about 2 months more while they try to get me to re-up while I keep saying no because they won't match the old price I paid.
They eventually come back to reality and I sign back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: