Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 12:17 PM

9 posts, read 30,859 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I am looking to move to downtown Tampa from Palm Harbor. I like Palm Harbor but I'm 23 and want more ppl around my age. So I am looking for a luxury high rise apartment downtown in a safe area. Budget is probably around $1000-1100.

Now for ppl who have lived in high rise apartments what are some pros and cons? I think it would be awesome to live in one with all the views. Any input is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 03:38 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,212,739 times
I once lived on the top floor (16th) in a place several years ago - it took getting used to since I don't enjoy intermediate heights. Standing on my balcony looking down would give me the heebie jeebies (sweaty palms, etc). Biggest irritation for me was whenever I bought groceries, getting the stuff from the car to home was a hassle. Probably need to use a cart of some sort to save trips.

From what I see, looks like a fun place to live (downtown Tampa). I walk by a couple of them (high rise apts, forget the name) once-in-awhile at night and it seems somewhat deserted. I've seen homeless in the area and would have concerns about security in the area, especially p.m.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:47 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,279,394 times
Think your budget is WAY too low.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,595,594 times
Can you get a roommate and double the budget? I was at the Florida Aquarium on Friday and saw some highrises around there that looked great...Channelside is fine but the area around there is loaded with homeless and I wonder how it would be night?

Old 01-11-2012, 07:24 AM

420 posts, read 860,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdonnel1 View Post
Hey guys I am looking to move to downtown Tampa from Palm Harbor. I like Palm Harbor but I'm 23 and want more ppl around my age. So I am looking for a luxury high rise apartment downtown in a safe area. Budget is probably around $1000-1100.

Now for ppl who have lived in high rise apartments what are some pros and cons? I think it would be awesome to live in one with all the views. Any input is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!!
If you can bump your limit to $1200, you should be able to find a rental in a highrise. I would look at the Element.

Some initial cons: if you have a dog, it can become a hassle to go down the entire building just to take your dog on a walk. Parking garages are also crammed and can take 10 minutes of driving just to get to a spot.

The pros are endless though especially for the Element. You can walk to everything that you need and while downtown is still not where Tampa wants it to be, your essential needs are easily met.

I profusely recommend downtown Tampa only second to the Hyde Park area. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:51 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,552,233 times
A 30-something pilot friend of mine has lived in Skypoint for the past 2 years. He says it's noisy, convenient to everything downtown, and the views are amazing. And the pet owners irritate him. Seems there are too many to suit him.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:21 AM

913 posts, read 869,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Think your budget is WAY too low.
funny that, last i checked most of those downtown high rise apartment complexes were mostly vacant. if they're not going to rent them or sell them for the highest price they can get, (prob less than $1000 in this economy), then who are they going to do with them, tear them down?

Old 01-12-2012, 01:27 PM

26 posts, read 64,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
funny that, last i checked most of those downtown high rise apartment complexes were mostly vacant. if they're not going to rent them or sell them for the highest price they can get, (prob less than $1000 in this economy), then who are they going to do with them, tear them down?
There are a lot of vacant (but owned) units. Skypoint, the Channel Towers were completely sold out. Of course units have come back on the market but you would be surprised, there aren't as many vacancies downtown as people think.

http://www.tampasdowntown.com/userfi...0Forum/HCP.pdf

I agree though that OP's budget for a high rise may be a bit low, maybe $1200-1300 for a 600sq ft place in skypoint from a private owner but most the decent sized condos start closer $1500-1700

OP's budget does not rule him out of downtown at all though. You could easily find a place for a $1000-1100 in Channelside or Harbour Island.

You may get some type of move in special at the Element but unless you feel like moving every year more than likely rent will go up when it's time to renew, which could put you back out of budget. It's just easier to negotiate with a private owner. Find a realtor that deals in rentals downtown tell them your budget and I'm sure they will find you something.

Irishiis49 Channelside is absolutely fine at night, maybe you happened by during a homeless AA meeting (lol) but I rarely see homeless in Channelside district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: