Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 05:44 PM

16 posts, read 31,409 times

Advertisements

Taking the family to Treasure Island for ten days in April. So far I'm considering condos in the Land's End or Sunset Vistas buildings. Is one better than the other or does anyone have suggestions for better locations? I'd like to be on the beach with a gulf view.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 04:38 PM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ OTW View Post
Taking the family to Treasure Island for ten days in April. So far I'm considering condos in the Land's End or Sunset Vistas buildings. Is one better than the other or does anyone have suggestions for better locations? I'd like to be on the beach with a gulf view.
Thanks.
All depends on budget.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:19 PM

Thanks....I was planning on staying at the Bilmar Motel but a friend said "You're nuts! Book a condo instead!" I looked at Sunset Vistas but they would only take a Saturday to Saturday time period. I ended up booking a 2 bed/2 bath condo in the South Beach building that was $400.00 less than the same time period at the Bilmar. I wanted to be in a place on the beach.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:11 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
Quote:
Thanks....I was planning on staying at the Bilmar Motel but a friend said "You're nuts! Book a condo instead!" I looked at Sunset Vistas but they would only take a Saturday to Saturday time period. I ended up booking a 2 bed/2 bath condo in the South Beach building that was $400.00 less than the same time period at the Bilmar. I wanted to be in a place on the beach.
I've actually stayed at the Bilmar.

I thought it was very reasonable. For Florida residents, it's only around $165 night total for room with ocean view and a kitchen. So if you found a place that is that much cheaper, you did pretty well.

I've never booked a condo before though, do they have maid service and all the other ammenities that go with a hotel resort?

Old 07-17-2011, 03:46 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
This one is smack across the street from the beach, it has inlet view:
Luxurious Five Star Beach Condo in Treasure Island Florida

But it may be better price wise. Publix is in a short walk too, and it comes with everything you need.

Its a 2/2 and has parking.

Quote:
Thanks.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:28 AM

I checked that one out too, algia. We ended up going with this one;
Vacationrentals.com Treasure Island Condo Deal! 2 bedroom Condo sleeps 6 in Treasure Island, Florida - Just Bring Your Toothbrush To Our New Beachfront Condo

Here's the google view:
11360 Gulf Boulevard, Treasure Island, FL 33706. - Google Maps

Based in part on the reviews and speaking with the owner. The owners live in town and run and manage the rentals themselves; No management company. They seem to take a lot of pride in their place, and it was $400.00 less over ten days than the Bilmar. Sunset Vistas looked huge. Not sure I wanted to be in that big of a building. While looking at the google view, I remembered the Thunderbird motel (next to the Bilmar) where I stayed with my family as a kid 40 years ago! Nostalgia didn't get the better of me though, and I went with the condo!

I don't really need hotel amenities. With a kitchen and a washer and dryer in the condo and some type of store with food nearby, that's all I need really.

I also passed on Land's End being all the way at the end of the Island and based on some negative reviews.

Now that I have that settled....Any suggestions on restaurants?

How about bars frequented by the locals?

Touristy traps to avoid?

Kid stuff to do?

Grown-up stuff to do?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:06 AM

428 posts, read 1,472,631 times
Quote:

Now that I have that settled....Any suggestions on restaurants?

How about bars frequented by the locals?

Touristy traps to avoid?

Kid stuff to do?

Grown-up stuff to do?
I assume you'll have a car?

Good Restaurants nearby:

Middle Grounds Grill - TI
Carino's Italian - SPB (St. Pete Beach, near TI)
O'Bistro- St. Pete (2 miles from TI on Central Avenue)
Max and Sam's Steakhouse- St. Pete (close to TI on Park Blvd.)
Foxy's - TI
Larry's Ice Cream - SPB
Oystershuckers - SPB

Kid's stuff/family:

Walk Johns Pass Village- a little touristy and kitschy but a good way to spend a couple hours
Miniature golf- a few good courses nearby

Local bars:
Ricky T's - TI
Max and Sams - SP
Woody's - SPB
Philthy Phils - SPB

Old 07-17-2011, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the tips! Yes, I'll absolutely have a car. I'm thinking I may be right at home at Philthy Phils....Just a hunch....

Old 02-19-2012, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,171 times
Many, Many good lookin' females at Philthy Phils.
Send the old lady out for some shell hunting.
Don't get caught !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay